Survivor

Dr T

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, another very interesting Survivor episode! I thought it was so classic Russell to find the newly hidden immunity idol, and I could not believe that while everyone else was off on the reward the people who were left at camp didn't even try to look for it. And at this point it looks like finally Russell has not told anyone else about it. Not as if people don't suspect that he has it. When Laura did not win the immunity idol again I knew she was probably the one to go, however the was still the deal on how to break the tie. And who would have thought that Galu would do it to themselves? John was so right when he said that Galu really don't have good reasoning skills, what is more stupid than to come up with an idea to "pretend" to vote someone from your team off without running it past them first? True John was told about it later, but by that point he was feeling like they had turned on him and he didn't want to be in the cross hairs, no surprise there. I had a feeling that he would flip on the second vote, his tribe basically turned on him so he turned on them. Next week will be very interesting because at this point we are nearing an even split between Galu and Foa Foa, it is so very ironic that since the tribe merged the only people who have been voted off have been Galu, especially when the plan was to vote off all the Foa Foa from the beginning.

I agree with everything you said Annamaureen. It was GREAT that Russell found the idol again. I really like Nick too. Shambo really does not like Laura at all! She was mean and laughed at her through in the challenge. I do not think that was called for and she better watch it imo. Tonight's show was really fun to watch. :) Russell is playing!

Wow. Fellow Survivor fans.

I only saw the last 15 minutes, but like many of you have indicated, the looks on the faces of Galou was awesome. There sure has been a swing of fortunes here. Jeff at one point in the season had called Foa Foa one of the worst tribes in the game since they had lost so many challenges. Yet, it looks like they may be in the driver's seat at this point. I mean, which is worse, losing so many challenges or having your team voted off by the minority tribe that lost so many challenges.

All of this has made this season one of the more entertaining seasons in a while. At least, for me it is.

:)

I agree, it was brilliant that Russell found it a THIRD time, it really is as if none of the other members even try looking until he does. I mean did you see what he did the morning after they voted off Kelly, you can tell he woke up early and began looking right away. And yet the rest didn't even start to look until after getting back from the reward challenge.

I also agree with being glad that Laura is gone, she really was not an enjoyable part of the tribe. Besides, by gunning for Russell I found that Laura was a big hurdle in his way. Russell is beginning to step things up. From the preview of next week it looks like Russell will be working on making things miserable for the others again, it will be interesting to see how the Galu people handle it. They are not used to the bad luck that Foa Foa had.

I think Shambos future will be interesting to see, she will either be voted off soon because she is not really as helpful to the group, or she will be kept around because she is easily influenced.

Ranman I agree, but I think before Foa Foa did so badly because Russell was playing only for himself and not for his tribe, when the tribe merged he saw that he had to play hard for Foa Foa otherwise he would be voted off right away. Because of his actions and the total devotion of the Foa Foa to him he has been able to save the rest of the Foa Foa tribe. Now that things are a little more equal he can begin to play more for himself again. It is ironic though that Foa Foa the losing tribe is now getting rid of the Galu people one by one.

Very fun to watch, keeps me anxiously waiting to see what happens next.

it really is as if none of the other members even try looking until he does. I mean did you see what he did the morning after they voted off Kelly, you can tell he woke up early and began looking right away.

Judging from last week's preview, I thought this episode was going to have everyone running around like chickens with their heads cut off looking for the idol! Instead, they all lazed around in their hammocks until Russell started searching. They should've been smart and started looking for it immediately, even without the clue.

Shambo really does not like Laura at all! She was mean and laughed at her through in the challenge. I do not think that was called for and she better watch it imo.

I agree. In this game, if you're obvious and obnoxious like that it's going to have consequences.

Good call, I agree-the other guys needed to use their heads and start looking for the idol RIGHT AWAY but didn't. Russell is playing and using his head better than everybody it seems and has been from the very beginning. I didn't like how he was making it harder for his tribe and still don't but it's working out for him (so far).

• 3 weeks later...

It took me awhile to actually watch the last two survivors what with Thanksgiving and everything. Last week's survivor was basically a recap that gave some interesting insights. This week's was much more interesting. The auction was interesting to watch, and it gave Jaison the ability to win the immunity idol during the next challenge. I thought it was very interesting to see how the voting went.

