Accounting for other prophets?

bmy-

Aeris (personal email)

My main question is about the validity of prophets. Since Mormonism accepts Joseph Smith as a prophet, they obviously are open to the idea of prophets existing after Jesus. However, what about the supposed prophets in between Jesus and Smith, such as Mohammed? How was it determined that they were false prophets?

That's the main thing I've been thinking about. All of the doctrine I've read really appeals to me, and makes more sense than I anticipated.

I have a loose belief system compared to most LDS members.. but I can't say i'm aware of an official church stance on this issue.

It seems to me as if the 'standard' answer would be 'no authority = no power or permission'..

But you can't deny the good they did. Do you condemn said good men as 'false prophets'? Were they 'men of God' who much like JS did the best they could? Will they be rewarded for seeking 'the truth' much like we will?

The bottom line is that they brought people closer to God. IMO. What are your thoughts?

I think there have been lots of good people on the earth between Jesus and JS who helped people strive for righteousness. The difference between them and JS is that JS was ordained and set apart and given the authority from Jesus to set up His Church. Authority and the Priesthood of God are the keys in this discussion, in my opinion. But that does not diminish the good works of those who came before. They will be rewarded for their good works toward righteousness.

I have a loose belief system compared to most LDS members.. but I can't say i'm aware of an official church stance on this issue.

It seems to me as if the 'standard' answer would be 'no authority = no power or permission'..

But you can't deny the good they did. Do you condemn said good men as 'false prophets'? Were they 'men of God' who much like JS did the best they could? Will they be rewarded for seeking 'the truth' much like we will?

The bottom line is that they brought people closer to God. IMO. What are your thoughts?

I am not aware of any stance concerning Mohammed as far as the LDS church is concerned. I do know that in Islam there is confusion over who the successor of Mohammed should be. Also Mohammed according to most in Islam was a prophet to the Arabic peoples and that translating his works removes its sacredness and that it can no longer be considered as official.

Joseph Smith was the frist Prophet called by G-d to all the peoples of the world since the apostles.

The Traveler

From the quotes of the various holy books in Changed's post, there does seem to be a shared store of universal wisdom. This should by necessity tend to show us that it is nonsensical to view the world in a black and white us versus them. We all share heritage and religious wisdom.

From the quotes of the various holy books in Changed's post, there does seem to be a shared store of universal wisdom. This should by necessity tend to show us that it is nonsensical to view the world in a black and white us versus them. We all share heritage and religious wisdom.

Thanks alot guys. Your answers fit right into my little niche.

I'd suggest for everyone to check out the parallels between JS and Mohammed. It's fascinating. They both really stack up well against the 'prophets of old'.

Regards,

Brandon

I believe they were good men, maybe even divinely inspired in some cases. Honestly, whether or not one is a member of say, the Catholic Church for example, you have to recognize that the world is a better place because churches like it exist, due to it's teaching of many good principles, and vigorous humanitarian aid efforts. If I recall correctly Elder M. Russel Ballard states in his book "Our Search for Happiness" that he believes that God works his will through many of the leaders of faiths other than the LDS.

Just posted this scripture in another thread, but it bears repeating. Alma 29:8:

For behold, the Lord doth grant unto all nations, of their own nation and tongue, to teach his word, yea, in wisdom, all that he seeth fit that they should have; therefore we see that the Lord doth counsel in wisdom, according to that which is just and true.

Does that mean that the Lord sent Mohammed to teach truth? Certainly. Does that mean that we accept the words of Mohammed as a part of our Gospel? Not exactly. Some teachings of the Koran (at least the way it's been handed down over the years) are contrary to the restored gospel. Also, Mohammed did not testify of Jesus as the Son of God. True prophets all testify of the Savior. Thus, Mohammed was a man inspired of God, but not a prophet in the sense that we understand. Same with many of the great spritual leaders of all world religions throughout history.

• 1 month later...

Just an update.. from the lady who caused me to post this thread.

Aeris:

I thought you should know... (Personal Email)

I was baptized into the LDS church

I need to thank you again. You really helped me get started, and I made the best decision of my life.

(sorry, testimony ahead) I know this is the true church, that the Book of Mormon is true, that Joseph Smith was a prophet of God, and that Thomas S. Monson is our living prophet.

I am very happy and at peace now. The past 2 years of searching around finally paid off.

Why is it so easy to sound so corny when talking about religion? Oh well.

