New Elders Quorum Presidency secretary seeks advice

EQ_Guy

I'm an adult convert to our church and have just been called to be the secretary for the Elders Quorum Presidency. I feel really honored to have this position. I'm also preparing to be endowed very soon. I'm seeking advice on being the best secretary I can be and would love to hear from others who've had this calling in the past or presently.

Yes, I pray about things and all, but I'd like to hear of actualy mechanical things I can do to do what's right. I mean like taking minutes in EQ meetings and amplifying my calling in all possible ways.

Thanks

I think I learned most the first time I served on an EQ from the secretary! He took minutes, which was nice, but he also sent me a summery of things outlining what I was to be doing. Then, he would send me email asking if I had met with this person or if i have finished something, just stayed on top of things. Sometimes i might miss an assignment and when he sent my summary it saved me a lot of heartache. when I had an appointment he would sned me a note to advise me that he had set up the appointment, then the night before a reminder that I had this appoinment.

Seems like he nagged a lot, but it wasn't that way at all. He didn't have the meetings with the ward or stake people, didn't have to meet and get reports from other elders, he was the 'right hand man' and really kept htings moving. It was sad when the Bishop learned about him and stole him away to have him serve as Exec. Sec.

So, be the 'right hand man' and suport the EQ president. Keep him on top of things and stay on top of his councilors so they get their job done. Nag!!! it helps more than you know!

Im in the presidency right now and we have a pretty good secretary. I think one thing that makes him successful is not viewing him as 4th down the line. I have been a secretary before, and really felt like I wasnt part of the presidency. We really treat one another as equals. We all take turns taking minutes, we all help with appointments, and we all do visits. I'd try to get as involved as possible, while always respecting and honoring the EQP's decisions and direction.

That being said, I think when a secretary isnt afraid to make phone calls, set up visits, set up PPI's, and enter in home teaching #'s, they are super helpful.

Good luck in your calling!

I think I learned most the first time I served on an EQ from the secretary! He took minutes, which was nice, but he also sent me a summery of things outlining what I was to be doing. Then, he would send me email asking if I had met with this person or if i have finished something, just stayed on top of things. Sometimes i might miss an assignment and when he sent my summary it saved me a lot of heartache. when I had an appointment he would sned me a note to advise me that he had set up the appointment, then the night before a reminder that I had this appoinment.

Seems like he nagged a lot, but it wasn't that way at all. He didn't have the meetings with the ward or stake people, didn't have to meet and get reports from other elders, he was the 'right hand man' and really kept htings moving. It was sad when the Bishop learned about him and stole him away to have him serve as Exec. Sec.

So, be the 'right hand man' and suport the EQ president. Keep him on top of things and stay on top of his councilors so they get their job done. Nag!!! it helps more than you know!

Wow, thank you... so much information here. It's funny, the EQ Presidency is new as well as I've told the President a couple times, "hey, why don't you let me know of everything you have to do every month and I'll remind you. Well, he's never told me what. I REALLY want to get everything together and do the best job possible.

Thank you

Im in the presidency right now and we have a pretty good secretary. I think one thing that makes him successful is not viewing him as 4th down the line. I have been a secretary before, and really felt like I wasnt part of the presidency. We really treat one another as equals. We all take turns taking minutes, we all help with appointments, and we all do visits. I'd try to get as involved as possible, while always respecting and honoring the EQP's decisions and direction.

That being said, I think when a secretary isnt afraid to make phone calls, set up visits, set up PPI's, and enter in home teaching #'s, they are super helpful.

Good luck in your calling!

Thanks. When you say "enter in home teaching #s" do you mean into MLS? This last meeting he said that the 2 counselors would do PPIs during Elders Quorum. I'm not sure if I said it but I'm just coming active again after years of being away and am a convert. I just received the Melchizedek Priesthood a couple months ago. All of these things are new to me.

I've never served in an Elders' Quorum presidency, so you may want to weigh that bit into how strongly you consider any of my advice. I am currently serving as a ward clerk, and these are the things I would want an Elders' Quorum secretary to know.

First, speak to your ward clerk and make sure you have organizational access in MLS. This will allow you to record and edit home teaching companionships and visits as well as update callings in the quorum.

Home Teaching in MLS

https://tech.lds.org/wiki/index.php/Home_teaching

Callings in MLS

https://tech.lds.org/wiki/index.php/Callings

Get sections 1 and 16 of the Church Handbook of Instructions and study them

Be diligent about getting home teaching reported before the tenth of the month.

Be familiar with programs like http://beta-maps.lds.org

Study the ward lists and learn everything you can about each family. Things to be particularly mindful are

• Members who are willing to receive home teachers
  • Members who do not want contact from the church
  • part member families
  • Unmarried members (both with and without children)
  • Members of the quorum who have callings in Young Men's and Primary

Keep a list of people who are on the ward records, but not at the address given. Try to locate these members with reasonable means (white pages, asking people at the currently listed address), but if you can't find them by reasonable means, notify the clerk and get them off your records so the Church can look for them.

