Pet Python strangles 2 year old

pam

ksl.com - Officials: Escaped pet python strangled Fla. child

OXFORD, Fla. (AP) - A pet Burmese python measuring more than 8 feet long broke out of a terrarium and strangled a 2-year-old girl in her bedroom Wednesday at a central Florida home, authorities said. Shaiunna Hare was already dead when paramedics arrived at about 10 a.m., Lt. Bobby Caruthers of the Sumter County Sheriff's Office said.

Apparently the owner didn't have a permit for the python.

Idiots, idiots, idiots. Has nothing to do with a permit. Has to do with common sense.

Ben Raines

As an owner of 3 ball pythons, this news story really angers me. This is complete owner neglect. It is bad enough that snakes of all types are culturally vilified. Then we have news stories of irresponsible owners like these contributing to the phobia. My 5 and 7 year olds hold show-and-tells everytime the opportunity arises to highlight the joys of reptile ownership and it takes only 1 news story like this to negate all their work.

This is the reason we have over-reacting laws like HR669 working its way in Washington that is so difficult to fight. How can I convince law makers that my pythons are gentle creatures when you got headlines saying Python Strangles a 2 Year Old?

Not everyone is responsible.

You cannot legislate the work ethic or common sense behind reponsibility.

I can only assume that you understand the "nature of the beast" and have every precaution in place and have trained your family members.

Some animals are like loaded weapons. You need training and certification before being allowed to have one in your home. Pitt bulls come to mind as well.

A normally wild animal left alone will go with the instincts bred in them. This python went with it's instincts. How was it to know that it was a no no to wrap itself around this child? This owner should have put extreme cautions into place when decided to take on the responsibility of ownership.

there is a HUGE difference between ball pythons and burmese pythons. I for one am an avid reptile fan, but i believe that people should not be able to own snakes over 8 foot long. Most people cannot cope with snakes that big and zoos cannot contain all the unwanted pets that irresponsible breeders and pet owners no longer want. I am a member of the herpetological society where i am from and owned a pet store for 5 years. I never even considered selling burmese pythons or anthing i considered a "large" snake. I agree with anatess about the stupidity of one person (or a few people) making it harder for the responsible retile owners everywhere.

Exactly, MsMagnolia. My mother, for instance, refuse to believe there is a difference between snakes - even my little western hognose. She just thinks all of them are venomous constrictors (I know, right) that will strike, coil, and kill people the first chance it gets. So when these stories come out, first thing I get in the email is one of my family forwarding the story to me trying to say, "See, I told you so"... I keep on saying we don't have a burmese python, etc. But, it doesn't seem to sink in. Well, the TV news story that broke in Orlando about this incident showed a ball python pictured in the background that looked almost like our pet! So, it's no surprise that my family can't see the distinction either. By the way, my Avatar is one of our ball pythons...

I have to say, my 2 kids have gone a long way in giving my friends and family a healthy appreciation for snakes. And they started with me! I was snakophobic a few years ago - just like my mother. I see a snake, first thing I do is get a shovel and whack its head off! Now, we have several "resident" snakes in our backyard. Our yard backs up to a lake, so we sometimes find Southern Banded Water Snakes sunbathing by the lake. We also have a family of Racers passing by a lot of times. Before having pet snakes, I would have had gone for the beebee gun when one of them shows up. Now, I just shoo them off to the lake to live a happy life.

Loss of life is definitely sad. :( I agree that some animals are very dangerous and need to be watched. I will say though, that humans are at the top of the list on the dangerous creatures list. Just thinking.

You don't put a young child in the same room as a wild animal?

You don't put ANY person in the same room with a wild animal. Look at the lady who was in the news about 6 months ago that owned the gorilla whose best friend literally got her face and hands ripped off because the animal went nuts on her. Pit bulls are the same way. They can do just as much damage to an adult as they can a child.

So, if you have your mom and a grizzly bear in the same room with you. which one would you fear?

At least with the grizzly I might have some idea what it is thinking. With my mom I have no idea any more.