Where is the USA on this

the Ogre

The following comes from Eve Ensler's CNN.com article: Commentary: War on women in Congo - CNN.com .

Nothing I have heard or seen compares with what is going on in the Democratic Republic of Congo, where corporate greed, fueled by capitalist consumption, and the rape of women have merged into a single nightmare. Femicide, the systematic and planned destruction of the female population, is being used as a tactic of war to clear villages, pillage mines and destroy the fabric of Congolese society.

I recommend the article, but it is graphic. I have to wonder why the US is not more involved in places like The Congo and Darfur.

The inhumanity of these places should put these country's on top of our nation's diplomatic priority list. Bush was active in Africa affairs, but not enough. Obama is going to Egypt, but is focusing more on improving Middle-Eastern affairs. I do not care if these countries have nothing to contribute to the US, it does not mean the abuse to women, children, and men there is forgivable or ignorable. We ought to be doing something more.

I personally think it is a race issue is why the rest of the world does not get involved in civil wars in Africa.

I agree with you. I think race is a big part of it. I think a lot of people feel Africa is unresolvable because Africans typically are poor and not white.

The inhumanity of these places should put these country's on top of our nation's diplomatic priority list. Bush was active in Africa affairs, but not enough. Obama is going to Egypt, but is focusing more on improving Middle-Eastern affairs. I do not care if these countries have nothing to contribute to the US, it does not mean the abuse to women, children, and men there is forgivable or ignorable. We ought to be doing something more.

While I agree we can do more I can't really blame somebody who's number one priority should be America putting some place like the Middle East higher up on the list than Congo as the former has a bigger impact on the safety of our nation than the former and he does have limited time.

That having been said there is a State Department to handle things he can't (for various reasons) handle himself.

Edit: I'm talking about visits, statements from the White House and the like don't take nearly as much time.

Okay, there is a state department, but where are the American People?

Doing their jobs? Which does not entail representing the United States Government in an official capacity and performing diplomatic visits to other countries?

If you mean where is the outrage/concern. The American People are probably unaware. Ask anyone and they can recognize that the Middle East is pear shaped, not nearly as many know the skinny on the Congo let alone that their iPhone may have something to do with it.

I just read a scripture verse in the Doctrine and Covenants the other day. Sorry I can't seem to locate it now, but the Lord was telling the saints, "Ye hear of wars in distant places, but ye know not the hearts of men in your own lands."

Forgive me, but I don't think President Obama really intends to do anything about the situation you're referring to. In case you haven't noticed, he supports the war against unborn children in this country. Do you really think a person who can support such a horrible thing is really going to care what's happening to women in some foreign country? But don't think the Lord hasn't noticed.

This reminds me of that experience talked about in the Book of Alma. Do you recall how Alma and Amulek were compelled to watch while wicked men threw innocent women and children into the fire? Amulek asked Alma why they couldn't put forth their hands and by the power of the priesthood put an end to the unbelievable scene they were having to witness. Alma responded that the Lord was allowing these things to happen so that His judgements would be just against those wicked men at the last day.

There are many things that you and I may not have power in this life to stop from happening. All we can do is do the best we can within the realm of our reach, and pray for those who are in distant lands beyond our influence. I don't expect this to put your heart completely at ease, but please know the Lord is still watching.

PeaceRoseRest

The following comes from Eve Ensler's CNN.com article: Commentary: War on women in Congo - CNN.com .

I recommend the article, but it is graphic. I have to wonder why the US is not more involved in places like The Congo and Darfur.

Being on CNN, how trust worthy is the new reports without any biased added?

Okay, there is a state department, but where are the American People? By not doing anything, it's like a sin of omission--one is still guilty.

I have to disagree...it is up to the Africans to clean up there own backyard. As it should be for the European to do the same and the US should not share the complete burden.

Compassion fatigue.

What the American people are realizing is that war, death, disease, hunger, conflict and strife are the norm in the world and has been from the beginning of mankind. Global sources of information and access to it on demand has created greater awareness of current conditions rather.

We can not possibly interfere in every conflict currently taking place in the world. We have to be pragmatic and exert influence where we believe it will do the most good, benefit the most and we are able to develop prospects for long lasting solutions/peace. Some of these conflicts are ancestral strugles that will never be resolved. Not in this lifetime, anyhow.

The level of insight, thinking and philosophical frame of reference of the people MUST increase as to be able to develop high level analysis and solutions for their problems, such well above the mental stage at which they were created. History is a good teacher. we happen to be very bad students.

We can not possibly interfere in every conflict currently taking place in the world. We have to be pragmatic and exert influence where we believe it will do the most good, benefit the most and we are able to develop prospects for long lasting solutions/peace.

Or, coming back to reality, where it will benefit the country exerting the influence the most in whatever subtle way ;)

Or, coming back to reality, where it will benefit the country exerting the influence the most in whatever subtle way ;)

Well, my friend, it so happens that somebody HAS to be in charge and take the initiative. Government by consensus has never worked.

Beyond that, the inter dependencies in the planet run deep. We are discussing global geopolitics on a forum hosted in the US, on a server with parts made in Taiwan, Malaysia and Singapore, assembled in the US by Mexican workers, with an OS loaded by Indian programmers so that members in 40 countries can share their thoughts in their Chinese assembled computers powered by electricity generated by turbines made in Germany and fueled by oil from the Middle East. Got that?

Yeah, they are not ulterior motives but operating realities that can not be avoided in today's globalized environment.

