Potty Training

Setheus

There needs to be a searious chapter on caring for your older parents that are sometimes more like children than the great parents you once knew. This chapter of life is one I was most untrained for and feel there is as much need to care givers as for those in need of care.

The Traveler

Originally posted by shanstress70@Jan 28 2005, 11:17 AM

Setheus, you don't seem the type to write a book on potty training. But perhaps I'm wrong. If you are, I'll buy it, cause it's a tough thing to go through! I'm dealing with it now with my 2 year old.

My wife and I used Dum-Dum suckers to bribe my son when he was potty training. He'd do anything for those, and it worked like a charm. To teach him to pee without hitting the toilet seat, we'd drop a Cheerio into the water and have him try to sink it.

Originally posted by Outshined+Feb 3 2005, 06:03 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Outshined @ Feb 3 2005, 06:03 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--shanstress70@Jan 28 2005, 11:17 AM

Setheus, you don't seem the type to write a book on potty training.  But perhaps I'm wrong.  If you are, I'll buy it, cause it's a tough thing to go through!  I'm dealing with it now with my 2 year old.

My wife and I used Dum-Dum suckers to bribe my son when he was potty training. He'd do anything for those, and it worked like a charm. To teach him to pee without hitting the toilet seat, we'd drop a Cheerio into the water and have him try to sink it.

That sounds like a good plan in theory...but what about when it doesn't sink? Does he feel a sence of failure? And what if he moves it too far to one side or the other and over corrects ! :o:lol:

The end result could be chaos! ;)

Originally posted by Setheus@Feb 7 2005, 03:15 PM

That sounds like a good plan in theory...but what about when it doesn't sink? Does he feel a sence of failure? And what if he moves it too far to one side or the other and over corrects ! :o:lol:

The end result could be chaos! ;)

The point isn't to make it stay sunken; that never happens. The point is to let him keep hitting it and making it go under, then it bobs up again.

It's more than theory; I've seen it work very well with three boys so far; one son and two nephews. The over-correction situation never came up. :D