Shambo seems to be so confident in herself, but she votes mainly based on emotion, she doesn't think through why she should be voting one way or another she just gets angry and makes her vote choice based on that. The fact that she decided to go after Dave was expected after the chicken thing. I think that what Jaison said about her is true, she is probably going to be upset with Foa Foa because they basically didn't tell her what was going on. But if she does anything she will be putting her head on the chopping block too. And at this point I think there would be a lot of people who would be willing to get rid of her. Of the old Galu people only Dave, Monica, Brett, and Shambo are left, and all of them except maybe Brett have had Shambo after them at one point.

On the other hand, watching the previews showed us Mick talking about Russell, describing him as a snake and saying that he will eventually bite. This is true, but I think it is dangerous for them to go after Russell, I would not be surprised to find him going after the one who brings up taking him out and using the immunity idol to get rid of that person. I am excited to see where it all will go.

It took me some time to watch also for similar reasons. Yes, I found the recap to be much better this time than previous years. It was interesting to me how Jaison talked about his father and how he felt he let him down with his complaining but still appreciate his struggle. I also watched all of the Ponderosa stuff. I've never watched those and thought they were pretty interesting too.

Last week's show, I'm with you Tarnished. Based on what you said, I think we think alike. Sham does seem to be way on the emotional reasoning side of things. They really need to consider how their move would do the same thing her tribe did to her too. I do want to say that burger looked awesome! Yes, this is fun. I can't wait to see what happens next!

Comments on last night show (12-10-09). The first thing I want to say is not the most important thing at all but I've been thinking about again and again. It's Jaison's yellow shirt that is now BROWN! That is SO gross to me. Yellow to brown. Ok, Two people voted out. I thought Russell did well with his play and getting Dave voted out. He seemed pretty nice I guess but Russell was playing. 2nd person, Monica was just annoying to me. She really messed up being SO cocky IMO. She was proud to stir the pot but in the end it was hear that was voted out. I think she did a great job with making Russell scramble and making him sweat. I don't know if showing everybody was the best idea but it grew on me a little. Finally, and most importantly, I knew Russell messed up BIG when he told people how much money he made last year and I think I'm right about that. I guess it will depend on who he's up against but still, it can really damage his chances if he makes it to the final two. I personally think his time is limited but we'll have to wait and see. The season is getting to the end so it will be really fun to watch and see what happens. Oh yeah, again Sham just seems like she's nice and caring and goes with her emotional reasoning too much. Russell is playing well. I know I said that before (after I switched but he really is I think).

I think that Russell may have made a mistake playing the hidden idol the way he did. If I was there I would be thinking that he was a threat that needed to go as soon as possible. His allies are now worried they are on the chopping block and his attitude at tribal council sure reinforced it.

I think that Russell almost had to play the immunity idol that way. Between Jaison and Mick wandering around cutting him down and Monica with her attempt to scramble everything he had to be feeling threatened. He had to be feeling like he needed to put the immunity idol into play. I think the way he did it was very smart. He broke it out at the beginning of the counsel and let everyone look at it during counsel, everyone probably thought that he would play it. So if Russell is out of the vote and Brett is out of the vote then go back to the plan and vote for Monica. Then when the vote was counted Russell took a risk by not using the idol, and everyone sent home Monica instead.

Notice that Monica and Brett both voted for Russell, I see that as meaning that some sort of discussion had gone on with Russell being the one that people agreed to vote for. I think Russell using the idol the way he did kept the votes from going more heavily his way.

I did find it interesting that Russell did not vote for Shambo like he told Dave he would, I don't find it surprising, but rather interesting. Currently the jury is made up of only Galu, Russell will want to get rid of the remaining Galu soon. The problem is now his own tribe is gunning to take him out, so he will have to use more cunning to make it the next few weeks. I think the next few people on the chopping block are going to be Brett, Shambo and Mick. I think Russell will be on the chopping block as well, but I would not be surprised to see him fight his way into staying.

Who would I like to see win? Russell, which is ironic considering the way I felt about him at the beginning of the game. I want to see him win not because he needs the money or even because I think he is a good guy. I want to see him win because I think out of everyone else in the game he has been playing from day one. Also I want to see him win because he keeps things interesting.

Regarding Russell and mistakes he made, I think the way he reacted to Monica's scramble where he went around camp and got angry at the people on his team was a huge mistake and I think it was this mistake that caused the immunity idol to be nessisary for tribal counsel.

I am looking forward to seeing who ends up going next week.

I thought it was interesting how Monica was going on about how "over confident" Russell was and how he needs to be "humble," then sits there all smug and cocky, pouting and preening and bragging.

