Sunday activities

havejoy

Guest Alana

Isn't it well accepted that there are some jobs that must be performed on Sundays? Nurses, Doctors, Police, Firefighters, etc? Sunday was a concern of my wife when we joined the church (she's a RN and often works Sunday)- the Bishop was like "no problem..."

Of course! No doubt there. We had a man in a former ward who worked for the Fire Department. He was almost never at church and when he was, he often would leave right after taking the sacrament. Right after he retired he was called as Bishop.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Luckily the real world is continuing on, and water doesn't only flow on Sunday:)

Yes, but crops demand water to live, and if Sunday is the day to water, I'm of the opinion that God will not think any less of a person who uses that day to water his crops. Do you like to drink milk? Guess what, cows have to be milked at least every day, most times twice a day, you can't skip Sunday or you will cause severe problems with the cows. Are you going to condemn a man who decides to milk cows for a living? Or maybe we should just let those are not religious do those kinds of menial tasks?

Guest Alana

Yes, but crops demand water to live, and if Sunday is the day to water, I'm of the opinion that God will not think any less of a person who uses that day to water his crops. Do you like to drink milk? Guess what, cows have to be milked at least every day, most times twice a day, you can't skip Sunday or you will cause severe problems with the cows. Are you going to condemn a man who decides to milk cows for a living? Or maybe we should just let those are not religious do those kinds of menial tasks?

My father has worked on Sunday and it was sanctioned by the Bishop. His job wasn't something that had to be done on Sunday. He wasn't a farmer either;) I'm agreeing with you that there are jobs that MUST be done on Sunday. But the farm alalogy, well, here's an Ensign article that I really like that specifically talks about crops and cows.

LDS.org - Ensign Article - Keeping the Sabbath Day Holy

here is an exerpt from it:

I learned to observe the Sabbath day from my parents. I grew up on a large farm where we had animals to feed and care for, cows to milk, and vegetables to pick, harvest, and market. It would have been very easy for our family to break the Sabbath day. Although we attended to essential chores on Sunday—such as feeding the animals, milking the cows, and taking the water turns when they came—we never did farmwork on Sunday that could be done at other times during the week. Our tractors were turned off, and no plowing, planting, or cultivating were done on the Sabbath. We never hauled in the hay before a coming storm. My parents had a very simple philosophy: “The day we violate the Sabbath day and have to miss our Sunday meetings to care for the farm is the day we sell the farm.”

I'm glad to hear that the cows got milked and feed and watered.

My comment before about 'maybe it's time for a new profession' was not in regard to if I had to lift a finger all Sunday long, that isn't something that should be done. It was more along the lines that before taking a job (or buying a farm) that required work on Sunday, I would inquire of the Lord to make sure it was a good thing for me to do. The answer could be yes or no. For me it would probably be no because of my personality, the Sabbath is very important in making sure I stay on the right path. Leave me up to my own devices on Sunday and well.... yeah.

In the meantime I'm going to enjoy my milk, all the while not worrying a wit about those who do or do not work on Sundays, because their business isn't my business.

Edited by Alana

I prefer not to make lists of "Do's" and "Don't's" for the Sabbath, but rather how we can make it a special day, different than others. For one thing, the idea that it's to be a day of rest is very apt. Because our lives are so fast-paced and busy, I think it's good to slow down on Sundays. Another thing I like to do is go out and spend some time in nature. Rather than merely passing through nature on the way to a destination, enjoy nature itself--it is God's handiwork. I like to read poetry on Sundays--some of my best religious experiences involve poetry. :)

Peace,

HEP