No Rainbows For 1 Year = Jesus Is Coming

Guest bat

I just learned this today. Joseph Smith taught that there would be no rainbows for one year prior to the second coming of jesus. God must have ways of removing the refractive index of raindrops or something. I'll be watching the sky after every rainstorm from now on. :rolleyes:

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by curvette@Sep 27 2004, 07:44 AM

I've never heard of such a thing. What is your source?

I'll support this, a cite would be most appreciated, it is truly staggering the amount of information that people learn that is not true, just think of the prevalence of urban legends as an example.

And as Jenda points out, no more fantastic then a host of other things if true.

Guest curvette

I'd consider it an impossiblility. Unless one of the following happens:

1. No rain anywhere in the world for a full year

2. No light anywhere in the world for a full year

3. No waterfalls or sprinklers in the world for a full year

4. The pot of gold finally gets stolen.

5. The laws of physics governing light are changed.

Originally posted by speedomansam@Sep 27 2004, 01:06 PM

Check Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith compiled by Joseph Fielding Smith, copyright 1976, pages 305 and 340-341.

Dude, nobody has those.

The Lord deals with this people as a tender parent with a child, communicating light and intelligence and the knowledge of his ways as they can bear it. The inhabitants of the earth are asleep; they know not the day of their visitation. The Lord hath set the bow in the cloud for a sign that while it shall be seen, seed time and harvest, summer and winter shall not fail; but when it shall disappear, woe to that generation, for behold the end cometh quickly.

(Joseph Smith, Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, page 305.)

I have asked of the Lord concerning His coming; and while asking the Lord, He gave a sign and said, "In the days of Noah I set a bow in the heavens as a sign and token that in any year that the bow should be seen the Lord would not come; but there should be seed time and harvest during that year: but whenever you see the bow withdrawn, it shall be a token that there shall be famine, pestilence, and great distress among the nations, and that the coming of the Messiah is not far distant.

(Joseph Smith, Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, page 340.)

The next paragraph is very enlightening:

But I will take the responsibility upon myself to prophesy in the name of the Lord, that Christ will not come this year, as Father Miller has prophesied, for we have seen the bow; and I also prophesy, in the name of the Lord, that Christ will not come in forty years; and if God ever spoke by my mouth, He will not come in that length of time. Brethren, when you go home, write it down, that it may be remembered.

Gee, I wonder how he knew that. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Blessed@Sep 27 2004, 02:54 PM

WEll how would we know for sure... there may be a rainbow in Austraila while we are way up here... hmmmm. I think JS missed it on this one.

Huh?

Originally posted by Jenda@Sep 27 2004, 08:35 AM

Why would you consider that an impossibility? God did not place the bow in the sky till after the flood at Noah's time, so why couldn't He remove it?

Jenda--so that means that water did not have a refractive index before Noah? Welcome all to physical lala land!

Actually, JS was technically right. IF there were no rainbow, the earth would be in big trouble. But that is a great big IF. Fact is that the earth has had water for its entire history. Being that water is one of the most stable compounds around , it is not going to be decomposing on its own. Anything that would decompose all the water in the earth would fry the rest of us before the water turned to hydrogen and oxygen.

Bottomline: Let's hope JS was speaking very metaphorically, not literally.

i don't see why it's so hard to believe that God can get rid of a rainbow for a year. if he made the world he can probably make water's refractive index lower or change the light or affect the manner in which it rains or do something that would prevent a measily rainbow from appearing.

thanks bat for typing all that up, i wasn't about to :P

Originally posted by Cal+Sep 27 2004, 05:41 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Cal @ Sep 27 2004, 05:41 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Jenda@Sep 27 2004, 08:35 AM

Why would you consider that an impossibility?  God did not place the bow in the sky till after the flood at Noah's time, so why couldn't He remove it?

Jenda--so that means that water did not have a refractive index before Noah? Welcome all to physical lala land!

Yes, Cal. I believe in a God so powerful that, if He created the heavens and the earth, he can change the physical property of same.

Or, maybe there is an easy explanation for it. Maybe the conditions of having sunshine during a rain storm just never materialized.

Nah, I would rather believe that God can do anything. B)

Originally posted by speedomansam@Sep 27 2004, 08:38 PM

bat you confuse me

There was a time not too long ago that we had this really wacky lady that posted on this board that believed that people live on the moon, because Joseph Smith said that they did. No amount of explanation about why people can't live on the moon (or the sun for that matter) would have convinced her that they don't. Hello? No air, no (or little) gravity, no food, etc. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to deduce that one. If I could take her to the moon and walk across every square mile of it, she still would not believe that people don't live there. She would probably have said that they live under-ground. If we excavated the entire moon and STILL found no people there (six foot tall quakers) she would still probably not believe. Why? Because Joseph Smith said so. That's why.

This is just like that. Get it now?

Guest curvette

Sheesh! You guys have no imagination whatsoever... Joseph Smith wasn't talking about the RAIN bow, he was talking about the bow of a boat. It's so obvious. You know those cloud shapes we all love? Well, when we go a full year without seeing the cloud ship bow, that's the year of Jesus' return.

Guest curvette

"The Jesus Zombie"??????????? Interesting choice of words. Kind of insulting at first, but I guess if a zombie is technically the "living- dead" it could apply. It just still doesnt' sound right. :(

Our biggest mistake worldwide is our insistence on perceiving every new development as a culmintion of a climax. The great "at last" or "inthe degree." A constitutional fatalism continuously adjusts itself to the ever-changing present. A pervasive alarmism greets every advance. For two thousoand years we have been getting "out of hand".

This derives of course from our susceptibility to viewing the "now" as the End of Time, an Apocalyptic obsession that has endured since Christ ascended into Heaven. We must stop this! We must perceive that we are at the dawn of a sublime age. Enemies will no longer be conquered. They will be devoured, and transformed.

Originally posted by speedomansam@Sep 27 2004, 07:01 PM

i don't see why it's so hard to believe that God can get rid of a rainbow for a year. if he made the world he can probably make water's refractive index lower or change the light or affect the manner in which it rains or do something that would prevent a measily rainbow from appearing.

thanks bat for typing all that up, i wasn't about to :P

Without water, rainbows can't exist. Drought for one year all over the earth would be a possible scenario. We are having extreme weather down in Florida right now. Extremes are happening all over the world.

BTW has it been noticed by anyone at all, that Florida was where the election for Bush was won, and Florida is being anilalated just before the next election? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! :lol:

Originally posted by Amillia@Sep 28 2004, 10:32 AM

BTW has it been noticed by anyone at all, that Florida was where the election for Bush was won, and Florida is being anilalated just before the next election? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! :lol:

See, Bush didn't have to stoop to having the Constitution changed. :P

Guest curvette

I'm sure that the families of all the dead will be glad to know that they can blame the President.

Originally posted by curvette+Sep 28 2004, 12:40 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (curvette @ Sep 28 2004, 12:40 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Amillia@Sep 28 2004, 10:32 AM

I'm sure that the families of all the dead will be glad to know that they can blame the President.

You shouldn't twist my meaning. <_<

However, it wouldn't be the first time innocent people have died inorder for God to make his point.

Without water, rainbows can't exist. Drought for one year all over the earth would be a possible scenario.

Does this sound ridiculous to anybody else? Maybe the Amopologist can explain to how this might occur without resorting to "and then a miracle happens".

Posted Image