Lakers

Dr T

You are right Pale. Look at what we had and did this year:

The Lakers spent $99.9 million in salary this season for a roster that went 45-37. Additionally, the team will pay $29.6 million in luxury taxes -- a total of $129.5 million to get into the playoffs and suffer a first-round sweep by the San Antonio Spurs.

from here Lakers paid $129.5 million in salary, luxury taxes for early exit - latimes.com All the injuries, the ages, and difficulty playing well together (a lot of last season) and Kobe cannot win it by himself. Howard is be tough to keep in LA given how badly we did and other teams out to get him. Maloof will not walk away without giving it a strong shot. Kobe on his last legs (even though I still think he can be great) and we did very poorly vs. the western teams and they are good like the Spurs, OKC, Memphis are getting tougher, we were swept by the Clippers :( (Crazy-I never thought that would happen) and then we have the Heat in the East. I am a LAKERS fan and it is difficult to watch my boys go down like that but if we look to rebuild, (we have no first round draft next year) it is going to be tough for us. I'll be there through it all though. GO LAKERS!

Happy 75th birthday to Lakers legend, "Mr. Clutch," Jerry West. A 14-time All-Star, West joined the Lakers as the team moved to Los Angeles in 1960, playing his entire career with the Lakers before becoming coach for three seasons and general manager for 18 more, winning 7 titles total.

from Lakers.com

• 3 weeks later...

Kobe said (on bleacherreport) he will "retire soon but not that soon" and talked about wanting two more cracks at a championship. I'm not seeing my boys being contenders anytime soon. We have work to do on the team, keep people healthy, get a decision from Howard if he will stay or go, see how pow fits... we shall see

• 2 weeks later...

He did not have a great season but I really believe we can build around him. He can't shoot free throws sort of like Shaq, but he was pretty fresh off surgery so I give him some leeway there. Dallas will likely get him. I'd keep him if we could. We were no where close to a championship team with him but he has the potential to bring a good game. I'd say keep em if possible. What do you think Pale?

This is what Lakers GM had to say about Howard's decision:

The following statement has been issued by GM Mitch Kupchak: "We have been informed of Dwight's decision to not return to the Lakers. Naturally we're disappointed. However, we will now move forward in a different direction with the future of the franchise and, as always, will do our best to build the best team possible, one our great Lakers fans will be proud to support."

I didn't think Howard would stay with my boys. Who would want to live in Kobe's shadow, not get to run the team, and look at how poorly we did this year. I do not see much cusses for my Lakers now and will see what Mitch puts together next.

Bleacher Report said this today:

After signing with Houston, Dwight admitted he asked the Lakers to hire Phil Jackson earlier in the season.

it is just something to consider not just the only reason to leave LA but it must be considered.

Chris Kaman

Lakers General Manager Mitch Kupchak announced today that the team has been engaged in negotiations with free agent center Chris Kaman and intends to sign him to a contract at the conclusion of the NBA Moratorium Period.

I doubt LBL would come to play with my boys. I really like his play, he is so strong, plays team ball and is a great player but I don't see it happening. I would take him as a forward in a heartbeat. The Lakers will be making big moves in 2014 I think. We shall see what we can make of the team from those changes. Rumor has it that Lakers are talking Lamar Odom. That is interesting. I loved him off the bench. With Howard gone, I'd slide Pau to the center position and use Caman as a backup. Hopefully Pau can toughen up and play stronger ball in the middle. He is a good passer and is consistent. He can be a good center. He has health issues though and D'Antoni is going to hurt the players more if he makes them run full out-fast ball.

Newest Lakers player: Nick Young

Nick Young Signs(Ty Nowell/Lakers.com)

The Lakers have signed free agent forward/guard Nick Young, it was announced today by General Manager Mitch Kupchak. “At 6’7,” Nick’s size, ability to create his own shot and athleticism make him a versatile player who will give our lineup multiple looks on the floor,” said Kupchak. “He’s an exciting player, and we’re excited to have him on our roster.”

Ron Artest (MWP) news as of today:

he Los Angeles Lakers have waived forward Metta World Peace and have designated him as the team’s amnesty player as allowed by the Collective Bargaining Agreement, it was announced by General Manager Mitch Kupchak

found here: Lakers News: Team Officially Waives Metta World Peace | Lakers Nation

Lakers signed Wesley Johnson

The Lakers have signed free agent forward Wesley Johnson. “Wesley is a young, athletic player who runs the floor well and is an excellent defender,” said GM Mitch Kupchak. “He’s a developing player who we think could become a good NBA player for years to come. He’s also a great kid and we’re happy to add him to our team.”

From Lakers.com Jordan Farmar has returned to the Lakers.

The Los Angeles Lakers have signed free agent guard Jordan Farmar. “We’re pleased to have him back with the Lakers and look forward to him once again making a positive impact on our team.” said GM Mitch Kupchak. Farmar played with Anadolu Efes Istanbul in Turkey for the entire 2012-13 season.