Disbelieving the Scriptures.

Snow

Okay, this probably belongs in a different thread, but I'll just put it here for now until Snow tells me to stop hijacking his thread...

I'm trying to understand the different personalities at play here:

1.) Snow - logical thinker, outspoken (or is, outwritten, hah!), will argue with or without tact, and will not take crap from anybody.

2.) FunkyTown - doesn't like snow. doesn't like tactless arguments. passive agressive, I think.

3.) HemiDakota - close to a scripture expert, expresses predictions of the future, gets visits from... not quite sure who, Heavenly Father?

4.) Bro Rudick - sounds like he's a scriptorian. Lots of knowledge about the gospel.

5.) applepansy and Connie - generally nice guy/gal and just wants everybody to get along

6.) Anatess - Filipino living in Florida, english only a tertiary language, having a hard time applying her communication methods (including those learned in debate class) and her assertiveness training in an internet forum. I think it's because the rules are completely different in an anonymous forum, or that there are no rules of etiquette here. But, I'm learning fast and will soon get used to this.

So, carry on... I'm actually beginning to see the "nuggets of wisdom" in these threads...

Never had someone accuse me of being passive-aggressive before.;)

But you're right. I don't like Snow, his attitude, his argument style or the avatar he chose.

I am curious what the point of your post was?

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1.) Snow...

2.) FunkyTown...

3.) HemiDakota...

4.) Bro Rudick...

5.) applepansy and Connie...

6.) Anatess...

So, where do I fit in? The fact that you don't include me in this list is a hate crime against me because my screen name starts with an 'M'.

Why do you hate the letter 'M'?

This post brought to you by the letter 'M'

So, where do I fit in? The fact that you don't include me in this list is a hate crime against me because my screen name starts with an 'M'.

Why do you hate the letter 'M'?

This post brought to you by the letter 'M'

It is not the M. It's the X. I have trouble with the letter X. It just seems soooo... negative. You know, like the big fat red X on my kindergarten test paper. Left a big dent on my psyche that I still haven't gotten over. :D

Maxel - he's a fair guy. doesn't engage in negativism.

Close?

Never had someone accuse me of being passive-aggressive before.;)

But you're right. I don't like Snow, his attitude, his argument style or the avatar he chose.

I am curious what the point of your post was?

Hi Funky! There's not much point to the post. Just a newbie trying to get to know the people here. I'm starting to find it difficult to determine if a post is being sarcastic, funny, argumentative, teasing, etc., without the benefit of facial expression and vocal inflections. Snow, for example, sometimes comes out as abrassive, but I'm thinking it's just my own interpretation of the post and not really what Snow intended to portray. Or maybe not...

There's somebody else who seems to have the same "online" personality as Snow... Elphaba. And their Avatars are all about the eye! ;)

Edited by anatess

When you do know HIM personally, mortal life becomes of waiting game with exiting to the next realm. ;)

But mortal life is not just a waiting game, Hemi. Right? I mean, waiting is very passive. I think it is not waiting, but preparation. Preparation denotes having to achieve something here.

Now that is a interesting statement.

You know Rudick, GOD does still speak today to HIS children [considered the Morning Stars], with personal visitation. Now, does that constitute them as prophets also? Even though, it is only a few of them, but unknown to the church [media attention] and its membership.

Brother Hemidakota;

I will answer this way.

Even though Paul (Saul) could easily be classified as a prophet, he insisted on being identified as an Apostle sent by God.

Galatians 1:1 Paul, an apostle, (not of men, neither by man,

but by Jesus Christ, and God the Father, who raised him from the

dead;)

Sometimes we should just remain silent;)

Bro. Rudick

Okay, this probably belongs in a different thread, but I'll just put it here for now until Snow tells me to stop hijacking his thread...

1.) Snow - logical thinker, outspoken (or is, outwritten, hah!), will argue with or without tact, and will not take crap from anybody.

2.) FunkyTown - doesn't like snow. doesn't like tactless arguments. passive agressive, I think.

3.) HemiDakota - close to a scripture expert, expresses predictions of the future, gets visits from... not quite sure who, Heavenly Father?

4.) Bro Rudick - sounds like he's a scriptorian. Lots of knowledge about the gospel.

5.) applepansy and Connie - generally nice guy/gal and just wants everybody to get along

6.) Anatess - Filipino living in Florida, english only a tertiary language, having a hard time applying her communication methods (including those learned in debate class) and her assertiveness training in an internet forum. I think it's because the rules are completely different in an anonymous forum, or that there are no rules of etiquette here. But, I'm learning fast and will soon get used to this.

So, carry on... I'm actually beginning to see the "nuggets of wisdom" in these threads...

Welcome Sister Anatess;)

I pray we will all be of service to your needs and bless you in timely manner.

That is, as needed:D

Bro. Rudick

You're right... I would probably be surprised, IF you stated who your target audience is. Just because your posts engender "lots of passion, both pro and con" doesn't make those posters your target. Unless your motive is to just be argumentative.

I think your trying hard to be a provacateur. Sadly that doesn't work well for constructive discussion.

I like to be argumentative but that is not my motivation. I like to provoke, but that is not my motivation.

I like to get people riled up enough that they engage in a topic with enough passion that they "think" (as opposed to relying on dogama) and sometimes study in a way that they otherwise would not and that in doing so, they motivate me to learn something as well - that's my motivation.

I find that people who aren't "thinkers" at heart don't much care for my posting, but you can check the three most active threads of the general and gospel boards (besides the game and joke threads) and you will find that 2 of them are my threads and the 3 is one in which I am a primary participant. People like action and enthusiasm.

