Coffee in Baking?

winter

...So, we know, scientifically, that coffee brings unique and serious health risks, even without the caffeine. There is plenty of the same regarding tea....

lilered, the studies you quote are very old, more recent research has been done on the benefits and hazards of coffee consumption.

In 2007, the World Cancer Research Fund Report brought further clarity to the debate surrounding coffee drinking and bladder cancer. In this report they state that 'The judgements of the previous report on coffee were practically the same as in this report, except that the previous report judged that drinking more than 5 cups per day was a possible cause of bladder cancer. The evidence now indicates that coffee is unlikely to have a substantial effect on risk of this cancer'.

- Coffee Science Information Centre

M.

Also, a Q&A from Mormon Times says this:

Well-meaning members and leaders have, from time to time, attempted to give reasons behind the commands in the Word of Wisdom -- and the caffeine in coffee and tea has been one such reason. But we must not lose sight of the fact that such explanations are man-made; they are nowhere in the revelations, and they have not been endorsed by the leaders of the church and sustained by the general church membership.

MormonTimes - For and about members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

M.

Not for it. Makes me think of Joseph Smith when he was having an operation and refused the alcohol. Also, I could get a medical marijuana card if I wanted (California) but I'm not about to toke up any time soon.

But he drank it in Carthage Jail. Besides.Medical marijuana is just that medical.It would be no different then using anyother prescription.

How could one make Beef Burgundy (Boeuf Bourguignon - for you Frenchies) without the Burgundy?

For anyone who loves to cook recipes that traditionally use some sort of alcohol, here are some substitutes. Oh, and coffee is a pretty common ingredient with chocolate - it supposedly adds quite a lot, but I think coffee smells like tuna, so why would I put that in my brownies? ;)

Amaretto

Almond extract (1/2 teaspoon extract for 2 tablespoons of Amaretto) or Italian soda syrup.

Anisette

Anise Italian soda syrup or fennel.

Apple Brandy

Apple juice, unsweetened apple juice concentrate, apple cider, or apple butter.

Apricot Brandy

Syrup from a can of apricots in heavy syrup, or apricot preserves.

Beer or Ale

A strong chicken, beef or mushroom broth, or non-alcoholic beer.

Beer or Ale (Light)

Chicken broth, white grape juice or ginger ale.

Bourbon

1 1/2 to 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract.

Brandy

1/2 to 1 teaspoon of brandy or rum extract for 2 tablespoons of Brandy. When liquid amount is critical to the recipe, use water or fruit juices corresponding to flavor of brandy (use same amount of liquid as the recipe calls for brandy),

Calvados

Apple juice, unsweetened apple juice concentrate, apple cider, or apple butter.

Chambord

Raspberry juice, syrup or extract.

Champagne

Ginger ale, sparkling apple cider, sparkling cranberry juice, or sparkling white grape juice.

Cherry Liqueur or Cherry Brandy

Syrup from a can of cherries in heavy syrup, or cherry Italian soda Syria or cherry preserves.

Claret

non-alcoholic wine, diluted grape juice or cherry cider syrup.

Coffee Liqueur

To replace 2 tablespoons of liqueur, use 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of chocolate extract mixed with 1 teaspoon of instant coffee, which has been mixed in 2 tablespoons of water. Can also substitute expresso, non-alcoholic coffee extract or coffee syrup.

Cognac

Apricot, peach or pear juice.

Cointreau

To replace 2 tablespoons of liqueur, use 2 tablespoons of orange juice concentrate or 2 tablespoons of orange juice with 1/2 teaspoon of orange extract.

Crème de cacao

Powdered white chocolate combined with water, or non-alcoholic vanilla extract and powdered sugar.

Crème de cassis

Black currant Italian soda syrup or black currant jam.

Crème de menthe

non-alcoholic mint extract, mint Italian soda syrup, spearmint extract, or spearmint oil with a little water added. If green color is needed, add a drop of green food coloring.

Curacao

To replace 2 tablespoons of liqueur, use 2 tablespoons of orange juice concentrate or 2 tablespoons of orange juice with 1/2 teaspoon of orange extract.

Framboise

Raspberry juice or raspberry syrup.

Frangelico

Hazelnut or almond extract.

Galliano

Licorice extract.

Gewurztraminer

White grape juice combined with lemon juice.

Grand Marnier

Grappa

Grape juice.

Grenadine

non-alcoholic grenadine or pomegranate syrup.

Hard Cider

Apple juice or apple cider.

Kirsch

Cherry cider or black cherry, raspberry, boysenberry, currant, or grape juice or syrup. Substitute same amount of liquid as called for in the recipe.

Licorice or Anise Liqueur

Mirin

White grape juice combined with lemon juice or lemon zest.

Muscat

White grape juice combined with powdered sugar.

Ouzo

Orange Liqueur

Orange juice concentrate, orange juice, orange zest or orange marmalade.

Peach Brandy

Syrup from a can of peaches in heavy syrup, or peach preserves.

Peppermint Schnapps

non-alcoholic mint or peppermint extract, mint Italian soda syrup, or mint leaves.

Port

Concord grape juice with some lime zest added, cranberry juice with some lemon juice added, or grape juice concentrate. Substitute orange juice or apple juice for lighter ports.

Red Burgundy

Red wine vinegar, grape juice or non-alcoholic wine.

Red Wine, sweet or dry

non-alcoholic wine with a tablespoon of vinegar added to cut the sweetness, grape juice, cranberry juice, grape jelly, tomato juice, beef broth, liquid drained from vegetables, or water. Use equal amounts of liquid as called for in the recipe.

Riesling

White grape juice with a pinch of powdered sugar added.

Rum

White grape juice, pineapple juice, or apple juice in equal liquid amounts as called for in the recipe. Can also use these juices with 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of non-alcoholic rum, almond or vanilla extract added.

Sake

Rice vinegar.

Sambuca

Schnapps

To replace 2 tablespoons of schnapps, add 1 teaspoon of a corresponding flavored extract.

Sherry

Apple juice, orange juice, pineapple juice, or non-alcoholic vanilla extract.

Southern Comfort

Peach flavored nectar combined with a small amount of cider vinegar.

Sparkling Wine

Ginger ale, sparkling apple cider, sparkling cranberry juice, or sparkling white grape juice.

Tequila

Cactus juice or nectar.

Triple Sec

Orange juice concentrate, orange juice, orange zest or orange marmalade.

Vermouth, Dry

White grape juice, white wine vinegar, or non-alcoholic white wine.

I don't know the official rule, but for me personally, if it contains the coffee bean or portions of it, I don't knowingly use it. It's probably fine, but that's my personal preference. I'm really not informed enough about all these newfangled espressos and hot drinks to be an authority to tell what exactly is what, so on this one I err on the side of caution.

I don't know the official rule either, but one thing I do know is that tiramasu is a great dessert. I never thought that eating that dessert was contrary to church commandments.

Of course I hope that I do not encourage you to disobey a church commandment by telling you that I love Italian desserts.:huh:

• 8 years later...
43 minutes ago, Sunday21 said:

You know what has alcohol in it? Vanilla! It's ingredient #1 on my natural and in my artificial stuff! Who knew!

To be clear: Vanilla is a bean and pod, and it contains no alcohol. Vanilla extract is made from the beans and/or pods of vanilla steeped in vodka or other very high-proof alcoholic spirits. So vanilla extract is almost pure alcohol. Most of the alcohol does cook out in baked goods, and what is left is essentially a trace amount, a small fraction of the teaspoon or so of the alcohol in the vanilla extract added.