When the clerk needs something, you should be the first person he asks. Get an idea of what he needs from you and when he needs it.

I'm a chick, but I've served in the Relief Society presidency a few times. Here's my advice for someone serving as secretary.

You are the glue for the presidency. Keeping minutes and keeping on top of things that need to be done (not that you need to do them, but reminding the ones who need to do it) is extremely helpful. Being organized (there is a lot of reporting in our church) is helpful. And don't ever hesitate to give your opinion, even if it is in contrast to everyone else's opinion. One lesson I learned a long time ago was that I give an opinion and then let it go. If my advice is taken, great. If it is not taken, great. Doesn't mean that no one hears me--it simply means they made another decision than the one I advised.

he I learned the importance of secretaries when I was Ward Clerk via the online clerks training. The before mentioned items are part of the role. The Ward Clerks are supposed to also train all auxiliary secretaries in reporting to the clerk. Most often it is not leadership who first hear or notice issues with members but diligent secretaries. A diligent secretary is more vital to a presidency then a councilor. But too often Wards or at least ours looks at a secretary as a nice luxury but not hugely important. Below is the example I used when I trained secretaries on the vital need of their role.

Typical situation. Brother Smith gets offended during the recent ward activity. He continues to come to sacrament for several weeks but stops attending Sunday School. After 3 weeks of that he stops going to Priesthood. Two months later he no longer is coming to church. Over time maybe six more weeks someone gets around to noticing Brother Smith is not coming anymore. No one knows why so the Leadership gets into PEC talks about it and they send in the Home Teachers to see what is wrong. At this point even if he is willing to talk about what happened weeks have gone by and the hurt over not being noticed and the anger festering make it very hard for him to return.

Proper Secretary

Brother Smith is offended at a recent ward activity. The Sunday School Secretary notices he has not been coming to Sunday School after the second week so the third one he confirms that Brother Smith is in sacrament so he goes to him and invites him to class. Brother Smith makes an excuse and does not come. The next week Brother Smith does not go to EQ or Sunday School. This time the Sunday School secretary mentions this to the Sunday School President and the Ward Clerk. The Ward Clerk checks with EQ secretary and see's he skipped the last weeks preisthood. He then mentions the concern to the EQ secretary. The next week the Ward Clerk, Sunday School secretary and EQ secretary all make an effort to get Brother Smith to class with no luck. At this point it is very clear there is an issue. The three discuss the time line and realize it began immediatly after the Ward Activity. The clerk then takes this to the Bishopric meeting, and the Eq secretary to the EQ President. Therefore the best leaders to corrct the issue are made aware of the problem and given actual information to help find the exact cause. In Bishopric someone remembers Brother Smith stormed out after talking to Brohter Jones. A leader then goes and visits Brother Smith, but goes with knowledge. "We noticed after you talked to Brother Jones at the WArd activity last month that you seemed upset. And we are concerned that your attendance is dropping off. Can I ask what happened so that we might help get things on track for the good of the Ward body. WE care about you and want to help."

People tend to test the waters before doing something. We will often pull back slowly to see if anyone notices. Even if he left all at once, in part he wants to see if anyone cares. In the first example because secretaries were not monitering the members and looking for signs of issues things had to progress to where the leadership noticed and they had no information to plan a way to help.

The second example shows Brother Smith he is noticed, cared for and loved. The Leadership did not have to focus on minor issues until it became clear it was a serious one and then they had at least most of the information they needed to go in with a plan and an understanding.

Do not underestimate the role you have. I am currently a councilor in EQ and we have no secretary. The Presidentcy is temporary in any Ward but the Qurom is not. The secretaries role is to insure the continuation of the Qurom from its foundation until it is disolved. The secretary must insure the Qurom stays within the guidlines of the church for the Qurom. It is very easy for Presidentcies to get off track without realizing it.

I hope your Ward apprciates the importance of your role. More important I hope you do not forget your importance in that calling. Don't underestimate the vital responsibility you have. Do not fear your worthiness or ablity to do the task as the Lord will help you learn and grow.

I would suggest going to the online training for clerks, secretaries and Qurom president's so you understand the interrelationship of them.

Edited by LDSVALLEY

Guest mormonmusic

In addition for asking for and reading all the manuals, and also taking the training as LDSValley recommends, I suggest a DO and DO NOT DO list:

1. Don't accept assignments and then fail to do them.

2. Do report back to your President on assignments without him following up.

3. Actively seek ways to help your president. Every Presidency will be different -- some Presidents will be highly organized, while others not be -- you'll have to use your judgment about the best way to support the Presidency. Was Exec Sec to a Stake President who couldn't organize his way out of a wet paper bag. I set up systems to help him get organized, being gentle in my suggestions, which he latched onto immediately.

4. Hope the quorum presidency do their PPI's by facilitating the appointment set ups. We did a lot of PPI's when I got my secretary involved.

5. Don't do initiatives for a while, and then get sick of them, and then water them down or stop doing them. