Buying a diamond ring... looking for advice

thews

I found an estate ring online (1920s style art deco (like this, but with 5 diamonds, and hearts engraved along the outside) and bought it. The diamonds weren't very good, so I found a jeweler who swapped them out for higher grade gems. Total cost was about $1300 for a unique and awesome ring.

Just a thought :) I really like art-deco rings... so much more character and style than current plain gold/platinum diamond bands.

That's a beautiful ring.

I pulled the trigger today and wound up with a 3/4 carat SI H stone in the center. This is a big deal for me... getting married later in life is a lot harder than when I first got married at 19. What I found to be best was go to a small town store where money is tighter, and not a place where money flows. Thanks for all the advice ...it really helped.

kneedrop Wed night ...but she already said yes:).

Buy a used ring have it cleaned and polished. Just as nice and you are not asking someone in the West Africa's civil wars exclusively funded by the trade in blood diamonds Just to give another part of their lives to fit on your loved ones finger.

Think about it, mine is used it held no bad luck.

if that's not good enough buy a Canadian diamond their called polar diamonds

Buy a used ring have it cleaned and polished. Just as nice and you are not asking someone in the West Africa's civil wars exclusively funded by the trade in blood diamonds Just to give another part of their lives to fit on your loved ones finger.

Think about it, mine is used it held no bad luck.

if that's not good enough buy a Canadian diamond their called polar diamonds

Who do you think works in the local stores that sell this stuff? Ma and Pa shops need to sell inventory to survive. This save the planet at the expense of sending the money to Canada is something I don't understand. A local store got a comission today. Someone's life is easier this month in America; her name is Caron and she's a nice person.

When I was engaged, I honestly didn't care about diamond size. It was more about the overall appearance of the ring - I had a particular look in mind. My diamond is .33 carats and slightly-below-average quality, but I love it - my husband could easily afford more, but I wouldn't change it. A huge fancy rock isn't important to me.

personally I have no desire for a diamond. I am sold on the whole "blood-diamond" concept so I guess my boyfriend should we get engaged is gonna luck out ;) I'm also not a big fan of the culture that supports diamond rings for engagements...i can't tell you how many times I see a girl tell everyone she is engaged and one of the first comments back is "lets see the rock!"....sigh, I suppose I just want to skip all that nonesense and not sum up his love with something like that. Lucky him!

personally I have no desire for a diamond. I am sold on the whole "blood-diamond" concept so I guess my boyfriend should we get engaged is gonna luck out ;) I'm also not a big fan of the culture that supports diamond rings for engagements...i can't tell you how many times I see a girl tell everyone she is engaged and one of the first comments back is "lets see the rock!"....sigh, I suppose I just want to skip all that nonesense and not sum up his love with something like that. Lucky him!

Heis a lucky man, and you seem to be a very good woman..., but C'mon, don't you want a rock? Seriously... you have to wear that ring every day forever?

well, im a nurse, so i wouldn't even be allowed to wear it every day because it would slice open my gloves and expose me to aids or something. So that is just another reason not to have one...i wouldn't get to wear my engagement ring everyday. as long as its not yellow gold, i am sure i'll love it.

well, im a nurse, so i wouldn't even be allowed to wear it every day because it would slice open my gloves and expose me to aids or something. So that is just another reason not to have one...i wouldn't get to wear my engagement ring everyday. as long as its not yellow gold, i am sure i'll love it.

Indeed, with my job I wouldn't get to wear a diamond ring much either. My fiance did get a ring for me, a pretty ruby with a setting that looks like a shooting star. Pretty and I don't have the pressure of keeping track of a tiny couple thousand dollar ornamentation :rolleyes:

Edit: He says it's suppose to look like cherry blossoms.

He is a lucky man.

Indeed, with my job I wouldn't get to wear a diamond ring much either. My fiance did get a ring for me, a pretty ruby with a setting that looks like a shooting star. Pretty and I don't have the pressure of keeping track of a tiny couple thousand dollar ornamentation :rolleyes:

Edit: He says it's suppose to look like cherry blossoms.

Another lucky man. I love rubys.

My best friend is Navajo and they could careless about diamonds. She is getting married in January and her engagement ring has a turquoise centre piece with pave` around the band. It's gorgeous! I've never seen anything quite like it. In addition, I think most westerners favour "diamonds" but other cultures find different stones/gems more precious and valuable :]

The actual engagement ring was a $3 ring he bought at the flea market. It's a storm trooper helmet. I don't wear it because it's giant and leaves a green ring on my finger. How could I not say yes?

Heis a lucky man, and you seem to be a very good woman..., but C'mon, don't you want a rock? Seriously... you have to wear that ring every day forever?

Seriously, not all women "get" the rock thing. I don't get it. What is nice about it? It doesn't add to my beauty, it doesn't add to my spirituality, it doesn't improve my health... My husband got me diamond earings and I couldn't tell you where it is right now - it's buried with my other "trinkets". When I dress up I put trinkets on, I put the colorful earings/necklace/bracelet that matches my dress. They're beautiful! Most of them cost under 15 bucks and they get more wear than the diamond. My husband never bought me rocks again.

Okay, so I have a weakness for "brand names" like my Luis Vuitton bag and Michael Kors shoes. They cost a lot of money. So, my husband is not lucky. But man, I love them because they are made of very good quality - my LV bag has been my one and only bag for the last 6 years. Shoes is a comfort-purchase... you know like when you're feeling depressed because you've gotten so fat, and you want to treat yourself to something, you buy shoes - because it doesn't matter if you gain 50 pounds, your shoes will always fit. And yes, you can't leave the house without shoes and a bag, whereas, you can spend an entire lifetime without a rock.

• 10 months later...