Heavenly Mother

Excerpts from a few notable General Conference talks concerning Heavenly Mother;

Elder John M. Knight, Conference Report, October 1923, Third Day—Morning Session

"In spite of their awful doctrines, they get followers. There are multitudes of poor. deluded folk that want something different. They are easy prey to the schemes of men and devils. The 'Mormons' are skilled deceivers. They use the Bible to teach repentance, faith and baptism, but hold back their awful doctrines. They teach that God once was as we are now, and that we may become what God is now. They teach that we have a heavenly Father and a heavenly Mother."

Elder Vaughn J. Featherstone, A Champion of Youth, Ensign (CR), November 1987

Women are endowed with special traits and attributes that come trailing down through eternity from a divine mother. Young women have special God-given feelings about charity, love, and obedience. Coarseness and vulgarity are contrary to their natures. They have a modifying, softening influence on young men. Young women were not foreordained to do what priesthood holders do. Theirs is a sacred, God-given role, and the traits they received from heavenly mother are equally a...

President Spencer W. Kimball, The True Way of Life and Salvation, Ensign (CR), May 1978

Finally, when we sing that doctrinal hymn and anthem of affection, “O My Father,” we get a sense of the ultimate in maternal modesty, of the restrained, queenly elegance of our Heavenly Mother, and knowing how profoundly our mortal mothers have shaped us here, do we suppose her influence on us as individuals to be less if we live so as to return there?

Elder Neal A. Maxwell, The Women of God, Ensign (CR), May 1978

Finally, remember: When we return to our real home, it will be with the “mutual approbation” of those who reign in the “royal courts on high.” There we will find beauty such as mortal “eye hath not seen”; we will hear sounds of surpassing music which mortal “ear hath not heard.” Could such a regal homecoming be possible without the anticipatory arrangements of a Heavenly Mother?

Ardeth G. Kapp, A Time for Hope, Ensign (CR), November 1986

“They always say something must happen in your life so you want to change. Well, that something has happened. I still have a long way to go. I finally realized that my Father in Heaven is on my side, even though I have betrayed him in a way. I am trying awfully hard to get my life in order and do what is right. I am bound and determined to, no matter how long it takes—but it is so hard. I just wish of all things I could go up and give Heavenly Father and Heavenly Mother...

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First, regarding Margaret Toscano: The Church doesn’t release the details of Church disciplinary councils except in extremely high profile cases. I am not aware of any official statements regarding Sister Toscano’s excommunication (as far as I know, the Church doesn’t release official statements to Sunstone Magazine). In many ways and areas, Sister Toscano is much more knowledgeable than any of us. That’s what happens when you make a career in history. Her excommunication does not disqualify her knowledge, but only her application of her knowledge. Unless we were to have the records that explained why the Church took the action against her that it did, we are unable to determine what the misapplication may have been. For all we know, her excommunication may have been related to involvement in a black market human organ trafficking ring.

Furthermore, reading and studying her work may bring one to valuable resources and insights that could very much enhance one’s faith. If one chooses to proceed to do so, they should do so with a mind and a heart open to new ideas and the Spirit.

Hi Spiritseeker!

I've never heard anybody say it's forbidden to speak about Heavenly Mother, but I have heard people say we're not supposed to pray to Her. Don't know the reason why. I don't buy the "reverence" argument because it implies that God the Father is somehow less holy and deserving of reverence than God the Mother, and that doesn't make sense. I think it's generally accepted that Heavenly Mother exists, but we talk about Her so little that nobody seems to know anything about Her or Her place in our theology. Or maybe it's the other way around, and we don't talk about Her much because we don't know much. ;)

Peace.

HEP

P.S. I've always found it fascinating we sing the final verse of the hymn "O My Father" to both Heavenly Father and Heavenly Mother, even going to the trouble of changing from singular to plural pronouns. If the song of the righteous is a prayer to God, then this would appear to be the only officially-sanctioned LDS prayer to Heavenly Mother (and Father, as a pair). :D

I’ll note your smiley, but remind people that, although they hymns do pass through the Correlation department, they are no more canonized than the seminary and institute manuals. They are merely supplements to the scripture and should not be relied upon as a source of doctrine.

Oh my . . . because the answer's the same and OBVIOUS!!!

We are commanded to worship our F-ther in H-aven. No one else, not even our S-viour to whom we owe everything. Why complicate the stupefying?

personal note: You could not hear, but the air is still heavy in my apartment with the WT- I let loose when I read this post. Of all the completely pointless asides!!!

Plenty of people have answered the OP intelligently, was this necessary?

GRRRR

It must be pointed out that this is simply false. We are indeed commanded to worship the Savior. See, for example, 2 Nephi 25: 16, 29. By LDS doctrine, we actually should worship both Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ.

It is interesting that no level of priesthood authority (bishop and up) is given to a man without a wife. I an sure the wives of bishops, stake presidents, seventies, apostles and prophets all know the great sacrifice and work it is to have such a role. I believe the men are formally set apart, but that the calling is definiltely a joint venture, just just for the husband and wife, but for the entire family. They must all be prepared for the sacrifices and challenges of having the father in such an authoritative position. I think the same is true of Heavenly Father. He cannot carry such authority without the influence of a rightious eternal wife. It certainly brings new meaning to 1 Cor. 11.

It is the Melchizedek Priesthood that is necessary to lead the Church, and that priesthood is not tied to marriage. Married brethren, when considered equal in all other aspects, are preferred to their single counterparts, but that is a matter of principle and policy, not of doctrine nor of necessity. In fact, as a missionary, I served in a district where the branches were small and the Melchizedek Priesthood holders were few. In one of the branches, the branch president refused to follow counsel and policy from the mission president and the handbooks. During one of Elder Packer’s* visits to the area, the mission president extended the question of what to do about a branch president who asserted he could run things as he pleased because, as he said, “you have no other priesthood holders to call.” Elder Packer replied simply, “You release him and call a 10 year old boy in his place.”

