Could YOU Live Polygamy During Your Lifetime?

Carl62

Could YOU live the principle of polygamy if commanded?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Could YOU live the principle of polygamy if commanded?

• yes
    • no

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I voted NO.

Having read and studied various accounts of Mormon polygamy over the years, there is no way I could ever feel right about this principle. And it has nothing to do with feeling jealous or insecure about sharing my husband with another woman, or three or more. My views are based on the reality of polygamy for women in the early church. The women who practiced it were generally miserable, if not, then most certainly resigned to their lot in life as they believed this was what god wanted from them even if it wasn't what they wanted for themselves. Reading about 14 year old Helen Mar Kimball and Joseph Smith did my head in to the point where I almost left the church. That her parents (Heber and Vilate) actually encouraged this to happen in the hopes of a dynastic sealing with the propphet also curdles my blood. The issue of whether sex took place in this marriage is up for debate but Helen's diary leads me to believe that it was a strong possibility. I had to put that particular incident into the 'in the next life I'll understand the truth of what happened' basket. Knowing how much Emma hated the idea of polygamy and how Joseph practiced it without her knowledge with teenage girls who lived in their household was also a gut churner for me. Those girls were then cast aside from him with no more than a handshake when Emma discovered what was going on and kicked them both out of the house. There's more, but those were the two biggest polygamy bug-bears I had to deal with, both of which convinced me that polygamy simply cannot work in this life at least.

Sorry, but that's my honest thoughts about the practice of polygamy in the church. I don't think it would be any better nowadays if the principle were re-introduced because men and women are fallible and subject to lustful desires no matter how 'holy' they might think their intentions are.

The only thing that kept me going in the church during the times when this became a huge issue for me, was my testimony of Joseph Smith as a prophet of god. However, just because I believe he was a prophet, does not mean that I believe he didn't make mistakes or was not subject to human desires. My feeling is that Joseph reconciled and validated his desires for other women (which would have been disturbing in nineteenth century Victorian morality) by turning to ancient scriptural examples of plural marriage.

And yes, for anyone who thinks I might be be misinformed, I have read Compton, Van-Wagoner, the very scary Krakauer, and many primary sources and journals of women in the early church along with plenty of FAIR articles.

So, back to the question...ummm, NO, I wouldn't practice polygamy. And any old fart (or young one for that matter) who came asking for my teenage daughter's hand in marriage because 'god revealed it' would be sent packing with the pointy end of my boot firmly planted in his rear-end.

I would only do it if I was specifically commanded by the prophet, prayed about it, and received personal reveltation. But, I'd be completely miserable and would be depressed for a long, long time. The idea makes me sick to my stomach.

Also, even if it was brought back in this life, I can't imagine it being widespread - because if it was, it would come to a point where there wouldn't be enough women to go around, and young men wouldn't have the opportunity to be sealed.

Edited by annamaureen

I vote yes. But I'm 50 and life takes a different perspective for me and my wife. When I was young my vote was no and my wife really had a problem with this doctrine. Now however she votes yes as well. It's a weird thing what time and life does to one.

Doesn't that say something about what she thinks of you now? :lol: meh, just kidding I have no idea what it's like...