Baptism

marshac

Not quite gospel, but i'm not sure where else to post this.

So here's the scoop. We got some new elders.... would it be wrong/weird/whatever to head on down to where one of our previous elders (~3hr away) was relocated to so that he could perform it? I know that where you live = where you go to church..... but does it apply to who baptizes you too?

They (the old ones) stopped by the night before they were leaving, and asked us that even if we decided that LDS wasn't for us, that we would keep seeking God, and if we found a church we did like, to get baptized. It was really important to them to know that we would.... I honestly didn't realize that they cared that much about us.... to me the "if not us, then someone else at least" statement showed true compassion.... I could tell that this wasn't in the normal playbook... this was really from their heart.

The new elders (one 'greenie', one 1.5 years in) stooped by today to say "Hi"......totally different vibe from these new guys. Not sure I like it as much (almost arrogant... the vibe I got from the experienced missionary was a "here's how you do it new guy" kinda thing). We shall see.... I sincerely hope I read it wrong, and it was simply me being slightly annoyed that they showed up like 20min early while we were still eating dinner. :)

Hopefully they don't try to ratchet up the pressure to convert....my newtonian wife is the type that will push back when pressed....

Just remember that in all situations, people are different and take different approaches. While the personality of the "old" Elder may not be to your liking as much as the previous Elders, it doesn't take away from the fact that the Gospel is true.

would it be wrong/weird/whatever to head on down to where one of our previous elders (~3hr away) was relocated to so that he could perform it? I know that where you live = where you go to church..... but does it apply to who baptizes you too?

Not really. Where you live is where you go to church. Really you can get baptized anywhere in the world. Your Membership Records (what we call it) well be in your Home ward, which is where you live.

The difference really is, most of the members in your Home ward would like to be a part of your baptism. Not sure if they would be willing to drive 3 hours.

Not sure which mission you are in, some might (and thats a small might) let the previous missionary come back to your area to perform the baptism. But you would probably need to tell the current Elders about that. (They have to get approval to do such a thing, but don't get your hopes up).

We shall see.... I sincerely hope I read it wrong, and it was simply me being slightly annoyed that they showed up like 20min early while we were still eating dinner.

You will come to learn that each Missionary is different (some are like the way you explain, some aren't). You also will come to learn that members also range in different ways. The key is to know why you are joining and that is independent of the Missionaires or members (it should because you know its true, and will help you in life).

What you are doing is normal, we all kind of have this view of what we expect people to be, some fit it, some don't. Thats life.

While the personality of the "old" Elder may not be to your liking as much as the previous Elders, it doesn't take away from the fact that the Gospel is true.

I like the use of quotes around "old." indeed, it's a relative term ^_^

What you say is true of course- and it won't stop us regardless :)

I think i'll skip the jokes though... although reading Alma 31:15-18 is still good idea....

When I got baptised my husband, who wasn't interested in the gospel, wouldn't consent to my children being baptised but a couple of months later he changed his mind. My daughter wanted the missionary who taught and baptised me to baptise her but he had moved on to another area. The new missionaries taught her but the missionary who baptised me was given permission to come back and do the baptism.

I do know that this isn't always the case though and permission does have to be given.

Marshac,

If you’re ready to get baptized, let me be one of the first to give you a virtual handshake and a big congrats!

I know that you feel strongly about those individuals that showed you the path to the truth, and I can tell you that their service in your behalf will change their lives.

For now, since you have not experienced it you cannot understand what a great spiritual experience you will have as you come out of the water. And the first time you experience the direction of the Holy Ghost as your companion and mentor, you'll probably not be able to express it with words.

Sometimes, we forget that every priesthood holder has a line of authority; he can trace his priesthood authority in an unbroken line to the Savior.

The only reason we need a priesthood holder to officiate, is that the Savior could not make it, personally. As a Priesthood holder I never do anything “of myself”

But with that said, you should still be comfortable with the details of your baptism. It would seem to me that you might get your good Bishop involved here and ask him for a little council.

I know I may not be the best example here, but all I really remember about my actual baptism was my feet were freezing before and afterwords the feeling was so intense I could not say I ever felt so warm and comfortable, and blessed before. It is nearly ½ a century ago and I still only remember the way I felt.

Edited by JimB

Guest missingsomething

Some missions where a certain Elder was involved in the teaching process can return for the Baptism with permission from his or her Mission President...:)

Pale .. darn it.. you took the words right out of my MOUTH.

Mar - contact the mission Pres and he will let you know his thoughts on this. It is a memorable occasion - for sure - just dont forget why its memorable (which I SO dont think you would forget.... Im just preparing you for a possible "no"). :)