Where online can i find the official Doctrine/Teachings of the church .

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The "hard stuff"?

There is a reason why its the hard stuff. There is no set place to find everything that is LDS doctrine. The problem is, we believe that we can always receive more revelation (or added knowledge).

Again if you can’t find it on LDS.org or mormon.org then its really not something you need to worry about.

The "hard stuff"?

There is a reason why its the hard stuff. There is no set place to find everything that is LDS doctrine. The problem is, we believe that we can always receive more revelation (or added knowledge).

Again if you can’t find it on LDS.org or mormon.org then its really not something you need to worry about.

It really is isn't you're place to say what i should be worrying about or if i am asking the question then the question is important .

The "hard stuff"?

WHAT!!!???? You're kidding, right??!!!

1. Pray and ask your Father in heaven to show you His official doctrine.

2. Read the Bible.

3. Read the Book of Mormon.

4. Read the Articles of Faith.

5. Read the report of the most recent General Conference.

6. Read the proclamation: The Living Christ

7. Read the proclamation on the Family

9. Read the Doctrine and Covenants and the Pearl of Great Price.

10. Listen to the missionaries. In addition to the scriptures, they teach out of a manual (a study guide) called Preach My Gospel.

11. Explore everything on Mormon.org

12. Explore everything on Joseph Smith - Home

13. Explore everything on The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

14. There are endless things you could study. No end. It's glorious actually, IMO.

Actually, ha ha, even among Mormons you will hear some discussion about what constitutes "official" doctrine. However, in my personal understanding "official" is the scriptures (Bible, Book of Mormon, Doctrine & Covenants, Pearl of Great Price) and then whatever comes out of the living prophet's mouth. I tend to take what is spoken by the prophet each general conference doctrinally, however, some will take exception to that categorization. In any case, the conference talks are our instructions on how to live for the next six months, perhaps could be said.

The gospel of Jesus Christ is this, and it is found in the Book of Mormon, 3 Nephi 11:31-33 (and probably a few more verses there); the Savior is speaking: "Behold, verily, verily, I say unto you, I will declare unto you my doctrine. And this is my doctrine, and it is the doctrine which the Father hath given unto me . . . I bear record that the Father commandeth all men, everywhere, to repent and believe in me. And whoso believeth in me, and is baptized, the same shall be saved; and theya re they who shall inherit the kingdom of God. . . . . (v37) and again I say unto you, ye must repent, and become as a little child, and be baptized in my name, or ye can in nowise receive these things."

The official doctrine of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is our witness of Jesus Christ. He is real. He is living. He is at the head of his church. He has atoned for the sins of all those in the world, and will save his children from their sins if they will come unto him.

Anything else you may learn may be an interesting teaching or understanding or even something most (but never all, ha ha!!!!) Mormons will agree on -- but it won't constitute doctrine.

However, you might be interested on The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints there is a topical, alphabetical index that explains briefly a number of matters Latter-day Saints believe. Also here on this site "What You Should Really Know About Mormons" may be of interest.

Thanks for being here at lds.net, Andrew. Good luck in your life's journey and I hope you find whatever place in life that gives you the most peace and joy.

Edit: NOT "whatever" comes out of the living prophets mouth. Sometimes he could be ordering spaghetti at Olive Garden. He could be cheering BYU. I just mean, when we are taught and given doctrine by the living prophet.

Edited by MaidservantX

Here's an official Church site explaining a bit about doctrine - very important reading, should be required reading by everyone with any interest in what Mormon Doctrine is and is not; Approaching Mormon Doctrine - LDS Newsroom

Here's the 'hard stuff' If you get through this (reading all quotes) you'll know all about Mormon Doctrine Gospel Principles

Let me give you one more place to find out what we 'really' believe. General Conference is next weekend Oct 4th and 5th. If you have access to BYU TV you can watch it there, otherwise find a Church with a satellite dish outside of it and go in and watch it (the lights are dim and you probably won;t even be noticed if thats a concern) times are 11AM and 3PM Sat and Sunday in the Central time zone, each session lasts 2 hours and is a broadcast of our leaders in SLC, broadcast via satellite, also there is a Priesthood seeion (for males) at 7PM CST Saturday nite.

Edited by mnn727

GOOFBALL you are saying that from a different perspective you believe those scriptures to be true ..

i am a non member who is trying to determine truth for myself

Are you looking for anything particular or just generalized "deep doctrine" I think I know what you are looking for and don't know if it exists on a webpage where you can access something that will satisfy what you are looking for. It might be easier if you had a particular topic you were interested in, posted about that, and people here may be able to point you in that direction.

I would say the 13 articles of faith is a great spring board to learn what we believe. There is a great book by James Talmage called the Articles of Faith.

