Firearms on Amtrak

Over43

Google news is our friend.

Senate Votes to O.K. Checked Guns on Amtrak

The Senate voted on Wednesday to allow Amtrak passengers to carry unloaded and locked handguns in checked baggage

Interesting to note: "Amtrak used to allow passengers to check licensed guns, but ended the practice after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks in 2001."

So, common sense used to rule the day, until a bunch of panicky "we've got to do SOMETHING" hand-waving made politicians pass dumb legislation that didn't help.

Fun story: I checked my handgun and flew from CO to LA. Declaring a firearm means you get to stand in the short line and have 3 people wait on you. The folks at Denver International put my bag through a special machine that took up half a room by itself. It wouldn't surprise me if it scanned the DNA it found inside my locked gun case, which was inside my locked bag. Happily, safely, and legally carried all around New Orleans. Went up to Tennessee, happily/safely/legally carried all around Memphis. The folks at the Memphis airport just wanted me to open the case and show the gun to them. I kept expecting them to ask if they could fire off a few rounds into the ceiling to check the grouping.

LM