Disbelieving the Scriptures.

Snow

This board is pretty tame much of the times but I have had some of the most intense and educational times of my life - arguing back and forth on what makes sense. I've gotten so much out of the process... I just trying to give back a little ;)

You're talking about me, right? Because you must admit, I've educated you on a number of issues, especially the fact that "snitty" is not a word. :P

Okay, maybe the only thing you got from me was an introduction to Paul Potts. But that should count for something!

Elph

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're talking about me, right? Because you must admit, I've educated you on a number of issues, especially the fact that "snitty" is not a word. :P

Okay, maybe the only thing you got from me was an introduction to Paul Potts. But that should count for something!

Elph

Yes - admittedly - I have been schooled by you, not just on a few new words and Paul Potts - I have become better educated about Church History as well.

Resulta que sale de mi camello, rumbo mi hato con la harina en el poso de mi talon.

Que hay de tu camello? Es dueno de un camello?

Personally, I don't find that a bit of contention drives away the Spirit. Contention generates passion which generates intensity which more fully engages one's faculties. And when one's faculties are fully engaged, the Spirit's enlightening influence is more focused and effective. ... that's just my take.

That is what I like about your posts even though I do not agree always... I love being motivated to think...... to research and to learn more..... You may ruffle some feathers but I think it is a good thing I appreciate the fact you take the time to answer even the simplest questions ( mine).. I finally feel comfortable with believing in the church and being able to question things or try to understand them.

Thanks

Originally Posted by Snow

Resulta que sale de mi camello, rumbo mi hato con la harina en el poso de mi talon.

Posted by Pam

Que hay de tu camello? Es dueno de un camello?

Posted by Snow

Eran las palabras de una cancion de algunos marijuaneros en Ecuador hace 30 anos.

Posted by Pam

Lo que aprenden allí?

Must be an inside joke?:confused:

Nothing about a cockroach in there;)

Something about a camel:rolleyes:

Snows camel?:eek:

:D

Bro. Rudick

Edited by JohnnyRudick
After thought;-)

Must be an inside joke?:confused:

I was just posting the words to a song I'd heard on the radio on my mission. It was a song made up of marijuana slang. For example, instead of saying: "I read the newspaper" they would say: "I ate a bowl of alphabet soup."

• 2 months later...

However, it doesn't necessarily take much time - I read the Bible three times on my mission and the contradictions and errors just leapt off the page.

Just found this thread, it looked interesting.

You know for some of us - we read the scriptures and truth and light and understanding and faith just leap off the pages. I guess it all depends on what you're looking for. "Seek and ye shall find."

/me shrugs

Just found this thread, it looked interesting.

You know for some of us - we read the scriptures and truth and light and understanding and faith just leap off the pages. I guess it all depends on what you're looking for. "Seek and ye shall find."

/me shrugs

Ah, the self-righteous angle. Is it working for you?

Tell me what you made of the contradictions - the ones not due to translation errors?

Then can we safely assume that you cover your head while praying and keep silent at church? I bet not. I bet you'll reject that scripture today (Sunday).

this is why we have modern revelation..

And technology, creativity, innovation, futuristic, imaginative....But I still think Spanish remains the celestial language....ehem, ehem....Just my bias...;)

of course .. EL inglés es interesantes, español es el lenguaje celestial .. je je pero no hay nada mejor que aprender a usar lo mejor de cada cual...

Edited by glow_inthe_dark_girl

Ah, the self-righteous angle. Is it working for you?

It works out pretty well on forums - but it's hard to get a girlfriend when you know more about Levitical Law than you do about sports.

Tell me what you made of the contradictions - the ones not due to translation errors?

Be specific. Give me an example. In fact, give me any scripture you take issue with - or several.

• 2 weeks later...

Be specific. Give me an example. In fact, give me any scripture you take issue with - or several.

I'm not asking for apologetic spins. I know all the possible solutions that creative minds come up with to explain why conflicting scripture doesn't mean what it actually says, Rather I am asking how one reconciles the real, known problems without resorting to spin.

If you like, you can think about the conflicting birth accounts, the erroneous birth chronology, the conflicting Jesus genealogies, the conflicting end of life (Christ's) accounts, etc, etc, etc

I'm not asking for apologetic spins. I know all the possible solutions that creative minds come up with to explain why conflicting scripture doesn't mean what it actually says, Rather I am asking how one reconciles the real, known problems without resorting to spin.

If you like, you can think about the conflicting birth accounts, the erroneous birth chronology, the conflicting Jesus genealogies, the conflicting end of life (Christ's) accounts, etc, etc, etc

Have you ever taken an art class? I could explain much better than draw so I am not the expert here. But from one model-object over a table, the resulting 20-something drawings from teh observer/class could not be more different. And we were ALL looking at the same object.

The accounts were gathered by different people at different times many years after the Savior's ministry. Without video and audio cameras, recall is a fraction of of the factual events. I happen to know a thing or two about interviewing, memory and recall. The Gospels are no different than any other multi-witness statement after the fact.

Hmmm. Spin: Slang. a particular viewpoint or bias, esp. in the media; slant: They tried to put a favorable spin on the news coverage of the controversial speech.

So you're asking me for my viewpoint on a subject while asking me to refrain from having a viewpoint? Who's using their beloved critical thinking now?

Those things you have mentioned, ie geneologies and the like, are easily reconcilable as Islander says. Try playing telephone sometime. Frankly, the Book of Mormon (and Pearl of Great Price) is the only canon book of scripture that was completely translated by revelation, the Old and New Testaments are chock full of the "errors of men" - that's standard LDS doctrine. The fact remains, however, that the Bible is still the word of God, in spite of those errors.

Hmmm. Spin: Slang. a particular viewpoint or bias, esp. in the media; slant: They tried to put a favorable spin on the news coverage of the controversial speech.

So you're asking me for my viewpoint on a subject while asking me to refrain from having a viewpoint? Who's using their beloved critical thinking now?

Those things you have mentioned, ie geneologies and the like, are easily reconcilable as Islander says. Try playing telephone sometime. Frankly, the Book of Mormon (and Pearl of Great Price) is the only canon book of scripture that was completely translated by revelation, the Old and New Testaments are chock full of the "errors of men" - that's standard LDS doctrine. The fact remains, however, that the Bible is still the word of God, in spite of those errors.

We don't realize it just how often we "reconcile" what is said with what we "know they must mean" with out even realizing it.

That is just the way it is in human interactions.

Yes, it does make things more interesting and open up for more confusion also.

That is just "life" not so plain and not so simple.

I have not problem harmonizing the so called problems Snow listed and yes,

I have a lot more faith in all the Scriptures then many cause I guess I am just that

gullible.

Bro. Rudick

And the fish takes the bait and were off to another exciting discussion with Snow controling the pole .

no offence intended nor implyed :}

Actually, I worked at a zoo for some time and am a licensed (bonded and insured) troll handler :)