Increased Scientific Dissent

skylercollins

I just posted on my blog a link to a new U.S. government report on global warming:

Increased Scientific Dissent II

Here's the link to the full .PDF report titled "More Than 650 International Scientists Dissent Over Man-Made Global Warming Claims. Scientists Continue to Debunk 'Consensus' in 2008" from the U.S. Senate Environment and Public Works Committee.

Here's more of the introduction (the text contains links in the .PDF file):

The chorus of skeptical scientific voices grow louder in 2008 as a steady stream of peer-reviewed studies, analyses, real world data and inconvenient developments challenged the UN and former Vice President Al Gore's claims that the "science is settled" and there is a "consensus." On a range of issues, 2008 proved to be challenging for the promoters of man-made climate fears. Promoters of anthropogenic warming fears endured the following: Global temperatures failing to warm; Peer-reviwed studies predicting a continued lack of warming; a failed attempt to revive the discredited “Hockey Stick”; inconvenient developments and studies regarding CO2; the Sun; Clouds; Antarctica; the Arctic; Greenland; Mount Kilimanjaro; Hurricanes; Extreme Storms; Floods; Ocean Acidification; Polar Bears; lack of atmosphieric dust; the failure of oceans to warm and rise as predicted.

In addition, the following developments further secured 2008 as the year the “consensus” collapsed. Russian scientists “rejected the very idea that carbon dioxide may be responsible for global warming”. An American Physical Society editor conceded that a “considerable presence” of scientific skeptics exist. An International team of scientists countered the UN IPCC, declaring: “Nature, Not Human Activity, Rules the Climate”. India Issued a report challenging global warming fears. International Scientists demanded the UN IPCC “be called to account and cease its deceptive practices,” and a canvass of more than 51,000 Canadian scientists revealed 68% disagree that global warming science is “settled.”

Discuss.

Should we not waste the Earth's resources, obvious answer. Are we destroying the earth and will we create a burning sun or an uninhabitable planet, I don't think so.

Recycle, don't waste, conserve where possible. Don't not bathe, live in a cave, eat everything raw and run around in palm frond clothes.

Also remember that no one gets out of this life alive. :)

Ben Raines

I think there are a lot of agendas to go around. It is the alignment of various agendas toward the formation of a global regulating body with the power to enforce its resolutions internationally that I am most weary of. This is the famous "conspiracy of ideals".

Real free trade would solve these issues. If we weren't propping up failing businesses and industries, the available capital could be allocated to real solutions, especially in the sector of energy.

-a-train

What would be the agendas of both sides? Could you summarize?

Gobal warming does not exist, we should continue with the our unbounded and increasing consumption of resources without regard to our planet since we couldn't possibly affect it in any way.

Global warming will kill us all in 5 years! We need to make everything "green" and stop anything that could possibly hurt the environment.

As a-train said, there are a lot of agendas to go around, those are just two examples. I've seen both sides grossly distort data or flat out ignore things.

There is global warming - the question is -- What is the cause and can we do anything about it?

Fossil fuels give off carbon monoxide gas which is not a green house gas. Those that are concerned about carbon emissions effect on climate need to be able to answer the following:

By what process does carbon monoxide, which is not a green house gas become the green house gas carbon dioxide? Describe in detail this reaction, including if it is endothermic or exothermic.

The Traveler

I think it's clear that Global Warming is caused by the sunspots changing, and now we're just coming out of it from the Middle Ages. It also is looking like 2008 has been the coldest year of the century.

That number of scientists dissenting is grossly underestimated, though, I have seen reports which say up to 30,000 scientists have questioned global warming.

It's just a good excuse for taxes, among other things, like Green Corps.

It's good to see the official number growing. Just last year, only 400 would put there name down. As that number grows, more and more scientists are feeling more comfortable with "coming out", it seems. This is good news for all those searching for truth.

As far as agendas, the reason I ask is because it's pretty obvious whose agenda gets the most media coverage, LOL. And, believe it or not, we will never run out of natural resources.

I just posted on my blog a link to a new U.S. government report on global warming:

Increased Scientific Dissent II

Discuss.

Who Al Bore? I mean Gore...the man who claimed invented the ARPANET and the Credit Card and now Global Warming? Have you seen his house energy bill? You will find his carbon footprint is bigger than his words.

I think it's clear that Global Warming is caused by the sunspots changing, and now we're just coming out of it from the Middle Ages. It also is looking like 2008 has been the coldest year of the century.

That number of scientists dissenting is grossly underestimated, though, I have seen reports which say up to 30,000 scientists have questioned global warming.

It's just a good excuse for taxes, among other things, like Green Corps.

Ugh...what Sun spots? :lol:

5.1 Exhaust composition and exposure data

Internal combustion engines have been used in cars, trucks, locomotives and other motorized machinery for about 100 years. Engine exhausts contain thousands of gaseous and particulate substances. The major gaseous products of both diesel- and gasoline-fuelled engines are carbon dioxide and water, but lower percentages of carbon monoxide, sulfur dioxide and nitrogen oxides as well as low molecular weight hydrocarbons and their derivatives are also formed. Submicron-size particles are present in the exhaust emissions of internal combustion engines. The particles present in diesel engine exhaust are composed mainly of elemental carbon, adsorbed organic material and traces of metallic compounds. The particles emitted from gasoline engines are composed primarily of metallic compounds (especially lead, if present in the fuel), elemental carbon and adsorbed organic material. Soluble organic fractions of the particles contain primarily polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons, heterocyclic compounds, phenols, nitroarenes and other oxygen- and nitrogen-containing derivatives.

The composition and quantity of the emissions from an engine depend mainly on the type and condition of the engine, fuel composition and additives, operating conditions and emission control devices. Particles emitted from engines operating with gasoline are different from diesel engine exhaust particles in terms of their size distribution and surface properties. Emissions of organic compounds from gasoline (leaded and unleaded) and diesel engines are qualitatively similar, but there are quantitative differences: diesel engines produce two to 40 times more particulate emissions and 20-30 times more nitroarenes than gasoline engines with a catalytic converter in the exhaust system when the engines have similar power output. Gasoline engines without catalytic converters and diesel engines of similar power output produce similar quantities of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons per kilometre; catalytic converters of the type used with gasoline vehicles reduce emissions of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons by more than ten times. Lead and halogenated compounds are also typically found in emissions from engines using leaded gasoline.

source: Diesel and Gasoline Engine Exhausts (IARC Summary & Evaluation, Volume 46, 1989)

definition of adsorbed from Wikipedia : ''Adsorption''' is a process that occurs when a gas or liquid [[solute]] accumulates on the surface of a solid or a liquid (adsorbent), forming a film of molecules or atoms (the adsorbate). It is different from absorption, in which a substance diffuses into a liquid or solid to form a solution. The term sorption encompasses both processes, while desorption is the reverse process.

Carbon dioxide is a greenhouse gas. Water vapour is a greenhouse gas, and those are the two primary components of exhaust. Water vapour staus in the atmosphere for about 9 days, Carbon Dioxide, a lot longer. For a good read, see Wapedia - Wiki: Greenhouse gas - mobile version of Wikipedia, good when wikipedia is slow. Of greatest importance to this discussion is section 3. Anthropogenic greenhouse gases

Don't believe the rhetoric, heck, don't even believe my analysis. Doyour own research and make up your own mind.