Keep studying, and it will come.

(That last line reminded me of a great movie. If you build it, they will come. Can you name that movie)

Are you looking for anything particular or just generalized "deep doctrine" I think I know what you are looking for and don't know if it exists on a webpage where you can access something that will satisfy what you are looking for. It might be easier if you had a particular topic you were interested in, posted about that, and people here may be able to point you in that direction.

I would say the 13 articles of faith is a great spring board to learn what we believe. There is a great book by James Talmage called the Articles of Faith.

Keep studying, and it will come.

(That last line reminded me of a great movie. If you build it, they will come. Can you name that movie)

IF YOU BUILD IT THEY WILL COME

Ok fine lol i will build it ....

Problem with just googling a topic is that you will find more anti-Mormon stuff which is full of lies rather than what we actually believe in

Hi goofball, ( wow I never called someone a goofball before :) THAT WAS KINDA FUN!!!

From my shallow experience, THIS IS VERY TRUE.

Thanks for offering it.

God bless,

Carl

GOOFBALL you are saying that from a different perspective you believe those scriptures to be true ..

i am a non member who is trying to determine truth for myself

I didn't find anything to be true until I read some of the Book of Mormon and prayed about it. And now when a difficult topic comes up I have the best reverences for finding the answers, for myself and they are the Bible, the Book of Mormon, Doctrine and Covenants and The Pearl of Great Price. And if I don't understand what I'm reading from them, their are great teachers in the church -- a Prophet for one.:)

It really is isn't you're place to say what i should be worrying about or if i am asking the question then the question is important .

I guess that would be true, but you are looking for things that are “official.” The only place to find official teachings is from the official website of the LDS church. You can find plenty of other ideas, and even really good teachings, but that doesn’t make it official!

That leads to the next question do you more want official doctrine, or do you more just want answers to your questions (who cares if its official or not).

This is why the warning was giving.

Anything else you may learn may be an interesting teaching or understanding or even something most (but never all, ha ha!!!!) Mormons will agree on -- but it won't constitute doctrine.

Believe me I have read probably most of all the books that teach doctrine, most are really good and I can point you to a number of them. But doctrines that teach us the truth (which usually is important) comes from the scriptures, comes from the Church magazine, comes from General Conference (which is Oct 4-5). Again, knowing what is and what isn’t church doctrine isn’t as easy as going to some website, it takes learning the basics, understanding the scriptures, (and the spirit). And really its just time. Over time you come to realize what is taught and what isn’t! That isn’t going to be something you find on a website, nor should it!

I don’t mean to presume your question (what ever it is) isn’t important, what I am suggesting is you start building a foundation in the teachings of the church way before you try to put on the roof.

WHAT!!!???? You're kidding, right??!!!

No, where do you get your Official doctrine from?

I guess that would be true, but you are looking for things that are “official.” The only place to find official teachings is from the official website of the LDS church. You can find plenty of other ideas, and even really good teachings, but that doesn’t make it official!

That leads to the next question do you more want official doctrine, or do you more just want answers to your questions (who cares if its official or not).

This is why the warning was giving.

Believe me I have read probably most of all the books that teach doctrine, most are really good and I can point you to a number of them. But doctrines that teach us the truth (which usually is important) comes from the scriptures, comes from the Church magazine, comes from General Conference (which is Oct 4-5). Again, knowing what is and what isn’t church doctrine isn’t as easy as going to some website, it takes learning the basics, understanding the scriptures, (and the spirit). And really its just time. Over time you come to realize what is taught and what isn’t! That isn’t going to be something you find on a website, nor should it!

I don’t mean to presume your question (what ever it is) isn’t important, what I am suggesting is you start building a foundation in the teachings of the church way before you try to put on the roof.

No, where do you get your Official doctrine from?[/QUDER

I disagree .

In what way?

You do understand why someone says they want 'The Hard Stuff', right? It will either be because someone has pointed him to something he doesn't understand, yet, and he wants to know the doctrine itself without understanding the underlying reasons for it or because he wants an official site to point people to and say "See? See what they teach?!?!"

In conventional Protestantism, it would be akin to saying "Jesus died for you 2000 years before you were born." without having him understand that man sins, that the nature of man is bad, that there is a God or that there is a life after death.

There would be many questions in that case, just like a student of Judaism leaping to the story of Noah's Ark and hearing that God destroyed every man, woman and child on earth without understanding why that happened. When people forge testimonys on scriptural railsplits(Where they know one thing without progressing to the next or the previous), their testimony becomes shaky because you don't understand why something is.

I would recommend speaking to your Bishop for discussion of the hard stuff.