new phone...

Guest xforeverxmetalx

I never said it wasn't useful or valuable, but it is a craze and that's why I don't want one.

I appreciate that. But I assumed by you saying "it's a craze" you implied its a craze without good cause, which it isn't. I know in your OP you specified no iPhones, but if the reason was simply not to go along with the crowd I was trying to attempt to convince you otherwise, as I do believe its best to get the right device for the job, as opposed to what everyone else is or isn't doing. However we all have our own needs and if the iPhone isn't right for the job then at least my posts can go someway to helping to decide that :)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest xforeverxmetalx

I appreciate that. But I assumed by you saying "it's a craze" you implied its a craze without good cause, which it isn't. I know in your OP you specified no iPhones, but if the reason was simply not to go along with the crowd I was trying to attempt to convince you otherwise, as I do believe its best to get the right device for the job, as opposed to what everyone else is or isn't doing. However we all have our own needs and if the iPhone isn't right for the job then at least my posts can go someway to helping to decide that :)

well thanks, but it doesn't matter anyway since iPhone isn't available for Verizon. :D

I recently bought a BB Storm, unlocked it to T-Mobile and installed the newest 5.0.0.328 software on it. I have been a BB person since I bought my first one back in 2004 (7100t, Pearl, Curve and now Storm). I have liked all of the ones that I have had in the past, but this one blows them all away as far as multimedia goes. I also really like the Bold, but I couldn't pass up the deal on the Storm.

So either the Bold or the Storm are my suggestions. Not to mention that they are awesome for email (if that matters to you).

I recently bought a BB Storm, unlocked it to T-Mobile and installed the newest 5.0.0.328 software on it. I have been a BB person since I bought my first one back in 2004 (7100t, Pearl, Curve and now Storm). I have liked all of the ones that I have had in the past, but this one blows them all away as far as multimedia goes. I also really like the Bold, but I couldn't pass up the deal on the Storm.

So either the Bold or the Storm are my suggestions. Not to mention that they are awesome for email (if that matters to you).

have any working used ones you want to sell?

Everytime I used my mom's iphone the touch screen frustrated me and made me want to throw it against the wall. All everyone told me was " Oh you just have to get used to it.". I gave it more chances only to get more disapointment from it's silly touchscreen that seemed like it could only slow me down to it's lack of simple features like mms ability. But wait! You can get mms now AND be able to copy and paste IF you've got the extra money. NOPE. I got a Blackberry Curve 8900 without the data plan and I still can't fathom why I would ever need a different phone. I hook it up to wireless anywhere I'm at and I'm just fine. My phone bill is usually around the neighborhood of $20.00 on a family plan with unlimited texting.

OH yes! And From what I've seen the Palm Pre is a really nice phone too!

Everytime I used my mom's iphone the touch screen frustrated me and made me want to throw it against the wall. All everyone told me was " Oh you just have to get used to it.". I gave it more chances only to get more disapointment from it's silly touchscreen that seemed like it could only slow me down to it's lack of simple features like mms ability. But wait! You can get mms now AND be able to copy and paste IF you've got the extra money. NOPE. I got a Blackberry Curve 8900 without the data plan and I still can't fathom why I would ever need a different phone. I hook it up to wireless anywhere I'm at and I'm just fine. My phone bill is usually around the neighborhood of $20.00 on a family plan with unlimited texting.

Did you get that anger from your father? :P

FWIW, MMS and cut-and-paste are not extra money. You just need to download the latest OS version. Oh, unless you got the 1st gen phone which is sooo 5-minutes ago. ;)

I still can't fathom why I would ever need a different phone.

"640k ought to be enough for anybody" ;)

Admittedly, the lack of copy/paste, MMS, forwarding text messages etc. was annoying. It seems apple spent so much time pondering over the more advanced features, they forgot about some of the more basic ones. However, as has already been stated, this was fixed in the latest service pack released a while ago now.

trying to decide on a phone to get, any suggestions?

most important thing is it has to be GSM/quad band so it'll work overseas, besides that I want more advanced features like internet and MP3 player. preferrably it should have decent battery life. GPS is also a good thing as I get lost driving often :D

I was going for the Blackberry Storm but that's had some not so great reviews, so need to find something else. the Droid also looks cool but as far as I know, it's not GSM. also, no iPhone.

anyway back to looking around, if anyone has ideas, they're welcome... we're with Verizon btw.

Google Phone...

• 3 months later...
Guest xforeverxmetalx

Alright, so it turns out we're not going for any phone that requires a data plan. Which unfortunately, nearly all the good ones are, especially international ones.

So I ended up deciding on the Verizon Escapade [though I haven't bought it just yet]... fairly cheap, simple flip phone that can be used overseas. It's CDMA in the US but switches to GSM on a preinstalled SIM card when overseas.

Now I've overturned the internet searching for info on this, hopefully some of you techie people can help me... can it be unlocked for use with a German SIM card? Would be way cheaper to do that rather than pay expensive roaming rates.

And if so, how would I go about doing that? It doesn't show up under most of the unlocking websites [and yes I know it's Pantech VWsomething]. And how much should I expect to pay?

Thanks in advance if anyone has any info on this, it's been extremely frustrating to research and come up empty.

• 3 months later...

Ok, finally got a pair of BB curve 8900 for me and my wife. Haven't found the LDS scriptures yet for it. Only got a couple of apps so far, one being mobipocket.

Really wish RIM had a more featured pc desktop software program to manage it tho. Like of setting contacts and creating and applying ringtones. Very disappointed after being used to using Motorola Phone Tools.

Ok, finally got a pair of BB curve 8900 for me and my wife. Haven't found the LDS scriptures yet for it. Only got a couple of apps so far, one being mobipocket.

Really wish RIM had a more featured pc desktop software program to manage it tho. Like of setting contacts and creating and applying ringtones. Very disappointed after being used to using Motorola Phone Tools.

You can assign different ring-tones just fine by either contacts or type. You might just not be used to the tools available.

To change a ring tone for a contact, open your address book and find the one you want to change. Press the menu button, choose 'Edit', custom ring tones/alerts and change either the Messages or Phone ringtone.

To change generic ringtones, go to the speaker, press the trackpad and go down to 'Edit Profiles' or 'Set Ring Tones/Alerts'. Either/Or.

Found this scripture for Snow:

• Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man; and his number is XXX-XXX-XXXX and can be reached only with an iPhone 4.
*edit* I don't know who this number belongs to but per reverse look up it is a landline phone that is unpublished.(pam) Edited by pam