All the best,

Alexandra

Just want to say thanks to everyone that helped in this thread. Clean and sincere discussion really can do good in the world.

:animatedthumbsup: [Yes, i'm excited.]

Edited by bmy-

I don't think Mohammed was a Prophet of God....anymore than David Koresh or Jim Jones. By their fruits ye will know them. Sorry...just my opinion.

ahh but what where mohammed's fruits you cant judge him by these facatics anymore then i can judge mormons by the fools who commited the mountain medaow massacre or you can judge catholics by the inquistion. now for mohammed's fruits he took a people worshiping pagan idols and turned them to worshiping one and only true God(tho with a wrong understanding of his nature ill admit)

In the Bible there are several people that are called prophets, but are not, remember that all the twelve are called prophets, seers, and revelators, so we can call Elder Ballard, prophet, and all the other Apostles, prophets.

I also think that anyone that prophesies, would be called a prophet by the people that he relates the prophets warnings to, for example a missionary could be called a preacher, since he, or she, preaches the word of God to people.

I don't mean to condemn anyone, but I get the sense that nobody seems to know squat about Mohammed.

President Kimball (and counselors), shortly before the 1978 revelation on the priesthood, sent out a statement talking about how Christ's light had been granted to the likes of several reformers, etc. Mohammed was the first name on that list.

What's more, is that if you do your homework on Mohammed, you'll find that his descriptions of revelation and visitation are uncannily similar to Joseph Smith's descriptions. In looking at Mohammed's life's progression, one can see that in his early teachings he was SPOT ON. Not until later - when he became a political warrior - did he seem to get a little crazy.

Victor Ludlow, for what it's worth, considers Mohammed to have been a prophet...

My conclusion (which has a value of even less than the Dollar) is that Mohammed began as a righteous prophet, but eventually devolved into a fallen one.

I don't mean to condemn anyone, but I get the sense that nobody seems to know squat about Mohammed.

President Kimball (and counselors), shortly before the 1978 revelation on the priesthood, sent out a statement talking about how Christ's light had been granted to the likes of several reformers, etc. Mohammed was the first name on that list.

What's more, is that if you do your homework on Mohammed, you'll find that his descriptions of revelation and visitation are uncannily similar to Joseph Smith's descriptions. In looking at Mohammed's life's progression, one can see that in his early teachings he was SPOT ON. Not until later - when he became a political warrior - did he seem to get a little crazy.

Victor Ludlow, for what it's worth, considers Mohammed to have been a prophet...

My conclusion (which has a value of even less than the Dollar) is that Mohammed began as a righteous prophet, but eventually devolved into a fallen one.

How were his teachings "spot on" from an LDS view? even early on he denied the death of Christ and he preached a very strict monotheism beliving only in one God as a single unity no Father, Son, or Holy Ghost there was only God who did not begot now was he begotton

I have pondered the traditions and writings of Islam quite a bit. I have read the Qur'an and the Hadith (al-Bukhari) several times (before and after my conversion to the LDS church) and I am not quite convinced. I am not sure of what it is but I do not get a spiritual signal one way or the other,

To begin with the Qur'an is very different from the biblical texts. It is not about Muhammad, there are no miracles of Muhammad, there are no stories about him. It resembles more like the Deuteronomy or Leviticus, very legalistic in style. The Hadith has a more human face since it allegedly records wisdom sayings and "the acts" of Muhammad and other early leaders of Islam.

It is interesting that Muhammad draws from Abraham quite a bit. In his eyes Abraham was the perfect Muslim. He submitted perfectly to the will of Allah by offering Ishmael as a sacrifice. Significant parallel to Hebrew writings as a source material for the creation story, revelation styles and the like.

Still, in my opinion, it lacks the spiritual depth that I was looking for. There is no relationship or kingship with Allah. There is the distant, mighty, powerful, exacting and demanding Allah and us, the created. byproduct of the creation and totally unquestioning, "submitter" subject. Nothing like Christianity.

Just my thoughts

Edited by Islander

Prophet no....Inspired...yes?

Inspired men are placed among all peoples, all nations, all tounges, and all places. As the Law of Moses was a preperatory gospel to the ancient Israelits I believe that it is possible that most world religions are in their own unique ways preperatory gospels. They all teach of Good and Evil and the struggle between them, and generally try to mitigate suffering. I think that perhaps God placed them there so that the basic tenents of the Gospel, that of choosing between good and evil, would be in place when the full Gospel was brought to them.