Why do children take the sacrement

MissKitty

While it's clear that the purpose of the Sacrament is to renew baptismal covenants, I'd be interested in knowing what body of knowledge justifies denying our children the Sacrament. In addition to this, I'd be curious to know the body of knowledge that justifies denying our children the Sacrament when we don't deny complete strangers the Sacrament.

Let each person examine themselves before taking the sacrament.

I mean, I can disagree with the quotes given, and we can still get along.

but WHO are you disagreeing with? it ain't billy bob that sits in the back pew....

and as long as you don't get in other peoples faces that do let their kids take it...its your own thing..but as soon as you "kindly share" your opinion with someone...that is where you are dead wrong...even if you would happen to be right....

but "overly concerned freinds" like that is what offends people and led to half the anti-mormon websites out there

but WHO are you disagreeing with? it ain't billy bob that sits in the back pew....

and as long as you don't get in other peoples faces that do let their kids take it...its your own thing..but as soon as you "kindly share" your opinion with someone...that is where you are dead wrong...even if you would happen to be right....

but "overly concerned freinds" like that is what offends people and led to half the anti-mormon websites out there

So, sharing on a forum is equal to offending someone? What about talking about it among friends?

I agree that if someone comes up to me and without me asking begins to tell me that I'm raising my kids wrong...yea, that would tork me. But I've had discussions with friends and we talk about our personal beliefs. Some I've adopted, others I've dismissed. Doesn't offend me if we talk in generalities...it's when the fingers point and accusations fly that I get heated.

So, sharing on a forum is equal to offending someone? What about talking about it among friends?

I agree that if someone comes up to me and without me asking begins to tell me that I'm raising my kids wrong...yea, that would tork me. But I've had discussions with friends and we talk about our personal beliefs. Some I've adopted, others I've dismissed. Doesn't offend me if we talk in generalities...it's when the fingers point and accusations fly that I get heated.

i was just refering to what i have seen far to many times in the church..someone that thinks they know better than you will get in your face and let you konw about it.... i'm not one to get offended..but i know a few people that are inactive because of that very thing. all y'all that know me konw how i'd react if someone told me i was raising my kids wrong...would't be the first time i cold cocked someone in the chapel...(i was 11...lol) but stuff like that brings out the cowboy in me.....

im just saying that some people are all to willing to share thier opiinion as gospel.... and alot of peopel get offended to easily..and some of us get "redneck" too easily...

im just saying that some people are all to willing to share thier opiinion as gospel.... and alot of peopel get offended to easily..and some of us get "redneck" too easily...

:rofl:

I agree with you. I just think that people can approach others to instruct and teach, but it has to be done with tact, kindness, and most of all inspired by the Spirit. I will say that most of the time (ok, almost all of the time) when it happens it is not inspired by the Spirit.

I've had people say stuff to me. I really could care less. I was even chastised by my bishop once. He, I took seriously. But with him and others, I judge myself by the Spirit as best I can. If the Lord tells me to change, then I will. Sometimes that change might be started by someone else, but I always go to the Lord to confirm if I need to change.

Reference?

1 corinthians 23:29 Taken from LDS .org 1 Corinthians 11

23 For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you, That the Lord Jesus the same night in which he was betrayed took abread:

24 And when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in aremembrance of me.

25 After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me.

26 For as often as ye eat this abread, and drink this cup, ye do bshew the Lord’s cdeath till he come.

27 Wherefore whosoever shall eat this abread, and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord.

28 But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup.

29 For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh bdamnation to himself, not discerning the Lord’s body.

Edited by soulman200973
The cut and paste had extra charectures

Bruce R. McConkie, A New Witness for the Articles of Faith, p.298

If a nonmember with no ill intent partakes of the sacrament, it is in his case as though he had simply eaten bread and drunk wine or water. He will be judged according to the intent of his heart.

Let those two year olds be judged!

Hey, what about those groups of people mentioned in the Beatitudes? Could they take the Communion Sacrament?

1 corinthians 23:29 Taken from LDS .org 1 Corinthians 11

23 For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you, That the Lord Jesus the same night in which he was betrayed took abread:

24 And when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in aremembrance of me.

25 After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me.

26 For as often as ye eat this abread, and drink this cup, ye do bshew the Lord’s cdeath till he come.

27 Wherefore whosoever shall eat this abread, and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord.

28 But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup.

29 For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh bdamnation to himself, not discerning the Lord’s body.

For starters, it seems kind of odd to me, and rather forced, to isolate verse 28 from verses 27 and 29. It seems that it is a matter of one determining if he is worthy of taking the Sacrament or not. And at this point I refer you to Loudmouth's post in which he cites Joseph Fielding Smith and Spencer W. Kimball in saying that children are most certainly worthy.