*I’d have to check my journal—it may have been Elder Faust who said this, but my memory fails me.

Well, without Heavenly Mother there is no Jehovah...

This is an extrapolation of the “heavenly parents” clause. It follows very nicely if we assume that all procreation in the eternities is identical to procreation as we understand it here. However, I know of no authoritative statements to either confirm or deny that claim. I would be wary of citing this as doctrinal and continue to classify it as speculative.

Of course anything we discuss about Heavenly Mother is speculation or just personal experience because there is no official doctrine in our canon about Her that I am aware of. (Other than the recent Family Proclamation that mentions Heavenly Parents in the plural.)

My own conjecture is that in our traditional family roles of father, mother, son, daughter, we are approximating as near as we can on this earth the way it is in the highest heavens.

Those who have contemplated at length about what they will be actually DOING in their exalted state I think will soon come to the understanding that we will be functioning as PARENTS, creating and raising spirit grandchildren for our own Heavenly Parents. That's probably not for everyone, but personally I could think of no greater joy than being a PERFECT husband and a PERFECT father...

That's how I see it.

And as you yourself stated, that is all conjecture. More people should follow your lead and make it clear that their statements on such matters are their own conjecture. I would recommend not getting too attached to any of the conjectures.

I think about things like that too...

like what's with holy water? Is it something that hasn't been revealed in the latter-days yet? Or, truly an apostate thing? With consecrated oil, holy water doesn't seem that far fetched. It seems Satan has control of the waters right now (is why missionaries can't get in it), so I wonder if when this control is lost if holy water won't be revealed?

Just random thoughts. I'm cursed with them, and they really don't mean anything.

I think it’s much more likely that missionaries aren’t allowed in the water in order to control insurance costs. In the Doctrine and Covenants, the section that states that the destroyer rides upon the waters also chastises the elders who were lounging in the canoe when they could be traveling by foot and preaching the Gospel along the way. Joseph Fielding Smith also related the curse to a natural course in history having to do with technology, land cultivation, etc. (Section 61 - The Lord Has Blessed the Land and Cursed the Waters)

See what I mean by her relative to you.

You somehow equate being knowledgeable and logical with not being excommunicated.

What good is all of the knowledge and logic in the world if ultimately you are separated from God? Is one really knowledgeable or logical if they find themselves outside of fellowship of the Lord's church?

I suspect that having a very narrow and shallow understanding of the Gospel and being obedient will lead to a much more profitable future than being very erudite and disobedient.

Guest missingsomething

So knowledgeable and logical she was excommunicated? All the knowledge and logic avails you nothing if you are ultimately separated from God.

You know... it really depends- people are excommunicated often... if they are working back to the gospel... then I would trust a little in their knowledge... No one is perfect and any one of us could be quietly lead away. Its what you do AFTER you are excommunicated.

If she is not working back to full fellowship, then she is arrogant and lacks the humility that the gospel offers. Not being able to submit to pay the consequences of our actions and work hard to obtain a complete forgiveness shows a great lack of knowledge on someone's part.

Im not speaking, snow, of anyone ONE particular person.... before you attack....

You know... it really depends- people are excommunicated often... if they are working back to the gospel... then I would trust a little in their knowledge... No one is perfect and any one of us could be quietly lead away. Its what you do AFTER you are excommunicated . . .

I know Avraham Gileadi and have met (briefly) D. Michael Quinn, Lavina Fielding Anderson, and Maxine Hanks. There is no doubt that the church was right. Dr. Gileadi is very open about where his error was. The other three are, in my opinion, in active denial. I think there is a problem with discounting their knowledge. I have enjoyed reading Hanks and Anderson (not always agreeing, however). I understand the need to be cautious, but to completely discount their life's work is to encourage ignorance. What is wrong is to declare excommunicated-members are right and the church is wrong and then to go on a campaign on their behalf.

I think the brethren were right and what happened in September 1993 with the September Six and the many other who were aligned with them was a clear declaration regarding LDS scholarship.

I suspect that having a very narrow and shallow understanding of the Gospel and being obedient will lead to a much more profitable future than being very erudite and disobedient.

This, of course, is absolutely correct.

Edited by the Ogre

Guest missingsomething

I know Avraham Gileadi and have met (briefly) D. Michael Quinn, Lavina Fielding Anderson, and Maxine Hanks. There is no doubt that the church was right. Dr. Gileadi is very open about where his error was. The other three are, in my opinion, in active denial. I think there is a problem with discounting their knowledge. I have enjoyed reading Hanks and Anderson (not always agreeing, however). I understand the need to be cautious, but to completely discount their life's work is to encourage ignorance. What is wrong is to declare excommunicated-members are right and the church is wrong and then to go on a campaign on their behalf.

I think the brethren were right and what happened in September 1993 with the September Six and the many other who were aligned with them was a clear declaration regarding LDS scholarship.

This, of course, is absolutely correct.

Ogre, every person here on earth has a lesson to teach us... some of those are to learn from their errors.... and one thing I have learned - dont want to be tempted and open the door for doubt - then avoid it.

Thanks for comments.

Ogre, every person here on earth has a lesson to teach us... some of those are to learn from their errors.... and one thing I have learned - dont want to be tempted and open the door for doubt - then avoid it.

Thanks for comments.

I respect that. A burned hand teaches best.