Edited by Snow

I have to take exception to the above characterizations. Let me present the truth as I see it:

1) Snow: Call me Bronco.

2)FunkyTown: Clothes-horses. Can wear em right off the rack.

3) HemiDakota: Obsessed with bankrupt truck companies.

4)Bro Rudick: Closet democrat.

5) applepasny and Connie: One-hit wonders in the sixties with their pop hit song: Groovy Gravy Boat of Love.

6) Anatess: Sounds awfully comfortable with the word "tertiary" for someone for whom English is a third language.

6) Anatess: Sounds awfully comfortable with the word "tertiary" for someone for whom English is a third language.

And I know how to spell the longest word without spell check! Ready?

Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis. A lung disease caused by inhalation of silica from volcanic ash. Cool, huh?

I had to learn English - in the Philippines, ALL schools are taught in english - from Kindergarten onwards. Every year, we had English courses all the way to 2nd semester in college. We also had Pilipino courses (my 2nd language, the Philippine National Language - required course). I happen to live in an area who speak Bisaya (my primary language). I took oratory and debate classes in high school for extra credit to learn to "speak" english - I found out that spoken English and written English are completely different. You don't have the backspace key in oration! And even then, I stepped into San Francisco airport and everybody was talking some form of english that I could not understand! So, I found out that conversational english is completely different as well. I was not taught what it meant when somebody said something like, "Pretty good!". I can't be sure if "pretty good" is a superlative of good or not. And just little idiotic things like that... And man, I didn't know I had an ACCENT! I had to speak very slowly to be understood! And it's already slow anyway because I say a lot of uhs and ahs trying to find that word I'm trying to use (kinda like Obama without the teleprompter times 10). So, one thing I like about these forums - I'm on equal footing seems like!

Hey Snow, I got some line that I used to say a lot when I was a spunky teen-ager that I think you'll like:

Canned response to when somebody throws a snide remark - "How dare you insinuate that I can tolerate such a diabolical insolence from a scrap of humanity such as you! In other words, shut up!"

:D

And there I go again... hijacking this thread...

I like to be argumentative but that is not my motivation. I like to provoke, but that is not my motivation.

That has been obvious.

I like to get people riled up enough that they engage in a topic with enough passion that they "think" (as opposed to relying on dogama) and sometimes study in a way that they otherwise would not and that in doing so, they motivate me to learn something as well - that's my motivation.

You're assuming that someone who bears their testimony or just states their beliefs has not THOUGHT or STUDIED. Your replies to those people in the recent posts have been disrespectful. If you can't say it in a respectful way, don't say it. You're losing your audience.

I find that people who aren't "thinkers" at heart don't much care for my posting, but you can check the three most active threads of the general and gospel boards (besides the game and joke threads) and you will find that 2 of them are my threads and the 3 is one in which I am a primary participant. People like action and enthusiasm.

If nothing else you are entertaining :D Unfortunately you're also disrespectful and you assume a lot about posters who don't agree with you. You have no way of knowing what they have read or studied.

I hope that you can find a more respectful way to be argumentative and provacative. First, its just good manners and Second, good manners make posts more interesting and entertaining. I always love reading posts where the poster is educated enough to say exactly what they mean without giving offense or being offensive. Its a craft and not everyone is capable. It will be interesting to see if you have this skill. (I'm always fascinated to hear or read a wordsmith at work.)

Contention just drives the Spirit away, but then you should know that.:)

applepansy

English is the language of progress.

I guess that is why I struggle so:p

Bro. Rudick

And technology, creativity, innovation, futuristic, imaginative....But I still think Spanish remains the celestial language....ehem, ehem....Just my bias...;)

That has been obvious.

You're assuming that someone who bears their testimony or just states their beliefs has not THOUGHT or STUDIED. Your replies to those people in the recent posts have been disrespectful. If you can't say it in a respectful way, don't say it. You're losing your audience.

If nothing else you are entertaining :D Unfortunately you're also disrespectful and you assume a lot about posters who don't agree with you. You have no way of knowing what they have read or studied.

I hope that you can find a more respectful way to be argumentative and provacative. First, its just good manners and Second, good manners make posts more interesting and entertaining. I always love reading posts where the poster is educated enough to say exactly what they mean without giving offense or being offensive. Its a craft and not everyone is capable. It will be interesting to see if you have this skill. (I'm always fascinated to hear or read a wordsmith at work.)

Contention just drives the Spirit away, but then you should know that.:)

applepansy

I probably won't change in any long term appreciable way. I sometimes become more subtle or obscure in what I say but over the long haul I am typically blunt and direct. You may think that it drives away readers but years of experience show me that what it mostly means that posters say they won't read what I write but then actually do read it and try and fight the urge to respond. I too enjoy reading a skilled writer who doesn't offend but I prefer to post as I do - I typically do not get motivated by positive challenges to "improve."

Another thing I've found is that transparent explanations of what I am doing (by posting as I do) and why actually generates more interest (and readership). You would think it would be the opposite but posters act all annoyed but no matter how many times I describe my tactics or motivations and people act all annoyed... they keep coming back to the well.

Personally, I don't find that a bit of contention drives away the Spirit. Contention generates passion which generates intensity which more fully engages one's faculties. And when one's faculties are fully engaged, the Spirit's enlightening influence is more focused and effective. ... that's just my take.

Tengo que aprender mas espanol entonces. Darn it..that was to Islander. Snow beat me with a post inbetween.

Me too, me too:D

Ummmmmmm, but first I must learn gooder English:p

Bro. Rudick

Edited by JohnnyRudick
After thought;-)