Book of Mormon Trivia

stickybuzz

Helaman 9:23

23 Behold ye say that I have agreed with a man that he should murder Seezoram, our chief judge. But behold, I say unto you, that this is because I have testified unto you that ye might know concerning this thing; yea, even for a witness unto you, that I did know of the wickedness and abominations which are among you.

Okay, here are the five I came up with off the top of my head:

Seantum: Se + Antum

Seezoram/Cezoram: Se + Zoram

Zeezrom: Se + Esrom

Zenephi: Se + Nephi

Zenos: Se + Enos

Zenock: Se + Enoch

And let this be a further lesson to you: Vort can't count.

It occurs to me that "Seezoram" might be another form of Zeezrom = Se + Esrom, not Se + Zoram.

Then again, perhaps Zoram and Esrom are the same name, so the distinction is irrelevant. In which case I really did list five examples. Yeah, that's it.

Seezoram/Cezoram: Se + Zoram

Zeezrom: Se + Esrom

I was thinking of the second one. My apologies to Pam.

Name four Book of Mormon father/son pairs (not including Joseph Smith :)) that shared the same name.

Alma/Alma the Young (someone else already said that)

Mosiah I/Mosiah II

King Lamoni/King Lamoni's Father (heehee)

"At what point in their history did the Nephites leave the land of Nephi?"

Anyone biting on this?

When they were driven north toward the final battles at the end of the Book of Mormon?

Alma/Alma the Young (someone else already said that)

Mosiah I/Mosiah II

King Lamoni/King Lamoni's Father (heehee)

Alma: Correct

Mosiah: Sorry, they were grandfather/grandson

Lamoni: Good try, thanks for playing :) (You should have guessed "Anti-Nephi-Lehi")

Hint: You're in the correct family tree for some of the others.

When they were driven north toward the final battles at the end of the Book of Mormon?

Actually, that might well be a correct answer. I am specifically looking for the first time the Nephites abandoned the "land of Nephi".

"At what point in their history did the Nephites leave the land of Nephi?"

New day -- time's up!

It was during the reign of Mosiah, father of king Benjamin. Omni 12-13 reads:

"Behold, I am Amaleki, the son of Abinadom. Behold, I will speak unto you somewhat concerning Mosiah, who was made king over the land of Zarahemla; for behold, he being warned of the Lord that he should flee out of the land of Nephi, and as many as would hearken unto the voice of the Lord should also depart out of the land with him, into the wilderness— and it came to pass that he did according as the Lord had commanded him. And they departed out of the land into the wilderness, as many as would hearken unto the voice of the Lord; and they were led by many preachings and prophesyings. And they were admonished continually by the word of God; and they were led by the power of his arm, through the wilderness until they came down into the land which is called the land of Zarahemla."

This is important in the narrative for at least two reasons:

• It marks the beginning of the union between the Nephites and the so-called Mulekites, or people of Zarahemla.
  • It set up the conditions for a part of the people to try returning a few years later back into the land of Nephi, which of course led to that part being led by wicked Noah, subject to bondage, and then freed and, two or three generations later, rejoining the main Nephite group in Zarahemla.
Edited by Vort

Name four Book of Mormon father/son pairs (not including Joseph Smith :)) that shared the same name.

Pam mentioned Alma.

Starting with the first Alma, the lineage is as follows:

Alma: priest of wicked king Noah; repented at the preaching of Abinadi (Ab'n Adi, son of Adi), founded a church, led the righteous remnant back to the Nephites, established the Church there.

Alma (Mosiah 27:8): Wicked and idolatrous man who, unlike almost everyone else in recorded history, actually repented when confronted by an angelic messenger. Desired to preach the gospel as an angel (Alma 29), and quite possibly was granted his wish (Alma 45:18-19). The book of Alma is named for this man.

Helaman (Alma 31:7): Led a group of Lamanite young men, sons of those Lamanites converted by his father.

Helaman (Alma 63:11): Received the Nephite record from his uncle Shiblon and published it widely among the Nephites. Became chief judge at the murder of Pahoran's sons, Pahoran and Pacumeni. The book of Helaman is named for this man.

Nephi (Helaman 3:21): With his brother Lehi, called the Nephites to repentence, then went among the Lamanites, receiving miraculous protection. Prophesied the murder of Seezoram and the culpability of Seantum. Called down the powers of heaven to inflict a massive drought on the people, stopping a war and causing them to die like flies. Definitely someone better to have as a friend than an enemy. Wandered off and was never seen again...

Nephi (3 Nephi 1:2): Led the Nephite Church through the dark period of civil unrest when the people, under the able judgeship of Lachoneus, were subject to attack by Gadianton robbers, and later when the government completely dissolved. Became one of the twelve Nephite "disciples", functioning as virtual apostles to the Nephites. Was taken into the presence of the Lord immediately upon his death, or else was granted a state of "translation" in order to live perpetually among the peoples until Christ's return. (Given the missionary bent of his ancestry, my money is on the latter possibility.) The books of 3 and 4 Nephi are named for this man.

So three of the sets are Alma, Helaman, and Nephi. The fourth is actually Mormon himself (Mormon 1:5).

Edited by Vort

The central book of the Book of Mormon is Alma, and the central chapter of Alma is chapter 32. In this chapter, Alma invokes the familiar Book of Mormon imagery of a tree. This tree grows from a seed, which is mostly what Alma talks about. What does the seed represent?

I'm confused. I know Alma/Alma the Younger

But when you say father/son pairs..how are the others father/son?

It's not Helaman/Helaman or Nephi/Nephi.

Yes, it is Alma, Alma, Helaman, Helaman, Nephi, Nephi. I have provided scriptural references for each, if you want to look them up. Rather interesting genealogy.

Edited by Vort