Mormon Accent

Snow

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope that I do not hurt or offend anybody...if so, I apologize in advance...

But I can't stand it when people down here (or anywhere) say the following:

striped - stri-PED.

Why do they do that?

If one slices a turkey, we say that they "sliced" the turkey...not "slic-ED" the turkey.

So why does it change for striped? That bugs me.

I've seen some clips on TV and heard some takes on the radio of men from the FLDS saga in Texas.

Some of the men talking have that same accent as Utah Mormons - kind of soft, controlled, benevolent, slightly hick, western accent. I think it comes from watching Conference and trying to emulate, badly, General Authorities.

It's funny! I remember as I joined the church in 1993 in Ukraine I noticed that a lot of the youth there was speaking with the same accent, or better to say inflexion , as American missionaries . Somehow they picked it up from the missionaries, and at first I could not tell who was who! :)

I also heard about the same stores in other countries , and I was wandering about the reasons but never could figure it out!

I hope that I do not hurt or offend anybody...if so, I apologize in advance...

But I can't stand it when people down here (or anywhere) say the following:

striped - stri-PED.

Why do they do that?

If one slices a turkey, we say that they "sliced" the turkey...not "slic-ED" the turkey.

So why does it change for striped? That bugs me.

there was a meeting held one day....and in it they disscussed...what can we do to "bug" Tough Grits.....and now you know what came of the meeting.......:D:D:D

Hmmmm, My wife was born in LaGrande too. Maybe you know each other?;)

Only if she was born at St. Joseph's hospital. I would probably know her then.

My sister who was born and raised in the mid west...went away to college in idaho and ended up in utah....after all these years, she always says crick for creek.....she wasn't raised that way....:)

Excuse me, that is the correct pronunciation- Crick. I was raised in the Pacific Northwest. Just like there isn't a "R" in Washington.

Easterners/tourists/ non-natives to the Oregon Coast insist on pronouncing Yachats Oregon, as Yach-its. It is YaHots. Alsea is just like it is spelled. Al Sea. Not Al-see-ah. Indian names throw people off. If you are not a native to the area, don't go around telling us we are mispronouncing the names. Philometh is Phil-o-meth (emphases on the o and it is a long o, NOT Philo-me-eth. (long i)

Washington is Wash-ing-ton. NOT Warsh-ing-ton. And Oregon is Ora-gun NOT Ora-gone.

Like fingernails on a chalkboard...(to me)..."I ain't gotta do it!"

Sooooo many things wrong with this sentence!

and: I ain't saw it.

How has our language become so "ugly"? I know that grammar is still taught in school, so why are so many Americans sounding illiterate?

Is this just a southern problem...or a So. Georgia problem??? :confused::(

Easterners/tourists/ non-natives to the Oregon Coast insist on pronouncing Yachats Oregon, as Yach-its. It is YaHots. Alsea is just like it is spelled. Al Sea. Not Al-see-ah. Indian names throw people off. If you are not a native to the area, don't go around telling us we are mispronouncing the names. Philometh is NOT Philo-me-eth. (long i)

Washington is Wash-ing-ton. NOT Warsh-ing-ton. And Oregon is Ora-gun NOT Ora-gone.

I live in Washington and I love listening to non-natives trying to pronounce Snohomish, Snoqualamie, Issaquah, and Puyallup, among others. Deffinately have some fun names up here! :lol:

I even lived in Utah for a year, and about the only accent I ever caught was what I termed the "Relief Society" accent, since so many RS presidents I met there had it (including the General RS president!) It's an "accent" where you talk in a high, sweet voice, and do a little tongue click *tst* noise whenever you make a pause.

some don't get the subject and verb to match. Example: "When we was on vacation....".

Or some may substitute a passive verb where an active verb should be. Example: "Did you see the movie? Yes, I seen it"

As a transplant to Utah, I hate that they talk like that here. What's worse is that the school teachers talk like that in class. Spelling and correct word usage are two of my pet peeves.

Today I saw a handwritten note from a coworker posted for all to see. It was a reply to a message requesting him to do his job right so the rest of the employees don't have to carry the load of his incompetence. It went something like this: "to bad your not smart enough 2 know how 2 charge batries. U have to test when its dun. Mabe you need trained. You shuld know bye now how 2 do your job." This guy is 40 years old! I guess he could be suffering from cell phone texting habits, but I think all he can do with his phone is send dirty pictures to his friends.

As for accents, the only ones I notice in my neighborhood are latino accents, and sometimes I catch myself start to take on that accent when I have long conversations with customers that speak only limited english.

Like fingernails on a chalkboard...(to me)..."I ain't gotta do it!"

Sooooo many things wrong with this sentence!

and: I ain't saw it.

How has our language become so "ugly"? I know that grammar is still taught in school, so why are so many Americans sounding illiterate?

Is this just a southern problem...or a So. Georgia problem??? :confused::(

No, not just a southern problem. Didn't this start about the same time that Politically Correct took hold of our country. To me, Politically Correct means not having accountability (among other things). My motto is: Annihilate it, Stomp it out, Death to Politically Correct!

Don't the intercity schools teach street slang? Yo bro, wazzup??

I don't know about other schools, but the ones here pass you regardless of your grades. They don't want any 16 year olds in the 3rd grade!

no it isn't.....

Yes it is, yes it is, yes it is,

Yes it is, yes it is, yes it is.

and I don't put an "R" in washington......although there are alot of people that do....[/quote]I didn't say that you did

no it isn't.....

and I don't put an "R" in washington......although there are alot of people that do....[/quote]I didn't say that you did

nope and I never said you accused me of that....I did say that alot of people around here do....

I'll ask and get back to you. Do you know anyone from there named Maggie?

Actually I've known Maggie a number of years. Does your wife know of her as well?

no it isn't.....

My mom used to pronounce Washington as Woishington. I hated it.