Vestiges

marshac

As a new convert, I have some stuff (wine, various spirits, teas, like 15 pounds of coffee including some delicious kona peaberry beans...etc) that I should probably get rid of.

If you were in this position, how would you dispose of it? Most of this stuff is not cheap (think $100/bottle items), and I would cry if I just dumped it down the drain.... but at the same time, how am I supposed to feel handing this stuff off to friends? Just because I can't consume it anymore.... should they? Should I be imposing my "new" beliefs on them by denying them items i'm divesting myself of?

I know they want it.... they have already been claiming "dibs" on specific items.... in some ways it's like watching my own estate sale :D

So what would you do?

Give it to your friends.

Don't impose your beliefs on your friends. They know how you feel about it, hence the 'dibbs' on the stuff they know you won't have anything to do with anymore.

Dumping it down the sink would be a total waste of some expensive stuff. Don't overthink it too much. Maybe you can say a prayer about it if you're still uncertain what to do, but my advise beyond prayer is to just give it to someone who'll make better use of your hard earned money than pouring it down the drain.

Guest Alana

Giving it to them is a good missionary moment. Maybe you have some neighbors you don't know too well that would like some also? I really don't see you giving it to them as though you are 'leading them astray' not at all.

Your mileage may vary:

When my mom gave up smoking, she gave her last cartons of cigarettes to her sister who was traveling to Romania, to bribe the border guards as they adopted and took a kid out.

When I increased my own personal discipleship and had a lot of awful music CD's sitting there, I just tossed them in the trash. I had no personal attachment to them.

You can always store them and use them as barter items when society collapses and mad max rules the day.

I dunno - I think the other responses here are good too, and probably a bit more realistic.

LM

(still keeps tools in coffee cans)

Does anybody here keep those items that they no longer use, such as tea and coffee, to give to visiting relatives/friends who do drink them?

I'm asking this partly because of a comment I heard about somebody having had help from church welfare with their shopping, and then when the till receipt was checked it was discovered that they had bought...shock of all shocks!! tea and coffee amongst their other items...

Are we really to be that picky when we know we are likely to have visitors who drink tea and coffee?