LDS missions

Guest ceeboo

Hey All,

It's me, the Ignorant guy who is ALWAYS asking questions :lol::lol:

I have seen many members reference " mission " in many ways.

I am curious as to the following.

When are you suppose to go on your mission ( age range ??)

Are the missions encouraged by the Church??

Are they paid for by the Church ??

Are you going on your mission as a group of LDS?? ( or solo )

Who picks your destination ?? ( do you have any say in where you might like to go )

What exactly, are you suppose to do on your mission??

Where do you live?? Do you try and get a job on mission ??

Do you report to anyone while on mission??

Where does your " money to live on " come from??

Can you say " NO " to a mission??

Is a completed mission one of the criteria to be Temple worthy??

Any other info to try and help people like me ( Non LDS ) get a better understanding would be greatly appreciated.:)

Thanks and God bless,

Carl

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey All,

It's me, the Ignorant guy who is ALWAYS asking questions :lol::lol:

I have seen many members reference " mission " in many ways.

I am curious as to the following.

Guys when they are 19. Girls when they are 21.

Yes

No

You are with other missionaries at all times.

Who picks your destination ?? ( do you have any say in where you might like to go )

You get no say. It is determined by revelation.

Teach the gospel.

In apartments or in some cases with members. You do not work at a job while on your mission.

You report to district and zone leaders and your mission president.

You save it yourself or your family and friends can help.

Yes.

No.

Any other info to try and help people like me ( Non LDS ) get a better understanding would be greatly appreciated.:)

Thanks and God bless,

Carl

Hope that helps.

Hey All,

Hello Ceeboo!!

WORTHY.....young men can serve a two year mission at age 19....young ladies at age 21 for 18 months. Often, retired members serve fulltime missions as well.

Yes....young men are expected to serve an honorable full time mission.....optional for young ladies.

Typically no......Young men amd young women save money for their own missions...parents help....but they are encouraged to save for their own missions. However, the Church will help if you can't afford to go.

Solo....unless it is a married couple.

I think you are called by the First Presidentancy after they have prayed about it. I am not sure if you have much input or not.....

Spread the gospel.........full time.

Apartments....etc provided by the church. Their job is to spread the gospel.

They have a Mission President and usually work with the Ward Mission leader.

Yes.

No.....but you do have to be temple worthy to serve a full time mission.

]

Edited by bytor2112

Hey Checker,

Thanks for the info :) Ceeboo does appreciate it.

A couple more questions, if I may.

Are they all 2 years?

When you say " teach the Gosepel " are you talking about door to door at peoples homes?

Thanks

Carl

I am not LDS but I have talked to my share of missionaries and have lived in Utah for the last few years, so here is what I've gathered from the culture around me:

From what I've heard, you can go on a mission any time, but most people seem to do it after high school but before college

Yes, however it is supposed to be thought of as a priveledge rather than requirement. Unfortunately I have heard of some people being all but disowned by their parents for chosing not to go on a mission and there is somewhat of a cultural prejudice against people who haven't gone on a mission. (i.e. *whisper* I wouldn't trust my kids with him, he didn't even go on a mission! *whisper*)

I know a lot of people who save up for their mission, so I think a significant portion at least is out of your own pocket. I'm sure other people who have gone on a mission will provide more details.

I think you are usually paired with a companion who you have not met before hand.

Presumably God does (via the mission director I think).

Share the gospel and bring people to the church. Investigators will make appointments with missionaries and go through lessons.

Getting a job is a no-no on your mission, though you are encouraged to offer help to investigators and serve to the community. I'm not sure where you live.

As far as I can tell there is something like a chain of command.

From the church and what you have saved up to go on your mission I presume.

I think you have to be "called" for a mission and at that point you probably could say no, but family and friends may be very unhappy with you.

Not sure, but I know you have to go through a process and not everyone is deemed "worthy" to go on a mission.

Edit: misread the question, thought you were asking if being temple worthy was a requirement to go on a mission

Thanks and God bless,

Carl

I don't have all the answers, but I thought you might want an opinion from another (mostly) unbiased outsider to get a feel for what missions are. I hope that helps a little.

Edited by DigitalShadow

Good questions Ceeboo. Most answers should be the same from the members but here is my viewpoint.

Worthy young men are encouraged to go on a mission between 19 and 25 years old. Once you are older than 25 men are not allowed to go unless they go with their wife.

Worthy young women are allowed to go when they are 21 and can go at any age.

Missions are encouraged for single young men, young women when they have completed education and retired couples and older single generally widowed sisters.

Each missionary pays for his own mission or with the help of family. In some rare cases other members donate to support a non family missionary.

