Healthy but DELICIOUS recipes

breeb

2 16 oz cans tomatoes, cut up. (Cans are now down to 14.5 oz. I get diced.)

1 15 1/2 oz can red kidney beans. (Now 15 oz)

1 15 1/2 oz can garbanzo beans.

1 15 1/2 oz can great northern beans. (I substitute black beans.)

1/2 cup water.

3 medium onions, chopped. (I use 5 onions ...)

2 medium green peppers, chopped. (...and leave these out because I can't eat them.)

2 stalks celery, sliced. (I double this ... )

1 medium zuchinni, halved lengthwise and sliced. (... and this.)

2 cloves garlic, minced

2 teaspoons chili powder. (I use 3 and add 1 t cumin.)

1 1/2 t dried basil, crushed.

1/4 t pepper. (I use a little more and add red pepper flakes.)

1 bay leaf.

4-quart pot. Add UNDRAINED tomatoes and beans, and everything else except the zuchinni. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, simmer for about an hour, until the vegetables are tender. Add the zuchinni and cook until it's tender (hour will turn it to mush).

I start with the onions and the half cup of water and cook them at very low heat until they're about tender. They need more cooking (to my taste) than the other veggies.

No fat in this, so I eat it hot and cold. Less healthy but more hearty is to put sliced hot dogs in it, either by the pot or by the bowl.

Chopped Salad

For the dressing:

1 cup extra virgin olive oil

1/2 cup red wine vinegar

1 tablespoon dijon mustard

2 cloves garlic minced

1 tsp. dried oregano

1 tsp. sugar

1/2 tsp. dry mustard

Salt and pepper to taste

Salad ingredients

1 head iceberg lettuce

Salami (1/4 lb. or more chopped small)

1 chicken breast cooked and cubed

5 roma tomatoes diced small

1/2 can chick peas (garbanzo beans)

provolone and mozzarella cheese, grated (a cup or so)

Half bunch of green onion sliced thin

Fresh basil cut into strips (I do probably a 1/2 cup)

You'll burn calories just making the salad. :D

I love sharing recipes :wub: Here is one I enjoy making and my husband LOVES.

Chicken and Broccoli Casserole

1/2 small onion

3 tablespoons low fat margarine

1/4 cup whole wheat flour

1 1/2 cups chicken broth (I make using chicken bullion cubes)

3/4 cup skim milk

salt and pepper to taste

6 ounces egg noodles

5 cups shredded cooked chicken (about 1 lb)

1 10-oz package frozen chopped broccoli, thawed

2 cups shredded sharp chedder cheese

1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease a medium-size casserole dish and set aside.

2) Melt the butter in a sauce pan, then saute the onion in the butter over medium heat for about 3 minutes. Mix in flour. Gradually stir in the chicken broth, combining well.

3) Gradually add milk to the sauce pan. Cook, stirring continually until thickened - about 5 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.

4) Bring 2 quarts water to boil in another pan. Add the noodles and cook for 6 minutes. Drain the water, then spread the noodles in the cassarole dish evenly. Place the chicken and broccoli over the noodles. Pour the sauce over the chicken and broccoli and sprinkle the cheese on top.

5) Bake for 20 minutes or until the cheese melts.

Another thing...not a specific recipe, but still useful. I'm all about leftovers. And not just eating the same thing the next night, the same way. Last week I made chicken parm one night, had one chicken breast leftover, and made chicken parm pizza the next night. If you can plan to make a little more than you need for one meal, you can make your leftovers into a great second meal (or at least lunch to take to work or send with your working spouse).

• 1 month later...
Guest DeborahC

Well, I eat about 80% raw organic foods and I have a TON of GREAT recipes I'd be willing to share if people are interested. I'll start by posting one of my favorites which is a raw healthy "cheesecake" -- Serve this to your family and friends and I promise they will NOT know the diffence between this and "real" cheesecake! It is made entirely of raw nuts, fruits, and a few little heathy extras.

It's important that I stress that when I use nuts, they are RAW whenever possible. I can't promise how these recipes will work with cooked nuts. You can find raw nuts at places like Whole Foods, New Seasons, and other healthfood type stores in their BULK section. Yes, they are very expensive, but you don't need many, and you'll be amazed how long REAL food stays with you, unlike the empty calories of a "real" cheesecake!

The added plus? YOu can eat these raw foods for breakfast, lunch, or dinner and eat til you're full and you WILL lose weight and feel better.

Ok.. I'll begin with the cheesecake recipe which is very sweet, very rich, and NO GUILT!

If you are one person or a couple, you can split these recipes into half with no problems.

CRUST:

2 cups raw nuts (almonds, walnuts, or pecans work best)

1 cup raisins

Put the nuts into your food processor with an "S" blade and process until they are nicely ground. Then add the raisins, and process again. PRESS this crust into the bottom of a springform pan or a pieplate. I also sometimes use a square brownie pan. Just use what you have!

FILLING:

4 cups RAW cashews

2 ripe bananas, sliced

1 large lemon, juiced

6 to 8 tablespoons honey

2 teaspoons vanilla

2 cups blueberries or other tart berries (you can use frozen, but rinse & drain first)

1 cup water

Place the cashews, bananas, lemon, honey, vanilla and water in processor and process until VERY SMOOTH.

Add your berries and process again until smooth.

Pour this over the crust and chill till set.

Don't forget to lick the spatula. You're gonna DIE from happiness, this is so good!:P

This pie will serve 8 to 10 people, easily. You can slice it small because it's very filling.

It's nice to decorate the top with whole berries, sliced bananas, or mint leaves for serving.

Guest DeborahC

People are often put off by the turnips until they taste this yummy concoction! It is exceptionally good! This recipe will serve 4 people and is easy to double or triple. Take it to your next potluck and watch it disappear! It takes about 5 minutes to prepare~

I use organic whenever possible. If NOT possible, then please peel your turnip and apple. Otherwise, just wash, and the colors are pretty if you use red apples!

You will need:

1 apple, grated

1 turnip, grated

(Note) the apple and turnip should be approximately the same size

1/2 cup parsley, chopped

Juice from one lemon

1 tablespoon olive oil

1 tablespoon honey

salt to taste

Mix it all up and chill, if you can wait after you taste it!