America cannot- and should not- attempt to fix the world's problems when it has so many of its own. We can't be the police force of the world and we shouldn't be- we have enough of our own problems.

Matthew 7:3-5

" 3 And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother’s eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?

4 Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye?

5 Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother’s eye. "

I daresay that principle applies to nations as well as people. When America is crimeless and its people perfect, then the government will have a clear conscience to go in and clean up the human rights violations in other countries.

Being on CNN, how trust worthy is the new reports without any biased added?

It was an editorial, but the contents (though biased towards feminism) is accurate.

BTW: CNN is not too bad, it's bias just reflects the politics of its owner, editors, sponsors, and readers. I read loads of sites. I was attracted to this piece because I like the writer.

Well, my friend, it so happens that somebody HAS to be in charge and take the initiative . . .

Yeah, they are not ulterior motives but operating realities that can not be avoided in today's globalized environment.

As far as taking charge, I think it has to be the US to do it. We can not depend on the UN, the problems there have happened under their watch (and besides the UN is most likely as corrupt as any government in Africa).

The problems with modern globalization is that Africa's poverty classes have been left out. This is not a solution (there doesn't have to be a prize).

Now that a Republican is not in the White House, we've suddenly remembered that we are not and cannot be the world's policemen. :D

(No offense, Maxel. I realize that a lot of conservatives were opposing war even during the runup to Operation Iraqi Freedom.)

Edited by Just_A_Guy

Now that a Republican is not in the White House, we've suddenly remembered that we are not and cannot be the world's policemen. :D

(No offense, Maxel. I realize that a lot of conservatives were opposing war even during the runup to Operation Iraqi Freedom.)

Well, here are my two cents on this issue.

If you've been to public school, you know that even if you try to hide and avoid EVERYBODY the day will come when you are going to have to fight somebody over your lunch money, snacks or just to be left alone. What happens during that fight determines if you are going to have to fight just that time, everyday or once a year, or maybe never again.

I am glad I am neither a politician not a commanding officer in the US army. We have gone about this conflict in the ME the wrong way. Primarily because we have ignored history, experience and factual intelligence in favor of State Department driven policies and strategy generated by Ivy-League people whose only experience in geopolitics is the foreign film festival week at Baltimore's Grand theater and late nights at the Yale library.

I truly believe that during the last decade the administration tried but failed because of lack of true insight into the geopolitics involved in the conflicts around the world, the politicization of the intelligence organization and the hesitation inside the intelligence community on account of past punishment dispensed by past administrations. We have not executed as it should and thus here we are almost 10 years later. And last, I would quote and paraphrase a hero of mine:

"Now ye [all of you enemies of democracy and freedom] see that this is the true faith of God; yea, ye see that God will support, and keep, and preserve us, so long as we are faithful unto him, and unto our faith, and our religion; and never will the Lord suffer that we shall be destroyed except we should fall into transgression and deny our faith.

And now, [you that lie to the meek and ignorant pretending to speak and stand for the word of God] , I command you, in the name of that all-powerful God, who has strengthened our arms that we have gained power over you, by our faith, by our religion, and by our rites of worship, and by our church, and by the sacred support which we owe to our wives and our children, by that liberty which binds us to our lands and our country; yea, and also by the maintenance of the sacred word of God, to which we owe all our happiness; and by all that is most dear unto us—

Yea, and this is not all; I command you by all the desires which ye [should] have for [the] life [of your children and families], that ye deliver up your weapons of war unto us, and we will seek not your blood, but we will spare your lives, if ye will go your way [and stop trying to use terror, fear and intimidation as a way to subdue the world and those that do not share your distorted ways and means of worship] and come not again to war against us.

And now, if ye do not this, behold, ye are in our hands, and I will command my men that they shall fall upon you, and [and seek after you across the sea, in every land and in the hole of the rocks wherever you may seek to hide] inflict the wounds of death in your bodies, that ye may become extinct [for good and never come to war against us again]; and then we will see who shall [bring freedom and liberty] have [and give] power over [to] this people.

Alma 44

Edited by Islander

I believe it was a great caused in the beginning until two tribes were not willing to die for their own freedom or bother to take up the cause of remaining free after a quite of few civilian homicide bombings. Some of the local tribes are determined to rid of their fanatic brothers and sisters but not at the expense of death. This is a cause were you need to leave if the populist refuses to take up arms.

Now I am speaking for myself but, after awhile you get tired of trying to fix other nations problems. All we seem to get for it is world scorn as if America seems to go in to these hotspots around the world just to show our might ect. Look how our troops are treated, the last time we went to Africa (Somalia) we were treated hostily. Take Iraq now and Afghanistan... Are we treated as liberating hereos? NO we are looked at as infidels ect. And as for the Middle East there will never be peace.... I have family in Israel , I have been there. There will always be antagonizers from BOTH sides ( Israeli and Arab) It's part of the culture... Speaking as one American citizen I am tired of being treated as the enemy by the very nations we try to assist. After awhile you say enough is enough.

I think the USA has picked the conflicts we've been involved in by how many nukes and potential for getting nukes the various regions/nations have. The Congo and Sudan have very little chance of that. Yes what is happening to people in these areas is appalling. You can see the fabric of society literally ripping itself apart. In some ways I think that's worse than genocide, because in a genocide no one has to fix their mind to accept the rape of their mothers/sisters/daughters and child soldiers killing their families and villages as a normal way of life.