Each person is called to a mission in the US or other part of the world. They go to the mission as individual, unless married couples, but serve in pairs of two and at times of need in group of three.

The mission department as a matter of prayer decides where you should serve your mission. Older couples have a little more choice in where they will serve and what they will do on their missions.

On your mission for most it is to contact or find those willing to listen to the message of the "Restored Gospel". Lots of missionaries provide service in the communities they are called to. Couples called on missions also provide support in growing areas of the church and in temples, church offices, mission offices, etc.

Missionaries live in apartments that are approved by Mission President and his staff.

Missionaries do not work for wages while on mission.

Missionary companions report to a missionary district leader, who reports to a missionary zone leader, who reports to missionary assistants to the Mission President, who report to Mission President. Mission President reports to Area Presidency where the mission is located. All of these positions are for no compensation.

Money comes from own savings, family donations, as a last resort from general membership donations to the missionary fund.

You say no by not even applying. If you apply to go you are expected to go but some still say no.

A mission is not a prerequisite to a temple recommend.

Hope that helps some.

Ben Raines

I served my mission when I was 21. ( many moons ago) I was called to serve in Ohio. My brothers went to France and Australia. Some missionaries learn another language and some like me, speak their native tongue. My parents will be leaving on their mission next year. It is always an exciting event in the church when someone receives their mission letter announcing where they are called to serve. And FYI, all boy missionaries are called ELDER (they don't all have the same first name) and all girlie missionaries are called Sister. :)

Have you ever heard of the movie "The Other Side of Heaven"? I think you can Netflix it. It is a major motion picture about an man named Elder Groberg and his mission to the people of Samoa or Tonga. I can't remember. Other than being a little hollywood, it is a good beginning and entertaining picture of what mission life is like or was like for this gentleman back in the 50's.

I was going to say too that not all missions are prostlytizing missions. Some are welfare or service missions where they help with the local economic, educational, and medical needs of the people. Some are visitor center missions. The church has many visitors centers around the world and missionaries are needed to run them. Some go on temple missions and serve at one of the many LDS temples. They are also needed for geneological efforts as well.

(forgive the spelling. the spell check ain't working today.)

Edited by Misshalfway

Hey Checker,

Thanks for the info :) Ceeboo does appreciate it.

A couple more questions, if I may.

Are they all 2 years?

When you say " teach the Gosepel " are you talking about door to door at peoples homes?

Thanks

Carl

Hi Carl,

Teaching is a part of missionary work. You will often here the term "Serving a mission". Serving is a very important aspect of any missionary service. Each missionary will take time whenever possible to serve the people around him or her. This helps one to be humble, in touch with the people and do as Christ would do. Some of my own greatest missionary experiences came while serving the people.

Teaching is also an intrinsic part of missionary labor. There are many different environments to teach in. They come from many different sources. Some will be generated from contacting people on the street, some door to door and some from media resources like this one. Teaching in ones home is preferred. In this environment the missionary is a guest and is respectful to the rules and privacy of the homeowner. It is also a great environment for one to feel of the Lords spirit.

Men serve for 2 years and Women for 18 months. Thanks for the questions.

-Jonathan

THANK YOU ALL for the information as well as the time to share it with me :):)

My Catholic Perspective for what it's wirth.

I absolutly LOVE, ADMIRE, AND RESPECT THE LDS MISSION IDEA.

For LDS members to reach out to people and try and teach them what they hold so dear is nothing short of remarkable ( IMHO ):)

I have always thought of the missionaries as truly unselfish, giving, honorable young people of God. Not bad coming from someone who has some differences with you all, huh.

In addition, I truly believe that even if they do not " convert " someone to the LDS faith, I ABSOLUTLY believe they have had countless situations where they have helped others get a little closer to the LORD. For that and that alone, I admire them and Ceeboo's door is always open to these fine young blessed people.

Peace,

Carl

Thanks! I appreciate your thoughts and feelings. I hope you feel welcome here.

Jonathan Johnson

Thank you jonathanncrm :)

I do indeed feel welcome here :) except for this guy named bytor, what a " bleep ":lol:

God bless,

Carl

I also have questions to add to ceeboo's questions. :)

Doesn't the LDS church pay for the plane fares to and from?

When you fill out the papers to apply for a mission, can the potential missionary suggest places he would like to go to? (My nephew desperately wanted to go to Scotland and he got his wish)

How does the missionary get his/her monthly allowance, when he/she is in the mission field? (that he has saved up prior to going on a mission)

Thanks also! :)

M.

Thanks Ben for the clarification. i was blocking his IP when I read your Post. LOL! J/K

Jonathan how in the heck are you my friend? Haven't talked to you or have I seen you online in some time. Hope you are well.

Thanks again to ALL who have shared this info with me on LDS missions :):)

A few more questions, if I may.

