Finances and Death

MorningStar

This same thing has come up with me for a couple of family members. I didn't have the cash to go to their funeral in another state. Rather than go into debt...I spoke to their children who understood my situation. For me...now this is just my personal feeling...unless it were a parent or a sibling I wouldn't go into debt to attend. Most families are understanding of these things.

I agree with pam. If it were a close family member, or a close friend I would go.

When my mother died, I let the family members that lived out of state know that I did not expect them to travel here for the funeral, nor were they to feel bad that they could not make it.

I think it more important to try to see/spend time with our loved ones while they are still with us.

We really want to go and comfort my husband's brother, so we're praying about it. If we do go, we have to leave for Utah tomorrow morning. We're guessing that the gas will be at least $500. I'm waiting for my husband to come home and let me know if his work will even let him off for it.