Fasting for over 24 hours?

martybess

The doctrine for present day fasting is no food or drink for the time period of 24 hours or 2 meals,

Personally I've never heard the 24 hours in all the 52 years I've been a member. Though I was brought up and taught that we fast 2 meals.

Per lds.org:

The Church designates one Sunday each month, usually the first Sunday, as a day of fasting. Proper observance of fast Sunday includes going without food and drink for two consecutive meals, attending fast and testimony meeting, and giving a fast offering to help care for those in need.

There is no mention of 24 hours.

Edited by pam

Just a little tip, or pointer, for those who are physically able to fast, but who may find it especially difficult.

Entering a fast in a state of dehydration (a state many of us habitually live in) makes a fast far more difficult. The bigger difficulty in fasting actually comes from thirst, rather than hunger, though one may not recognize the difference in symptoms.

However, if one keeps his body properly hydrated on a daily basis, then, when the time for a fast comes, going without food and drink for 24 hours is not the burden it is when the body is already in need of water at the onset of the fast.

This one simple thing can make fasting a much more spiritually meaningful experience.

A person can go no more than 3 to 4 days without water, then he/she will di of thirst. If there is sufficient water, a person can survive 30-200 days without food (200 is an absolute extreme)

Have a look at Matth. 4:2-3: "And when he had fasted forty days and forty nights, he was afterwards an hungred. And when the tempter came to him, he said: If thou be the Son of God, command that these stones be made bread."

As far as I remember do we believe that Jesus had a human body. So if he was HUNGRY after 40 days of fasting, he MUST have had water to drink! And I believe that applies to any fasting mentioned in the scriptures or anywhere else that lasted for a longer time.

Regular fasting is supposed to last for two meals (or 24 hours), and as the brethren have advised us, no spiritual fasting should last longer.

Those people who cannot fast due to medical reasons (I am one of those) still have many options in my view. While the rest of my family fasts, I try to reduce my food to the necessary basics... no candy, no chocolate, plain bread, water instead of juices, just what I really need to get along. I need not feast while others fast.

And somebody who gets severe headache/migraine might consider drinking some water to avoid complications.

And if you have a look at D&C 59:5-14... The Lord says, "I give you a commandment, saying thus..." All kind of rules follow ... and then the conclusion: "Verily, THIS IS FASTING and prayer...". Same in Isaiah 58 3--14. Fasting is so much more than just refraining from food.

Sometimes it is necessary to look for the spirit of the law.. and not the letter.

By the way: I do like the kind of fasting some other churches do: between Ash Wednesday and Easter complete abstinence of something you otherwise like to do or eat: TV, candy, meat. But this could only be an addition to the regular monthly fasting, not a substitute.

Edited by stormwitch

Hemidakota & Stormwitch,

You both bring up a good point - we really don't know what, if anything, Jesus had to eat or drink. A look at ancient fasting rituals/practices might shed some light (thekabalist??).

My understanding was that Jesus was both God & Man - He suffered as a man might suffer but did not have all the human constraints (i.e., bleeding in the Garden would have killed anyone but Him). My feeling is that He had neither food nor water while fasting, as He did not need them to survive.

I'm not saying that Jesus didn't need to eat or drink because I don't know that. But my belief is that during His time in the desert, He didn't. Beliefs don't need to make sense, do they?? :confused:

Cheers

Personally I've never heard the 24 hours in all the 52 years I've been a member. Though I was brought up and taught that we fast 2 meals.

While this might not be considered doctrine by some, Gospel Principles, Fasting states:

One Sunday each month Latter-day Saints observe a fast day. On this day we neither eat nor drink for two consecutive meals, thus making a fast of twenty-four hours. If we were to eat our evening meal on Saturday, then we would not eat or drink until the evening meal on Sunday.

I've seen it in conference talks, I just can't remember where.

Cheers

Per lds.org:

The Church designates one Sunday each month, usually the first Sunday, as a day of fasting. Proper observance of fast Sunday includes going without food and drink for two consecutive meals, attending fast and testimony meeting, and giving a fast offering to help care for those in need.

Sure, if you're a hobbit and eat six meals per day, fasting only lasts about four hours.

Seriously, two meals MEANS 24 hours. I don't see how anyone in our culture doesn't understand this. For example:

The law to the Latter-day Saints, as understood by the authorities of the Church, is that food and drink are not to be partaken of for twenty-four hours. (Joseph F. Smith, Gospel Doctrine, as quoted in the Family Home Evening Resource Book.)

President Hunter further explained President Smith's remarks:

Members of the Church may fast at any time as they have a need, but the fast contemplated on the day referred to as fast day, as defined by President Joseph F. Smith, 'is that food and drink are not to be partaken of for twenty-four hours, 'from even to even." ' From even to even has been given the meaning of going without two meals—from the evening meal on the night before to evening meal on fast day. (Howard W. Hunter, as quoted in LDS Gems.)

Bottom line: A regular, two-meal fast is 24 hours.

On a more serious note, you state:

I don't see how anyone in our culture doesn't understand this.

I think one of the reasons this point does require prophetic elucidation is that other cultures dine differently (European (thinking British & tea), hobbit, etc.); also, brunch could be thought of a meal by some - ya never know.

That was something I hadn't really given much thought to before. Thanks.

Cheers