Lakers

Dr T

0 Games ahead of Dallas in the Western standings, the Lakers drawing even with the Mavs, who won earlier against Phoenix. The Lakers do have the tiebreaker, however, and controlled their own destiny with two games left and the No. 2 seed still theirs to lose.

1 Lakers turnover in the first three quarters.

9 Lakers turnovers in the fourth quarter, certainly a deciding factor in the game.

31 Points for Kobe Bryant, his first time above 30 in April. He made 10-of-19 FG’s and 9-of-10 FT’s, but struggled in the final three minutes.

35 Free throw attempts for the Thunder, including six in the final minute with the game already over (all three fouls on Ron Artest). OKC made 32, for a 91.4% success rate.

55.6 OKC’s shooting percentage in the game, paced by Kevin Durant’s 11-of-15 for 31 points to match Bryant.

66 First half points for the Thunder, the most L.A. has conceded all season.

from Lakers.com

L.A. Lakers (55-25)

Pace: 93.3 (21), Off: 107.9 (7), Def: 101.3 (6)

Just like that, the Lakers went from a 17-1 post-break record to losing five straight games for the first time since they had Smush Parker running point. It's also the first time since Smush that they haven't been the West's No. 1 seed. And they've got to beat the Spurs or the red-hot Kings to ensure they're No. 2.

We went from #1 to #5 just like that. From nba.com.

Dr. T, I think the Lakers are in the worst possible shape right now. They haven't lost so many games in a row for years! However, the Spurs aren't doing much better but they recovered quickly and they're going to hit the Lakers badly tonight. Manu Ginobli is AWESOME!

He IS awesome I agree. I just read this too

Lakers backup point guard Steve Blake is out indefinitely after being diagnosed with the chicken pox on Tuesday morning.

The team learned of Blake’s condition after the team’s shootaround in preparation for Tuesday’s game against San Antonio. He’ll very likely miss Wednesday’s game at Sacramento as well in advance of the playoffs, which start either Saturday or Sunday. Blake will be monitored throughout the week.

Meanwhile, Matt Barnes is having soreness in the knee that kept him out of 28 games, and is listed as “questionable” heading into the Spurs game.

I got chicken pox as an adult too. It's bad. :( I think we'll come to play tonight vs. the Spurs. :)

Lakers play off options still up in the air!:

With two days left of regular season games, the Eastern Conference playoff matchups are all set … yet we have no idea what we’ll see in the West. As in, the only things set in stone are San Antonio’s No. 1 seed and Denver’s No. 5.

But will that keep us from speculating wildly to determine the possibilities for the Lakers?

Nope.

Lakers Get the No. 2 seed in the West IF:

1) L.A. wins both of its final two games vs. San Antonio (Tuesday) and at Sacramento (Wednesday).

2) L.A. wins 1-of-2 games and Dallas loses at New Orleans (Wed.).

Lakers Get the No. 3 seed in the West IF:

1) L.A. loses 1-of-2 games and Dallas beats New Orleans.

2) L.A. loses 1-of-2 or both games, Dallas beats New Orleans and Oklahoma City loses vs. Milwaukee (Wed.).

3) LAL loses both games and Dallas and Oklahoma City lose their final games. The Lakers have the tiebreaker over OKC and would be No. 3.

Lakers Get the No. 4 seed in the West IF:

1) L.A. loses both of its games and Oklahoma City beats Milwaukee.

Editor’s note: OKC would only get the No. 2 seed if both Dallas and the Lakers lose all remaining games and the Thunder win their finale. Dallas could lose to N.O. and still stay above L.A. in the standings if L.A. loses both games.

Now, whom L.A. would potentially play in the first round is even more complicated, since Memphis, Portland, New Orleans and even Denver are all in play. Much light will be shed on the issue after Portland plays Memphis on Tuesday, though all three teams also play on Wednesday. Of course, it all depends upon L.A.’s seed.

Alas, here’s a look at some potential scenarios:

Lakers would face the Hornets IF:

- With L.A. as the No. 2 seed, New Orleans beats Dallas, Portland beats Memphis (Tue.) and Portland beats Golden State (Wed.) to make N.O. the 7 seed.

- With L.A. as the No. 3 seed, New Orleans beats Dallas, Portland loses to Memphis and Golden State and Memphis beats Portland but loses to the Clippers. All three teams would then have 35 losses, with New Orleans owning both tiebreakers to be the 6 seed.

Lakers would face the Blazers IF:

- With L.A. as the No. 2 seed, Portland loses to Memphis and beats Golden State, Memphis beats Portland and the Clippers, and New Orleans loses to Dallas, making Portland the 7 seed.

