What role SHOULD the government play?

bytor2112

Most of you know by know that Bytor isn't a believer in BIG government. ;) That being said, I am also a realist and recognize that the genie has been out of the bottle for a while and is not going back in anytime soon.....maybe never.

I think we can all agree that the role of the U.S. government has changed and increased since the inception of our country and necessarily so as we have changed a great deal since our infancy. Without getting into reasons like the war between the states that forever changed our country and the woeful treatment of former slaves and subsequent generations and the breakdown of the family that so often leads to poverty......how large a role should the government play in our lives?

What would YOU change? Would you end entitlement programs? (I wouldn't, but I would make them more effective). Would you end foreign aid? Radically change taxation? Return more power back to the states?

I would simplify and cut and make more effective. Smaller government, less intrusion and lower taxes....how about you?

Most of you know by know that Bytor isn't a believer in BIG government. ;) That being said, I am also a realist and recognize that the genie has been out of the bottle for a while and is not going back in anytime soon.....maybe never.

I think we can all agree that the role of the U.S. government has changed and increased since the inception of our country and necessarily so as we have changed a great deal since our infancy. Without getting into reasons like the war between the states that forever changed our country and the woeful treatment of former slaves and subsequent generations and the breakdown of the family that so often leads to poverty......how large a role should the government play in our lives?

What would YOU change? Would you end entitlement programs? (I wouldn't, but I would make them more effective). Would you end foreign aid? Radically change taxation? Return more power back to the states?

I would simplify and cut and make more effective. Smaller government, less intrusion and lower taxes....how about you?

Amen!!!

Look at California. In 6 years the state bureaucracy has increased by 20%!!! Why should my tax dollars go to support programs that I find philosophically and even morally objectionable? It is very likely that we would move out of California next year. Some 20% lower tax (other states) sounds very appealing right now.

I would like to see term limits not only for elected officials but for government employees...those who work in the halls of power, have a lot of influence and are never voted for. I think we could make some good change if everyone was fired and we started over. :)

I would like to see more accountability in the welfare program. Why are people willing to work subjected to drug testing but people on welfare aren't? I know there are some people on welfare that need it and deserve it, but there are many who are on welfare who are on drugs and aren't contributing to society where they can.

We need less Federal interference in State law. Federal is there to protect States rights not take them away.

Bytor, I agree simplify and cut.

I don't mind big government, as long as it is on the state level. This maximizes freedom so that each individual can choose what kind of state he/she wishes to live in.

The Feds job is to ensure that freedom is defended from others, and to ensure one state does not trample upon the rights of another state. Otherwise, they should stay out.

Mitt Romney had it right. He had no problem with preparing a health care system for Massachusetts, but wasn't really wanting to do it on a national level. Shouldn't have to. Let each area seek out its best solution for itself.

I would like to see term limits not only for elected officials but for government employees...those who work in the halls of power, have a lot of influence and are never voted for. I think we could make some good change if everyone was fired and we started over.

Keep in mind that the military is made up of government employees, experienced NCOs and the like are a good thing.

There's nothing wrong with an employed bureaucracy. But Congress and the President should not be a part of it, just as they should not be a part of the military.

There are reasons for checks and balances. There's also reason for some stability in government, which one would not get if we switched out all employees every 4-8 years.

That said, most of the bureaucracy should be on the state and local level, and not the federal level. James Madison said that except in times of war or disaster, the federal government should only comprise about 10% of all government. We see it now as the majority of government, overwhelming and overpowering states and large companies, alike.

I would like to see Presidents and Governors elected to one six year term. No worrying about getting re-elected and doing what needs to be done.

I would also like to see us (US) pull out of the UN. Out of 192 countries the US pays 24% of the administrative costs and 20% of the peacekeeping force. Russia and China pay little but have a vote to stop any action in the Security Council. What a joke. Use those billions of dollars for domestic programs and turn the UN building into high-rise apartments.

I actually believe we need a bigger government than we have. But like ram, I only want this if it is at a local level. I think there needs to be more government even at the municipal level.

I know that many on here have a problem with the ‘welfare state.’ I think we need more people working at the local level identifying people with needs, what those needs are, and working with them to get them on their feet. Municipalities could easily provide work opportunities for those on welfare (landscaping and cleaning parks and public areas, etc) as well as working to help them find work or education opportunities. This works best at a local level where you can have people who know the nuances and intricacies of local resources. The further up the government chain you go, the less efficient welfare becomes as it becomes increasingly dependent on bureaucratic policies that fail to recognize the individual.

Federal government ought to restrict itself to military, inter-state commerce and legal issues, international trade, infrastructure, and focusing on helping individual states improve struggling programs, and perhaps a few other things that aren’t coming to mind right away.