To be honest, I thought Russell was done; I seriously thought he was going home. I thought it was bizarre how he played the idol but it obviously worked in his favor!

I want Russell to win. I didn't like him at the beginning of the game but he's really grown on me. As Dave said, he was born to play this game! He's been brilliant and really deserves it. Maybe not financially, but as far as being the best player, there's no question.

Yes, I'm with the both of you ladies. I'd say I want Russell to win now but I don't think he'll be able to pull it off. So I'll move on to either Mick or Jaison as my vote to win. Between the two of them it's hard to choose. They both seem kind. I can't decide between the two of them. Best player=Russell for sure in my book. I guess I'd say, maybe I'll choose Mick to win it all.

I thought it was interesting how Monica was going on about how "over confident" Russell was and how he needs to be "humble," then sits there all smug and cocky, pouting and preening and bragging.

I completely agree, she was being so hypocritical during that whole thing. I found it humorous how even at the end she said as her exit speech that she was glad that she stirred things up on her way out. However the whole production of her acting that way did cause Russell to let loose a few comments he shouldn't have said. Maybe she did just what she intended.

• 2 weeks later...

I watched the last episode last night. What did I think of tonight's show? Really I thought since Jaison was gunning for her right after the challenge then I think Russell had to go with that decision. I thought Russell was close to winning that challenge but at the end it didn't really seem like he actually was. Poor Sham :( She seems like a really nice woman, bad hair, but nice nonetheless. :) She was not well received at Ponderosa, that was interesting to me. They hold grudges there with her for sure. I see the closeness between Bett and Nat from the religious perspective but chosing him on her team first, didn't really seem too wise to me. Maybe she felt out the outside somewhat and really close to him before we saw that during this episode. That rope/coconut challenge seemed pretty and it was just like playing Kerplunk where more fall toward the end of the game. Russell's no dropped Coconuts though was really good for him. They just better get rid of Brett ASAP I think. I can't wait to see how it ends. I'm really having fun watching this season. We'll see how it goes. :)

SPOILER ALERT! Don't scroll down if you haven't seen the finale!

I was disappointed that Natalie won. I really don't feel like she deserved it - she did poorly in most of the challenges, took little initiative, and rode Russell's coattails all the way to the top. She was happy to let Russell do the dirty work and let him take the blame. She said that was actually her "strategy," but I have a hard time believing it since she never mentioned it until she had to convince the jury. Sounds like she just trying to make herself seem deserving of the win. I think the jury only voted for her because she was "nice," and they were still bitter about being ousted by Russ.

I'm glad Russell won the Player of the Season, though. And I'm really looking forward to Heroes vs Villains; what an awesome idea for the next season!

Edited by annamaureen

I really think it all came down to Russell's pompous and arrogant attitude that did him in. Yes, I agree that he was the mastermind behind much of the decision making process, or at least he helped influence a lot of the decisions but in the end, I think he shot himself in the foot by not considering more of the social aspects of his play. His speech about "how I had this person voted off, then that person, etc." did not help him. Perhaps if he played more to their personal values and how he had to work hard to keep himself in the game by aligning in various ways to show that it was not a "look how much better I am than you" type thing might have made the pill a little bit easier to swallow. I guess what I'm saying is he needed to show more humility and not arrogance. The two, Nick and Nat, were just nice people that didn't come across like Russell did. Nat.'s Christianity may have won her the whole thing? :)

As for the next season, I think it can be fun. I will def. watch when it's on and it will start at the beginning of Feb. That is fast! I worry about the show though. When Jonny Fairplay played, he was not liked and when he came back the second time, it had to change who he was in that season. I think that will likely happen with the Villains next season. I also think people will want to support the Heroes. We'll see how it goes. It was fun talking and hearing all of your thoughts on this tread about this show. I hope you all join us again next time. :)

I'm not surprised that Russell didn't win. It is true that he was clever and found the immunity idols. He masterfully manipulated the situation - after all, look who dominated the end game, the tribe that lost probably the most elimination challenges of any season. Still, the game is outwit (which Russell did), outlast (which Russell did), and out play. I don't think Russell outplayed the others. Part of the game is making sure your actions will win the votes of the people that you help oust. An arrogant attitude is not outplaying your competition. Not that Natalie outplayed Russell, but Russell outplayed himself in as much as he generated negative reaction during the money decision part of the competition.

Still, it was a fun season. What parts of it I saw.