Is Jesus God?

Jim108

Would it not be proper to say:

Heavenly Father - God Almighty for whom we strive to live with in Eternal Life. Who delegated the creation of the earth and all it's inhabitants, including humanity.

Jesus Christ - The Son of God to whom the creation of the earth and it's inhabitants was delegated to for which through him we may gain eternal life as a result of his atonement. Which atonement would be without merit if he did not create us all, so by virtue of all this, he is a God himself.

Holy Ghost - The testifier of all that is true. His calling to testify in Gods name, from the throne of God, makes him a God of Truth.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Christ is our Lord our God while God the Father is the one true God as Christ himself taught. The nature of God the Father and Jesus Christ are pretty clear in the scriptures.

Yep.

Of course once again both LDS, Catholics/Protestants, and Jehovah's witnesses all agree that the scriptures are pretty clear on the nature of God the Father and Jesus Christ. Of course they all come to different conclusions about what is being pretty clearly taught in the scriptures.

Edited by Dravin

The question of whether Jesus is God has been a question that I have also had. Jesus Christ is my Savior, and the Son of God, and sometimes I wonder if that means He is God. So, I have done some research. One source is Jesus the Christ by James E. Talmage. James E. Talmage was one of the Twelve Apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints from 1911 until his death in 1933. It says, "We claim scriptural authority for the assertion that Jesus was and is God the Creator, the God who revealed Himself to Adam, Enoch, and all the antediluvial patriarchs and prophets down to Noah; the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob; the God of Israel as a united people, and the God of Ephraim and Judah after the disruption of the Hebrew nation; the God who made Himself known to the prophets from Moses to Malachi; the God of the Old Testament record; and the God of the Nephites. We affirm that Jesus Christ was and is Jehovah, the Eternal One" (Ch. 4 - The Antemortal Godship Of Christ).

From what I have learned from the teachings of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, is that our Father in Heaven directs and guides EVERYTHING that Jesus Christ does. Therefore, they are one in purpose, but they are two separate beings. Jesus Christ lives. Our Father in Heaven is the living God. But when I think of "God" I often think of the Godhead. This consists of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost. Unless in context, in the scriptures, God is referring to just the Father.

So, I have only tried to answer your first question. Your questions are noteworthy. I encourage all to follow Jesus Christ, and to be baptized in His name. I encourage all to repent, and to endure till the end. That we may return to the Heavenly Father and His Son, Jesus Christ.

I think it's quite clear from the scriptures, both ancient and modern, that Jesus is God. I see this (referring to Jesus as "God") not only in the New Testament, but in the Book of Mormon, D&C, etc. Now, this does not mean that Jesus is God the Father, nor does it mean that He is the same Person as the Father (as the Unitarians/modalists would believe). So, I think when asking if Jesus is God, we must be clear as to what we mean by "God". In one sense Jesus is God, however in another, when "God" means "the Father", He is of course not the Father.

I think it's quite clear from the scriptures, both ancient and modern, that Jesus is God. I see this (referring to Jesus as "God") not only in the New Testament, but in the Book of Mormon, D&C, etc. Now, this does not mean that Jesus is God the Father, nor does it mean that He is the same Person as the Father (as the Unitarians/modalists would believe). So, I think when asking if Jesus is God, we must be clear as to what we mean by "God". In one sense Jesus is God, however in another, when "God" means "the Father", He is of course not the Father.

Can Jesus claim the title of Father? or even our Father? The truthful answer lies in the title of "Father" and our understanding of that title as it relates to us. Jesus is the "Father" of salvation to all that are fallen. But this does not imply that the "Father" of salvation is the same person or G-d as the Father in Heaven to which Jesus prayed.

The Traveler

Can Jesus claim the title of Father? or even our Father? The truthful answer lies in the title of "Father" and our understanding of that title as it relates to us. Jesus is the "Father" of salvation to all that are fallen. But this does not imply that the "Father" of salvation is the same person or G-d as the Father in Heaven to which Jesus prayed.

The Traveler

Yes, Jesus is referred to as "Father" in both the Bible and the Book of Mormon, however He is "Father" in a sense that does not include Him being the Person known as "God the Father/Heavenly Father", as Unitarians would understand Him to be. Agreed.