- With L.A. as the 3 seed, Portland beats Memphis and Golden State to lock up the 6 seed.

Lakers would face the Grizzlies IF:

- With L.A. as the No. 2 seed, Memphis loses to Portland but beats the Clippers, and New Orleans loses to Dallas, making Memphis the 7 seed.

- With L.A. as the 3 seed, Memphis beats Portland and the Clippers to earn the 6 seed.

Lakers would face Denver IF:

- L.A. drops to the 4 seed by losing both of its games and Oklahoma City winning out; the Nuggets are locked into the No. 5 seed.

45-43 before the break. They even sat 3 of their starters and we are only winning by 2 points! We did a fine job in the first quarter then then fell off in the second. Kobe turns the ball over quite a bit. We can do this guys. Step up!

Wait, I don't know what happened. It said "end of quarter" 43-45 and I looked again. The time said, "0.00 End Period" and then it said Artest PF 3 and the score was tied 45-45. I don't get it. The Artest thing came with the same time AFTER the end period call time and the Spurs put up two more points?

The BIG news from the game vs. the Spurs on Tues. night was Bynum hyperextended his right knee and went down. With 8:11 left in the second quarter Bynum slipped on the foot of DeJuan Blair and hyperextended the right knee he had surgically repaired in the offseason. He walked off the court and Kobe said it looked worse than it was. Bynum was scared at first but as he left he said he'll be able to play. We'll see. When he first hurt his leg I was ready to trade him because he could be a broken player as times goes on. He needed surgery and then surgery and now whenever he goes down I wonder, "How long now?" I'm not happy he's hurt but I see him being a liability. I hope he heals soon! I'll keep you posted.

Kobe scored 27 points as we snapped a five-game losing streak tonight LO scored 23 and Pau Gasol added a double-double. We beat San Antonio 102-93. The regular season ends tomorrow. I'm concerned about Bynum's knee. :( and that they could have won tonight without 3 of their starters. :(

Kobe was T'd up vs. OKC after being tangled up with Perkins. The ref thought he was trying to throw the ball at an OKC player but he was just throwing it to another ref. The Technical was removed. That's good I don't want the T's hanging over Kobe's head. He's almost at his limit before a suspension. He now has 14 and is only allowed 16 before he has to sit down.

We play our final season game tomorrow vs. the Kings. We will have a number of people that are hurt playing and Bynum will not travel with the team tomorrow. He'll have a MRI at 11:00. If we win tomorrow we lock up the #2 seed.

The Lakers have signed guard Trey Johnson. Johnson rejoins the Lakers after spending the 2010 preseason with the team before being waived on October 21, 2010. In five preseason games, he averaged 2.8 points and 1.2 assists in 8.8 minutes. The team also recalled Derrick Caracter. Both will be available to play in Sacramento.

from Lakers.com

We are 56 and 25 or the season and play our last game tonight in Sacramento who are 24-57. We're shorthanded after a rash of injuries, but can lock up the two seed in the Western Conference playoff picture with a win.

Bynum's MRI showed a bone bruise, but the injury is not deemed to be too serious. A bone bruise sounds serious to me at any level because the tear would hurt and the pain lasts for a long time. Matt Barnes' MRI showed no new damage to his sore right knee. Both players are expected to play this weekend when the first round of the NBA playoffs kick off! Go LAKERS!

NBA Commissioner David Stern issued the following statement today:

“Kobe Bryant’s comment during last night’s game was offensive and inexcusable. While I’m fully aware that basketball is an emotional game, such a distasteful term should never be tolerated. Accordingly, I have fined Kobe $100,000. Kobe and everyone associated with the NBA know that insensitive or derogatory comments are not acceptable and have no place in our game or society.”

I don't know what Kobe said but I read today that he appologized to gay and lesbian people saying he didn't intend to offend.

I don't know what Kobe said but I read today that he appologized to gay and lesbian people saying he didn't intend to offend.

His behavior was unacceptable, shame on him! It's funny how he was fined for the gay slur but not for the F word (its so common these days, even acceptable) :rolleyes:

Anyhow, the Lakers were really LUCKY. They have a good team so I really don't know what is happening.

YES! They did it. We take the #2 seed in the West. We will face N.O. in the first round. We beat them all 4 times this year but the way we tend to not come ready to play I'm not going to say it's a done deal against them yet. I'll talk about tonight's game tomorrow.

Kobe had 36 points, nailed a 3-pointer in the closing seconds to force overtime, to help bead the Kings 116-108 in Sac Wednesday. LO put up 22 points, 8 boards and 7 assists while Pau had 18 points and 13 boards in his double double. Now on to the playoffs!