Ether 12:27 - God Gives Weaknesses

lds9999

This is likely a very familiar scripture to most, found in Ether 12:27.

And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them.

I love the message of this scripture, but had never before really caught the "I [God] give unto men weakness". I had never really thought of this before--is this interesting, thought-provoking, or new to anyone else?

I just find it interesting that it is the Lord who gives us weaknesses.

It took me a long time to realize the significance of this passage as well. It just goes to show that our trials will be for our own good and that if we just endure the Lord is by our side! Thank you for reminding me of this important message, it is something I need reminded of :)

Guest tomk

It is not "new" to me, but it has not lost any of its wonder. It truly is humbling and amazing that the Lord would GIVE unto us our weaknesses.

Kinda makes it sound like He "knows" us or something. :)

If you know what challenges will cause a person to grow, then if you give those challenges to that person, is it a punishment or a blessing?

Weaknesses are one of the best ways that God shows His love for us, are they not?

Great post, lds!!!!!

And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them.

I love the message of this scripture, but had never before really caught the "I [God] give unto men weakness". I had never really thought of this before--is this interesting, thought-provoking, or new to anyone else?

When the Savior sees our own sincerity and being humbled before Him, we are shown our fallible weakness before Him. We begin the process of asking for help from His Son in making these weaknesses be our strengths. For me, it was speech impairment in my childhood, which I have now overcome. Later, it is now writing and at times, quick to anger due to my impatience with my fellow brethren.

We learn by our mistakes to use the divine support to overcome many of our own obstacles that faces us daily. All of which, keep us humbled before Them. What is our reward? We are provided with a 'personal trainer' in becoming like Him - typo Christ.

Sometimes weaknesses are bitter pills. In my life I have felt the Lord "molding" me and "pruning" me and pulling me in certain directions in life, both symbolically and literally. I have faced challenges that have caused me literally to shrink and not want to drink my cup. I've been literally cornered for years and my only resort was to look to Him. I ended up coining a phrase from it:

"When you're caught between a rock and a hard place, look up!"

Father in heaven knew just where my threshold of endurance was and boy, oh boy did He put me right up to the edge. I know that we are never given challenges greater than we can bear, but I also learned that there is absolutely nothing I cannot do that is not expedient in the Lord. (Does that sound right? I hate double negatives). I have learned to continually look up and now that is all I do. I've learned some tough, tough lessons and I don't ever want to go through them again, but I'm glad I learned because I have grown and am much stronger for it. I guess that's also part of growing older. You go through stages of your life and learn wisdom. Your strengths evolve. This is a great topic!

I was teaching a gospel essentials class a few years ago and in the course of my comments suggested that God gives men weakness. One man did not like this idea at all and felt that God would never give anyone illness or specific trial. We had a nice right row over the subject. :) I couldn't agree with him. I felt like I have felt the gift of weakness come from Father in my life. I think that is one reason why it is easier for me to trust God in the hard trials. I am never sure if He isn't behind the whole process.

In my humble opinion HE did and for a wise purpose. He probally knew that Paul's parents had a genetic problem with speech and it did effect Paul speach. Enoch and Moses had the same issues. See a pattern. I had this issue and found a way to overcame it through a kind dear teacher in my youth.

In the 2004 Ensign, Sister Anne C. Pingree, By Anne C. Pingree, Second Counselor in the Relief Society General Presidency spoke on this subject:

LDS.org - Ensign Article - Making Weak Things Become Strong

Hi....lds9999 - "for when I am weak, then am I strong". (Paul)

Ether 12:27 below is indeed a useful verse. It is well to remember, though, that there are two types of men. The Natural Man and the Spiritual man.

Paul also realized this when He thrice asked the Lord to remove his weakness before the time. And Each time the Lord said No. - Then the Light came on...and he exclaimed..."For when I am weak, then am I strong."

2 Corinthians 12:10 - Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.

The Spiritual Man....is a man who has inherited the promises of Eternal Life in the flesh....He has overcome His Weaknesses. This is the last work a man may do. It is not in reforming others...but oneself.

For example one of the weaknesses of Moses...is stuttering. And if Moses were to come to anyone....One would see that he does not stutter anymore.

John, the Three Nephites who have been allowed to tarry....also has ceased to age, be sick, or have any afflictions. Like the author in Odes of Solomon said....I have received a body free from pain and afflictions.

Paul who also exclaimed..."For when I Am weak, then am I strong" also URGED men to this....."Let us go on unto perfection"

Hebrews 6:1 - THEREFORE leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God,

Peace be unto you

Bert10