HealthCare Reform in the Polls

Elphaba

Sixty-Five Views of HealthCare Reform; One Big Trend

From the website:

The trend in opinion on health care reform has been a bit tricky of late. After a long and substantial rise of opposition, and an equally long but less sizable decline in support, we came to August, the month for the strange in politics. This year was stranger than most with loud and angry town halls, fearful politicians reluctant to meet constituents, cable news of gun toting demonstrators, an extended presidential vacation and the death of an icon. And what did all the rancor produce? Apparently, the sound and fury signified, surprisingly, a flattening of the trends in opinion. Opposition slowed its rise (not accelerated), and support halted its fall and by the second week of August, began a modest rise. And that before the president spoke to the joint session of Congress.

The same basic story is apparent. Opposition has grown but is now slowed to a near halt. Support reversed its decline sometime in August and has begun an upturn.

And my big point is that this is essentially the picture you see in all these different trend estimates. The details are slightly different. A bump here and a drop there, and the precise estimates of support and opposition differ by as much as 2 points up or down. But the big picture is that opposition ramped up significantly through June or July but has recently slowed or stopped. Support fell less precipitously but has been working back up for a month (despite or perhaps because of the circus coverage in August.) We could pick a chart to fight over the details, but we shouldn't. It is the big picture of public opinion that is important here. Within a couple of points, opinion is evenly divided. The White House has gained a bit of momentum, but will be challenged to lower the opposition numbers, not just raise the support numbers.

Posted Image

And, Aha! the speech changed everything and the trend is now declining opposition and rising support! Well, maybe. But this rests on being sensitive enough to pick up the speech effect, but not so sensitive as to turn down based on those very latest polls.

Posted Image

Sorry these are so big. There are a number of versions of this poll at the web site. It was very interesting to see the different ways they interpret them. Apparently polls can be very noisy. :P

Elphaba

Add your name to the group of 50125 people who have already signed using the Internet!

Congress: REJECT Government-Run Health Care

https://www.aclj.org/Petition/Default.aspx?sc=3480&ac=1

The push by President Obama and Congress to revamp our national health care system is intensifying. While health care legislation remains more confusing than ever, there’s one thing that’s crystal clear: It’s time to say NO to any government-run health care plan and NO to mandatory coverage for abortions. Please read the form below carefully and declare your membership with the ACLJ by adding your name to our Petition Opposing Government-Run Health Care.

PETITION OPPOSING GOVERNMENT-RUN HEALTH CARE

I am deeply concerned by proposed government-run health care reform legislation and am voicing my opposition to it.

I cannot, and will not, support government-run health care; nor will I support health care reform that mandates or subsidizes abortion in any way. As my elected official, I urge you to use the full influence of your office to firmly reject all five government-run health care bills currently being discussed and to boldly stand for life — alongside the majority of America’s citizens — by saying NO to mandatory coverage for abortions.

Am I crazy to expect my congressmen to actually read a bill before they vote on it? I know these bills are long, but because of all the crap that can be attached to them, I want to know that my congressmen are actually looking at it and opposing the issues that shouldn't be in a bill.

One of my friends in the legislature stated that they received stacks of bills on their desk, and that it was virtually impossible to read all of them.

When I subscribed to the legislative digest, I was amazed at the number of bills being introduced. After ordering the ones I was interested in reading, I found that it just took too much of my time to get through them. Some are worded so that only an attorney can understand the legal ramifications.