What percentage of LDS have served a mission ( half, most, few ?? )

Do missions overlap ( as we speak, are some just starting, some almost done, some in the middle )??

Can it be dangerous ( depending on what Country your sent ) to go on a mission?? say, China for example??

For those who have served a mission, have you found that you were welcomed by the majority, or not so much??

I am sure this depends on several things but for those who have served, did you find the experience humbling, hard, exciting, lonely,etc???

Would you encourage your kids to also serve a mission??

Thanks again and God bless,

Ceeboo

My son is 15; since his baptism (at 8), he has a large "piggy bank" that change/money goes into, as savings for his Mission. He is anxious to go; he, (of course :D) wants to go to a foreign land. He wants to learn another language. Two in our family have gone out of the U.S.; one to Mexico and one to Brazil (I think that is where he went)!

We have always, as a matter of course, said 'when' you go on your Mission, never 'if' you go. But, even though we do want/expect him to go, if for some reason he decides not to go, he will not be forced to go. That will be HIS choice.

I also have questions to add to ceeboo's questions. :)

Doesn't the LDS church pay for the plane fares to and from?

I can't be sure but I think it probably comes out of the pool of money that is the general mission fund.

When you fill out the papers to apply for a mission, can the potential missionary suggest places he would like to go to? (My nephew desperately wanted to go to Scotland and he got his wish)

You can list any foreign languages you know but that doesn't ensure anything. I knew two twins growing up that studied Russian and were almost fluent. They both got called to serve in Korea.

How does the missionary get his/her monthly allowance, when he/she is in the mission field? (that he has saved up prior to going on a mission)

You get a debit card that has your monthly allowance added each month. Your rent and utilities are paid from the mission office, so what you do with your money is up to you.

Thanks also! :)

M.

This info is based on my mission of course.

I am not really sure on the stats......I think it depends on the part of the world we are talking about. In Utah and Idaho....I would say most.

Missions do overlap. The Missionary Training Centers get new missionaries every month. So do the individual missions and they also send missionaries home on a regular rotation when their service time is complete.

I think it can be dangerous, yes. We have had reports of missionaries being kidnapped or as a victim of a crime. I am thinking of one instance that happened in South America where two Elder's were kept in a shack in some jungle. Sometimes missionaries have died. Not all these safety issues are because of religious reasons. Some are political, some are simply accidents or crime or stupidity of the missionaries. Missionaries are given very specific rules to follow for their safety and sometimes missionaries fail to keep themselves safe.

From my own personal mission experience, I met all kinds of people. Some welcomed us with open arms and loved the missionaries even if they weren't interested in the message. Some were very closed but kind. Some were hostile. It just depended on the day. The whole experience makes for some fun story telling and some wonderful friendships.

I found my mission to be all those things you listed and more. Missionaries aren't allowed to phone home. (only in emergency or on Christmas and Mother's day) You can't chat with friends or girls or anyone familiar and you can't call your Dad when you have a hard day. You may write but that is all. So, it can be lonely especially for young 19 yr old kids who have never been away from home. My mission was the hardest thing I had done in my life up that point. It took me out of all my comfort zones and tested me in a way nothing else could. But it was also the best experience. I got to teach people from so many different countries. Some of my most cherished friends were from China. And the spiritual growth and experiences were wonderful. It was an irreplaceable experience and I cherish both my trials and my blessings.

I would and will absolutely encourage my kids to go on a mission. We spend a great deal of time preparing our youth to go. It takes commitment and dedication and sacrifice to go on a mission. And not everyone that applies is accepted. You must be worthy.....meaning that you have lived a clean life and that you have a strong testimony of the truth of this gospel. You don't go on a mission to play around or to seek your own interests. Every moment of everyday is assigned to you. You don't go to school or have a job. Your clothing must fit the standards, as does any haircut. You have one day off, but only for laundry and grocery shopping and a little R&R. You, for two years, live to serve the Lord and to serve the people of your mission boundaries ONLY. I want my children to know how to sacrifice and work hard. I want them to learn to love and understand other cultures and viewpoints. And I want them to learn to rely on the Lord above even me. Missions are great experiences. I think that is why parents are sometimes saddened when their children choose against such a choice and why mother's want their daughters to marry a returned missionary. It isn't the only good experience, but it is something most LDS families want as part of their children's experience.

Ok I will attempt to answer.

Thanks again to ALL who have shared this info with me on LDS missions :):)

A few more questions, if I may.

What percentage of LDS have served a mission ( half, most, few ?? )

My guess is that only half of those that are eligible have served, but that is just a guess.

Do missions overlap ( as we speak, are some just starting, some almost done, some in the middle )??

