A Marine and the Book of Mormon

richlittell

My son joined up with the Marines and I was wondering if anyone had some favorite scriptures that might guide and sustain him, I would like to compile some scripture references for him.

I was thinking along things lines like scriptures that justify war and the killing of other men (e.g. Alma 43:9), and the stripling warriors (the lesson of being righteous and enjoying God's protection) and captain Moroni (inspiring), and something that explains why righteous men must sometimes die, etc,.

Anyone want to contribute? Have different ideas?

p.s. this is not a debate about current wars, I myself am not behind everything that politicians get us into, but wars have been the way of human history, and the saints, ancient and old, have often been required to participate, so let's stay on topic :) )

What I gather is that he has done all the paper work, and a physical test and is waiting for a slot to open in Oct or Nov. (my son lives with his mother, and they both can be a bit vague sometimes so I don't always have the exact details).

He lives in Austin, Texas (Georgetown, actually). I don't know where his basic training will take place.

Came across these scriptures from this weeks Sunday School lesson.

Alma 43:9

And now the design of the Nephites was to support their lands and their houses, and their wives, and their children, that they might preserve them from the hands of their enemies; and also that they might preserve their rights and their privileges , yea and also their liberty, that they might worship God according to thier desires.

and

Alma 43:45

Nevertheless, the Nephites were inspired by a better cause, for they were not fighting for monarchy nor power but [for] their liberties ... (46) for the Lord had said unto them, and also unto their fathers, that; Inasmuch as ye are not guilty of the first offense, neither the second, ye shall not suffer yourselves to be slain by the hands of your enemies. (47) .. Ye shall defend your families even unto bloodshed. Therefore, for this cause were the Nephites contending with the Lamanites, to defend themselves, and their families, and their lands, and their country, and their rights, and their religion.

Came across these scriptures from this weeks Sunday School lesson.

Alma 43:9

And now the design of the Nephites was to support their lands and their houses, and their wives, and their children, that they might preserve them from the hands of their enemies; and also that they might preserve their rights and their privileges , yea and also their liberty, that they might worship God according to thier desires.

and

Alma 43:45

Nevertheless, the Nephites were inspired by a better cause, for they were not fighting for monarchy nor power but [for] their liberties ... (46) for the Lord had said unto them, and also unto their fathers, that; Inasmuch as ye are not guilty of the first offense, neither the second, ye shall not suffer yourselves to be slain by the hands of your enemies. (47) .. Ye shall defend your families even unto bloodshed. Therefore, for this cause were the Nephites contending with the Lamanites, to defend themselves, and their families, and their lands, and their country, and their rights, and their religion.

Those are awesome. Perfect!!!!

What I gather is that he has done all the paper work, and a physical test and is waiting for a slot to open in Oct or Nov. (my son lives with his mother, and they both can be a bit vague sometimes so I don't always have the exact details).

He lives in Austin, Texas (Georgetown, actually). I don't know where his basic training will take place.

If I am still here in probation in that timeframe, I may be seeing him...:D

Pam is correct, he will be at San Diego.

The theme sound for the Marines in San Diego: 'Called to Serve' and motto, "Putting on the Whole Armor of God.”

Edited by Hemidakota

The first LDS Sunday I ever had was when I was a Navy recruit at Great Lakes and this was the subject of discussion that day. It was to remind us of the stuff Sailors (and Marines too) we are made of.

Hel. 5: 12

12 And now, my sons, remember, remember that it is upon the arock of our Redeemer, who is Christ, the Son of God, that ye must build your bfoundation; that when the devil shall send forth his mighty winds, yea, his shafts in the whirlwind, yea, when all his hail and his mighty storm shall beat upon you, it shall have no power over you to drag you down to the gulf of misery and endless wo, because of the rock upon which ye are built, which is a sure foundation, a foundation whereon if men build they cannot fall.

The first LDS Sunday I ever had was when I was a Navy recruit at Great Lakes and this was the subject of discussion that day. It was to remind us of the stuff Sailors (and Marines too) we are made of.

Hel. 5: 12

12 And now, my sons, remember, remember that it is upon the arock of our Redeemer, who is Christ, the Son of God, that ye must build your bfoundation; that when the devil shall send forth his mighty winds, yea, his shafts in the whirlwind, yea, when all his hail and his mighty storm shall beat upon you, it shall have no power over you to drag you down to the gulf of misery and endless wo, because of the rock upon which ye are built, which is a sure foundation, a foundation whereon if men build they cannot fall.

Thanks HskrVern, just the kind of thing I was looking for.

I am called by the church to serve the Marines. Is he a recruit, west coast or east coast or is your son now an active Marine? Where is location?

Hemi, are you a Chaplain? If so, I am absolutely GREEN with envy. I'm too old, or I'd be applying for that job.

HiJolly

A few years ago, a few loyal Utahans parents complained about the church key leadership poor handling their youth [recruits]. Complaint was that of kids were not being taken care. The assignment came down to correct this on all fronts from President Boyd K. Packard - Elder Oak - at that time [President of the Seventies] Elder Groberg [Army-Marines-Navy-Air Force]...the rest is history. LOL

Though, I had ask the usual dumb question on why my name appeared for this assignment and was told, it wasn't in the beginning among the few but after some lengthy interviews and reviews, came after lengthy prayer in the walls of the Temple. Apparently, the Spirit [Lord] told the President by name. Ok! Now you know why we don' ask those questions. :o

A few years ago, a few loyal Utahans parents complained about the church key leadership poor handling their youth [recruits]. Complaint was that of kids were not being taken care. The assignment came down to correct this on all fronts from President Boyd K. Packard - Elder Oak - at that time [President of the Seventies] Elder Groberg [Army-Marines-Navy-Air Force]...the rest is history. LOL

Though, I had ask the usual dumb question on why my name appeared for this assignment and was told, it wasn't in the beginning among the few but after some lengthy interviews and reviews, came after lengthy prayer in the walls of the Temple. Apparently, the Spirit [Lord] told the President by name. Ok! Now you know why we don' ask those questions. :o

Awesome.

HiJolly