Question prompted by fent's response to garment question

Stacey_Jay

Fent, you said you wrote to the first presidency. I will ask you how you went about this but anyone else can reply too...how do you go about this as this is something Ive considered doing and your post made me decide to do it. Can you write to them as a presidency or individually? Do they personally read it or is done through a secretary? Where can I get an address? Thanks to anyone who replies.

I once wrote a letter Pres. Monson about 7 years ago regarding a book he wrote. I wrote to him directly using the church HQ address. I received a nice letter back, which was probably written by his secretary.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

50 East North Temple

Salt Lake City , UT

United States

Edited by miztrniceguy
added

Anyone can write the First Presidency or Twelve. If it is a doctrinal or policy issue, they will usually refer you back to your bishop or stake president.

If it is an inspiring story, they do appreciate them, and have been known to use a few in General Conference on occasion.

Oh yes, you have to use the chain of command. Most of the things you have questions about your bishop or even your home teachers in some cases can answer. I remember when my mother was getting home teachers and I was inactive I had asked a question they couldn't answer so we spent the entire lesson looking for the answer. Not only was it fun to do, but I now know for fact the stance of Polygamy in the church and I have quite a few funny quotes from the search.

So far, no one I have spoken to has been able to answer my questions. My bishop just tells me to pray and read my scriptures-this is half the problem, ive done it for years and gained nothing from it. I have more specific questions that can't be answered by prayer. Anyhow, thanks for the address.

It may be that your questions may not have doctrinal answers right now. As long as it isn't a righteousness or temple issue, you may wish to ask a few people online or others that you trust, who are knowledgeable, who may be able to give you some insight into possibilities.

So far, no one I have spoken to has been able to answer my questions. My bishop just tells me to pray and read my scriptures-this is half the problem, ive done it for years and gained nothing from it. I have more specific questions that can't be answered by prayer. Anyhow, thanks for the address.

I think they may be giving you this answer because they want to gain the answer for yourself. Sometimes if we're fed answers, they mean less to us than if we "discover" them on our own. However, if you've been asking your Bishop several times for an answer, he ought to be picking up that you're not finding it very easily on your own. How many other people have you asked your questions to? Perhaps we could help. :)

ETA: And I've faced this struggle myself (heck, STILL am) so I totally feel your frustration.

All questions can be answered by prayer. By daily obeying God's commandments with a pure heart and then submitting yourself to humble and patient prayer and fasting then all the mysteries of God can be unfolded before you.

I once heard a talk on BYU about when prayers seem unanswered. I was so impressed with this talk that I wanted to see if I could get a transcript and in my search I saw that this speaker had written a book on this subject. It was his talk just more added. "When Your Prayers Seem Unanswered" by S. Michael Wilcox.

On the leaf of the book:

We have all had times when we feel that the heavens have closed and our supplications have gone unheard. In this inspirational book, author S. Michael Wilcox explains that the Lord often waits until the moment when we have nearly exhausted our resources and our strength to send an answer to our prayers. Citing the example from the NT where Jesus was aware of this disciples' futile struggle to row across the Sea of Galilee in a fierce storm. Brother Wilcox observes that the Savior did not immediately come to their rescue. Likewise, God is not quick to jump in and save us, allowing us to learn from our mistakes and struggles. Filled with examples from the scriptures, literature, and the author's own experiences, this hopeful book testifies also of a coming day when Jesus will finally put an end to all tears and suffering.

It's only 62 pages long but it is filled with such wisdom and it's so easy to relate it to one's own life. I read one of his personal stories to my Activity Day girls when talking about prayer and scripture study and they loved it and understood the message.

Fent, you said you wrote to the first presidency. I will ask you how you went about this but anyone else can reply too...how do you go about this as this is something Ive considered doing and your post made me decide to do it. Can you write to them as a presidency or individually? Do they personally read it or is done through a secretary? Where can I get an address? Thanks to anyone who replies.

You can write to the First Presidency but it is better to find the appropriate General Authority that pertains to that request or proposal in order better to serve the church. When we consider two items for temple garment changes to better serve the members of the Military throughout the church, we forward the [problem & recommended solution] to the Military Committee at church headquarters. Both were approved.

You need to remember when you do make a recommendation; the church grinds slowly when it comes to changes.

In a blog that is studying Alma 32, they are discussing how we must consider the word as a seed, to nourish it, and be patient as it grows.

Then, as it grows, it becomes partial knowledge, or evidence that these things are true.

They are discussing how Korihor and the rich Zoramites insisted on complete knowledge up front before they would believe. Alma explains that it doesn't work that way. If we have complete knowledge, then faith is no longer in play.

But for a lot of people, not having complete knowledge is a nagging and difficult concept. Some insist in their subconscious, if not outright consciously, on having a perfect witness before they will "believe." Others are willing to consider imperfect evidences, but may be impatient and stop waiting and looking and believing.

It truly is a diligence and enduring to the end, before we see the full fruits of our labors. But Americans are impatient, and want quick resolution to everything: Iraq war, high fuel prices, global warming, medical care, and spiritual confirmation.

Knowledge for knowledge sake is a trap. Throughout man's history God has ALWAYS spoken to the simple, the meek, the humble, the "unlearned" and thus fooled the craftiness and the arrogance of the world.

There is nobody that can give you a true answer than you can not obtain by yourself!! Be it the First Presidency, a GA or your Stake President. The truth is revealed to them the same way it is revealed to you; line upon line. I suggest you truly try to get to the bottom of things. Your questions are not new, are not unique and thus should not be so dark and complex than patient study, fasting and prayer could not reveal.

A testimony is a different thing. That is entirely dependent on the full intent and desires of your heart. Such (true thoughts and feelings) you can not hide from God as he is aware of all that is before it becomes, including your thoughts. Until and unless you really, truly desire a testimony of Jesus Christ, his saving mission and endless power of Atonement as it pertains to you nothing will happen. I would not speculate as to what weights in your heart but I suspect that the real battle is waged there.

I hope your faith will not fail you. I hope that you can reconcile the desires of your heart to the will of God. Only when such is accomplished you will truly be happy.