Blessing Children in F&T Meeting

SueMazza

My husband is getting the Melchizedek PH this week, and I would like him to bless our five year-old in F&T meeting. So, what is the oldest child you've seen blessed in a regular meeting in church? My Branch President is leaning towards not having her blessed in an open meeting and I'm wondering why (he says "because she's a little older"). What is the cut-off age? Is there anything "official" on this topic? Anyone have an opinion?

Thanks to all!

I've never seen the blessing of a child (other than a baby) done in a sacrament meeting- and baby blessings don't always happen at Fast and Testimony meetings (as far as my experience goes).

I agree with your Church leaders- I feel it's somewhat inappropriate to have older children blessed in meetings. Not because it's bad, but because it will take from the time ordained for the blessing and passing of the Sacrament, singing of the hymns, and other official sacrament business. I'm not sure where a good doctrinal source to go to would be for this- but I think I've read something about giving baby blessings in the scriptures before.

I think it's general Church policy not to give fathers blessings in sacrament meetings.

Do you know what kind of blessing you want your husband to give?

I assume she is referring to a name and a blessing, the guidelines for which are:

“Every member of the church of Christ having children is to bring them unto the elders before the church, who are to lay their hands upon them in the name of Jesus Christ, and bless them in his name” (D&C 20:70). In conformity with this revelation, only worthy men who hold the Melchizedek Priesthood may participate in naming and blessing children. The ordinance of naming and blessing children requires authorization from the presiding authority.

When blessing a baby, men who hold the Melchizedek Priesthood gather in a circle and hold the baby in their hands. When blessing an older child, brethren place their hands lightly on the child’s head.

I think the only cut off of a child is like 7, because once they are baptized they don't "need" the naming and blessing. The oldest I think I saw was like 2 or 3 year old.

I don't see anything wrong with it. I think the only thing that could be different is the rest of the children, might more wonder what is going on. I'm not sure if children at that age really understand it. But I don't think that should be any reason to not do it.

There are many things left up to the discretion of local leaders. When my oldest daughter asked the Bishop at age 13 if she could get her Patriarchal Blessing, he instructed her to wait until she was 14. It was his preference.

My son is now 13, and not as mature or "ready" for his Patriarchal Blessing than his older sister was at 13 (in dad's opinion). But, we have a new Bishop, and he agreed. So, he received his Blessing a few weeks ago.

I know it might be different than what parents think should happen, but your best option is to follow the counsel of your leaders, unless you know it is wrong. I don't think it's wrong to give or not give a 5 year old a blessing, just a preference. However, if you feel that strongly, ask him more than once, he should get the message. :)

Also, Bishops often refer to the Stake President for such matters, in training or direct communication. It might be counsel he's received from his "boss."

Our first child was born before we were members and did not need it. Our second when it got near time for baptism at 8 I inquired and was told that she HAD to be blessed before she could be baptized because she was born into the church. He wanted to do it in Sacrament but I pushed and got a private one as she was shy and would be intimidated as usually only little children are done. When it came time for our third and last child I again went to the new bishop and brought it up and was told it was not necessary to have done as he would soon be baptized. Unless we really wanted it done, then he was willing.

Different Bishops can read different things into the same rules. And being human we can misremember what we think policy is. If a leader gives you advice or direction with policy of the church and you feel you have issue with it there is nothing wrong with asking that they show you the instruction so you can understand it. This gives them a chance to review what is actually written.

I just was asked to produce evidence of my stance with emergency call out procedures and that our Ward was not following the directives of the church and stake. The Bishop had already agreed with me on it but wanted evidence to help others understand. Five minutes of effort I had it and everyone got on board the next meeting.

Don't fear to ask, as we were taught last night in a teachers seminar at the chapel. A former Bishop of our instructor would tell members when they "quoted" doctrine or leaders in talks but did not have the source they had 5 days to produce it or a retraction would be announced. I imagine that cut down on gospel according to ..........

I agree with your Church leaders- I feel it's somewhat inappropriate to have older children blessed in meetings. Not because it's bad, but because it will take from the time ordained for the blessing and passing of the Sacrament, singing of the hymns, and other official sacrament business. I'm not sure where a good doctrinal source to go to would be for this- but I think I've read something about giving baby blessings in the scriptures before.

How would that be inappropriate?

So then we should not have babies blessed in meetings..

We should not have converts who were baptised recive the Holy Ghost in meetings?

Every child is entitled to that blessing.. Older or not

If a baby blessing is somehow significant enough to have a meeting for an infant, it should be significant enough for a five year old. Whatever the reason behind such blessings, should apply to an infant and a five year old.

What is the reason anyway?

The oldest child in a blessing I have seen is a three year old.

When my then four year old was blessed a few months ago we were given the options of at home, in the bishops office or sacrament. I think watching a non-infant child being blessed during sacrament because their father just receive the Melchizedek priesthood would be really sweet. No matter where it's at, what matters is that it's getting done. I once saw a couple getting married in the foyer, and it was awesome.

Local leader's discretion. That simple. There is no hard and fast rule. But what is the reason for doing it in Sacrament meeting anyway? The blessing is the blessing, no matter where it occurs. I know that people do this in Sacrament for a new baby, and I think there is some tradition (gasp) and perhaps some recognition of a new spirit in the ward, but the blessing would be of the same effect if done at home, and in fact would be more intimate and meaningful, IMO.

But that is my opinion, FWIW...