Yes people are leaving on missions every month so the times overlap.

Can it be dangerous ( depending on what Country your sent ) to go on a mission?? say, China for example??

Well we only have missionaries in Hong Kong in China but there have been plenty of missionaries that have died on their missions going all the way back to Parley P. Pratt who was killed in the South while on a mission.

For those who have served a mission, have you found that you were welcomed by the majority, or not so much??

I guess it depends on where you go. I went to Texas and found most people were welcoming but didn't much care for the message I brought.

I am sure this depends on several things but for those who have served, did you find the experience humbling, hard, exciting, lonely,etc???

All of the above. There were days when I just wanted to go home. There were days when I was simply amazed at the Lord's hand. There were days when I literally fell asleep whenever I got a chance to sit down. There were days I wanted to kill my companion.

Very much so.

Thanks again and God bless,

Ceeboo

I am not really sure on the stats......I think it depends on the part of the world we are talking about. In Utah and Idaho....I would say most.

Missions do overlap. The Missionary Training Centers get new missionaries every month. So do the individual missions and they also send missionaries home on a regular rotation when their service time is complete.

I think it can be dangerous, yes. We have had reports of missionaries being kidnapped or as a victim of a crime. I am thinking of one instance that happened in South America where two Elder's were kept in a shack in some jungle. Sometimes missionaries have died. Not all these safety issues are because of religious reasons. Some are political, some are simply accidents or crime or stupidity of the missionaries. Missionaries are given very specific rules to follow for their safety and sometimes missionaries fail to keep themselves safe.

From my own personal mission experience, I met all kinds of people. Some welcomed us with open arms and loved the missionaries even if they weren't interested in the message. Some were very closed but kind. Some were hostile. It just depended on the day. The whole experience makes for some fun story telling and some wonderful friendships.

I found my mission to be all those things you listed and more. Missionaries aren't allowed to phone home. (only in emergency or on Christmas and Mother's day) You can't chat with friends or girls or anyone familiar and you can't call your Dad when you have a hard day. You may write but that is all. So, it can be lonely especially for young 19 yr old kids who have never been away from home. My mission was the hardest thing I had done in my life up that point. It took me out of all my comfort zones and tested me in a way nothing else could. But it was also the best experience. I got to teach people from so many different countries. Some of my most cherished friends were from China. And the spiritual growth and experiences were wonderful. It was an irreplaceable experience and I cherish both my trials and my blessings.

I would and will absolutely encourage my kids to go on a mission. We spend a great deal of time preparing our youth to go. It takes commitment and dedication and sacrifice to go on a mission. And not everyone that applies is accepted. You must be worthy.....meaning that you have lived a clean life and that you have a strong testimony of the truth of this gospel. You don't go on a mission to play around or to seek your own interests. Every moment of everyday is assigned to you. You don't go to school or have a job. Your clothing must fit the standards, as does any haircut. You have one day off, but only for laundry and grocery shopping and a little R&R. You, for two years, live to serve the Lord and to serve the people of your mission boundaries ONLY. I want my children to know how to sacrifice and work hard. I want them to learn to love and understand other cultures and viewpoints. And I want them to learn to rely on the Lord above even me. Missions are great experiences. I think that is why parents are sometimes saddened when their children choose against such a choice and why mother's want their daughters to marry a returned missionary. It isn't the only good experience, but it is something most LDS families want as part of their children's experience.

Misshalfway,

Thanks SO VERY MUCH for that :):)

A VERY VERY VERY interesting offering you have shared ( Thanks ):)

Again, to me a Non LDS, AMAZING, truly AMAZING experiences and personal journeys.:)

I would love to sit and hear you all tell your stories.:):):)

God bless,

Carl

Hi Carl, i myself have not been on a mission, but i have met lots of missionaries both Male and Female.

In my view these young people are among the loveliest, kindest, Self humbling, folk i have ever met in my entire life (57yrs) and in my own view are the backbone of the wards to which they belong.

They are hard working, when i first encountered the two young men that introduced myself and then wife to the church, we were just about to start a major redecoration of our house, these guys fell in just like they were part of the family, and indeed we treated them as such.

They were such good guys, and we loved them so very much, When they came calling they did bring with them the Holy Ghost, there was no doubt that these two young men were on a very difficult mission, but they glowed with confidence and commitment.

One of my sons are named after them, his name is Dane Christopher, Dane is the guy that baptized my wife and Christopher the guy that baptized myself, i wish i could make contact with them, i have searched the net but to no avail, if anyone recognizes the names, of these ex missionaries please let me know.

Sorry to go on so about them so, but i owe these guys so so much.

The Missionaries truly do the work of our Heavenly father and Jesus.

Edited by jimuk