Rough Stone Rolling

bytor2112

2 hours ago, Grunt said:

Sure.  I celebrate Halloween also.  I don't have an issue with those who are stricter in their beliefs than I am.

If it's just belief...sure. When it's posted formally on a website and preached as if it's a higher, more pure way than all the other plebs... you know, all those Satan worshipping members that fill the ranks of the church.......

Hmm...... by the rancor in my tone (and heart), apparently, I just have a problem with it. Even if it's just a belief. How can anyone reasonably believe that way? Putting aside that it's SO insulting to other members (which being insulted isn't really the issue I have), it's the thought process that someone can have thinking that engaging in something that almost every faithful member engages in is Satanic and evil.

Now I have to repent for said rancor.

1 hour ago, The Folk Prophet said:

If it's just belief...sure. When it's posted formally on a website and preached as if it's a higher, more pure way than all the other plebs... you know, all those Satan worshipping members that fill the ranks of the church.......

Hmm...... by the rancor in my tone (and heart), apparently, I just have a problem with it. Even if it's just a belief. How can anyone reasonably believe that way? Putting aside that it's SO insulting to other members (which being insulted isn't really the issue I have), it's the thought process that someone can have thinking that engaging in something that almost every faithful member engages in is Satanic and evil.

Now I have to repent for said rancor.

We could also bring up the caffeine commandment too...that will really get things going...

Just now, mirkwood said:

We could also bring up the caffeine commandment too...that will really get things going...

Well now...I cannot respond to that in any way but agreement without becoming a major hypocrite.

That being said, I believe I am, at times, bending the Word of Wisdom somewhat in my usage. Great googly moogly I use a lot of caffeine!

But we have been counselled to not use mind or mood altering substances...so the argument really comes down to whether caffeine counts in that. Hmm. I suppose we have been counselled to not engage in Satanism too...so the argument really comes down to whether Halloween counts in that.

So the question is then, are these two ideas equivalent: 1. We have been counselled to not use mind/mood altering substances. Caffeine counts. We shouldn't use it and, 2. We have been counselled to not worship Satan. Halloween counts. We shouldn't celebrate it.

In my mind the arguments don't even come close to being the same, even though there are similarities.

Caffeine is clearly (to my thinking) a mind/mood altering substance that should realistically be used medicinally and not recreationally.* Halloween is clearly (to my thinking) not Satanic.

That being said...there are measures. I mean eating food of any sort is a mood, mind altering substance. So where's the line? Marijuana's easy. A sandwich is easy the other way. But caffeine sits somewhere in the gray that, clearly, poses a challenge in the decision making paradigm. Well, at least in my mind it does.

Hmm.

Or I guess what I'm saying...whenever someone's suggests in church that faithful members shouldn't use caffeine it's never really bothered me. I kind of think...yeah...I probably ought to not. But the no Halloween thing I roll my eyes at. 

*on a side note, I self medicate my A.D.D. with caffeine. But that's a tricky idea that I'm not always comfortable with. And despite the fact that I have that theoretical (and perhaps poor) excuse, I use it recreationally because it feels good. And that's not good. Or...does it make me feel normal and help me focus....and I just think it "feels good" because I feel so distracted and unmotivated otherwise?