ways to study

jmcic

I think there are a hundred effective ways to study the scriptures. While I don't think there's anything wrong with your plan, here are some other ideas (hope they help).

"Study" typically means you're after something. Pick subjects you want to know about, and use the topical guide or index to find references.

Something else I've done is critical analysis of verses in the scriptures. I always start with prayer, read the verse, and write up my critical analysis of what I think it means--whether it's right or wrong, I'm just writing what I think.

Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

PMG= Preach My Gospel

I feel that different ways to study is good, I know since I’ve read the scriptures different ways, I’ve read it all the way though, I’ve read the institute manuals, then read the sections of the scriptures that they described, then I also listened to the scriptures while reading them. I’ve also read the scriptures looking for something; topic; the ‘bigger pitcher’ (which I mean the long story arc, like the ‘pride cycles’ in the Book of Mormon)

• 3 weeks later...

PMG= Preach My Gospel

I feel that different ways to study is good, I know since I’ve read the scriptures different ways, I’ve read it all the way though, I’ve read the institute manuals, then read the sections of the scriptures that they described, then I also listened to the scriptures while reading them. I’ve also read the scriptures looking for something; topic; the ‘bigger pitcher’ (which I mean the long story arc, like the ‘pride cycles’ in the Book of Mormon)

Adding to the manuals, I usually look at some of the commentaries for added clarity.

I find that study with a particular point of view is also interesting. For example as you read the scriptures use the point of view of what the particular scripture you are reading has to do with the time and era in which you live. Another example is to use the view of what your are reading related to covenants.

The Traveler

• 5 months later...
  • 9 months later...

These are some Bible versions, commentary, computer software, websites, and scripture dictionaries that I read, along with the KJV:

The complete Jewish Bible with Rashi commentary: here

Inspired Version (better known as the Joseph Smith Translation): here

SwordSearcher; a Bible study computer software program, it has several English Bible versions, Bible dictionaries and commentaries, such as: Adam Clarke’s Commentary on the Bible; Keil and Delitzsch Old Testament Commentary; the Churches Institute class Manuals quote from them a lot: here

The Anchor Bible volumes: you can find these at most major libraries, or at amazon: here

The Schocken Bible volumes: here

The Gospel Study Series, by David J. Ridges: here

Logos Bible Study software: here; this is by far the best scripture study program that I have ever seen. There is an app for iPhone and iPod Touch, very cool.

Institute of Religion manuals: here

And OF COURSE the Scriptures: here