Caring for Elderly Parent

Gargantuan

Caring for an Elderly Parent

I am currently caring for my dear mother (84) who sometimes has a difficult time understanding my concern for her health. She feels that I am overly concerned. When she tells me to back off, I will unless she has something that needs immediate attention. I'm learning I must take care of my health as well or it becomes harder for me to care for her. It is hard not to sacrifice my health for her happiness. She has given her life for her family and she deserves happiness in return.

I took care of my MIL when she was dying from Cancer......... She was in pain and miserable..... I gave her what she wanted to eat ... good nutrition would not change her path by this point

white chocolate... she would eat very little but craved sweets....... I made her last days peaceful and her way.

Oy. Primary caregivers have it rough. Yes, absolutely, always remember to take care of yourself first. You have to have health and energy, in order to care for someone else. You burning out doesn't help anyone.

I think this is one of those "endure to the end" things that you don't have to be in your 80's to experience.

LM