Hill Cumorah Expedition Team

Snow

Hill Cumorah Expedition Team Home Page

I don't think this has been posted here for awhile. A couple of years ago we had someone from the expedition team come onto the board and field a few questions and barbs.

They are from the (former) RLDS and believe that they have stumbled upon an important Book of Mormon archeological site that might include some sort of ancient library of records and writings.

I check their site a couple times a year to see if they are making any progress.

I am friends with several people on the team. I don't believe they have found anything archeologically. I think they are finding a ministry giving care to the local people they meet though.

I agree - they probably haven't but they claim to have found something "archeologically"

In the 2004 expedition they claim that they were inspired to find a important and ancient tablet with writing on it that would be translated.

They then claimed that they had received revelation for the world:

"To Tim Brown, Jerry Stoner and Neil Steede: Because of your faith, you three

have witnessed the outpour of My everlasting blessings. Go forth and bare

witness that My servant did pull this tablet, which I had laid there, from

the ground with his own hands, under the guidance of the Holy Spirit, which

compelled him to dig under his very seat.

Then to the group and then the world: It has started.

I was later to tell Neil: Because of your faithfulness, you have been entrusted

with this tablet and more."

... still wait'n on that translation.

Edited by Snow

I agree - they probably haven't but they claim to have found something "archeologically"

In the 2004 expedition they claim that they were inspired to find a important and ancient tablet with writing on it that would be translated.

They then claimed that they had received revelation for the world:

"To Tim Brown, Jerry Stoner and Neil Steede: Because of your faith, you three

have witnessed the outpour of My everlasting blessings. Go forth and bare

witness that My servant did pull this tablet, which I had laid there, from

the ground with his own hands, under the guidance of the Holy Spirit, which

compelled him to dig under his very seat.

Then to the group and then the world: It has started.

I was later to tell Neil: Because of your faithfulness, you have been entrusted

with this tablet and more."

... still wait'n on that translation.

Yeah... As background, This is not a program or ministry of Community of Christ. It's largely the Brown extended family and like-minded friends in a few Independence area congregations. They are quite sincere and passionate, but I have major doubts about this work. It is not recognized or supported by the church. Stacie

Hi Teancum, I have read and I have discussed this with some of the team, many, many times. We disagree on many levels, but we are friends and we have a mutual respect for each other's discipleship and passion. I was not so much belittling as clarifying their association with Community of Christ. From my perspective, it's important to represent that clearly. No offense intended.

Hi Teancum, I have read and I have discussed this with some of the team, many, many times. We disagree on many levels, but we are friends and we have a mutual respect for each other's discipleship and passion. I was not so much belittling as clarifying their association with Community of Christ. From my perspective, it's important to represent that clearly. No offense intended.

Stacie,

The first part was not directed at you, I was thinking I should be clearer. But I did notice you didn't answer my question to you...

Do you believe the Book of Mormon is authentic history?

Stacie,

The first part was not directed at you, I was thinking I should be clearer. But I did notice you didn't answer my question to you...

I think I'll pass. :peace: I respect the religious understandings of the good people here, whether I agree or not. Once in a while I chime in from my understanding, but as a rule I try to steer clear of beliefs conversations in this setting. thanks, stacie

I think I'll pass. :peace: I respect the religious understandings of the good people here, whether I agree or not. Once in a while I chime in from my understanding, but as a rule I try to steer clear of beliefs conversations in this setting. thanks, stacie

So of course you have difficulty with their endeavors... you believe there is nothing to find because you believe the Book of Mormon is inspired fiction, like many others in your church do.

This is not meant to argue beliefs, just to properly understand the core reason for your difficulty with Neil Steede and Company.

So of course you have difficulty with their endeavors... you believe there is nothing to find because you believe the Book of Mormon is inspired fiction, like many others in your church do.

This is not meant to argue beliefs, just to properly understand the core reason for your difficulty with Neil Steede and Company.

Not going to bite. I have no control how far you extrapolate on what I haven't said , and I'm not going to participate in a battle of the Churches. No one wins, everyone loses. bye

Not going to bite. I have no control how far you extrapolate on what I haven't said , and I'm not going to participate in a battle of the Churches. No one wins, everyone loses. bye

AGAIN, I am not trying to have an argument over churches or beliefs, I am trying to make clear your core difficulty with the HCET. I believe I have done that. Thank you, Stacie.

PS... Becoming upset and assigning motives where there is none is very unbecoming.

BTW, do you have so little faith in the people here, that you believe you will get attacked for merely expressing WHY you have difficulty with the HCET? I think most here are reasonable enough to accept your position concerning the Book of Mormon, even if they don't agree.

Stacie,

I didn't see anyone belittle them - yet, but I think they are out to lunch re finding anything about the Book of Mormon and way out to dinner when they claim that they have received revelation to the world: " It has started." Apparently, it hasn't.

I didn't see anyone belittle them - yet, but I think they are out to lunch re finding anything about the Book of Mormon and way out to dinner when they claim that they have received revelation to the world: " It has started." Apparently, it hasn't.

You don't see it but you are doing it right there in your post... irony at it's finest.

Have you even looked at their website? :confused:

You don't see it but you are doing it right there in your post... irony at it's finest.

Whoops - you missed it. I said "yet" and THEN I belittled them - a bit too subtle I guess.

Have you even looked at their website? :confused:

I've been following it and reading it for about 3 years.

Whoops - you missed it. I said "yet" and THEN I belittled them - a bit too subtle I guess.

I've been following it and reading it for about 3 years.

:lol: I totally forgot you are the original poster :doh:

Anyhoo, they have a lot of good stuff to say. I think people here are more hung up on the fact they aren't LDS. I think we should support anyone putting forth an effort to promote Book of Mormon archeology, regardless of their religious leanings.

:lol: I totally forgot you are the original poster :doh:

Anyhoo, they have a lot of good stuff to say. I think people here are more hung up on the fact they aren't LDS. I think we should support anyone putting forth an effort to promote Book of Mormon archeology, regardless of their religious leanings.

When I originally read their website a couple years ago, the first thing that crossed my mind is that they were nuts. The second thing that crossed my mind was - what if they are on to something real, they aren't even LDS, that would be hard to take. The third thing that crossed my mind was that they were still nuts but that I should check back regularly just in case. So far there's nothing substantive despite the "revelation."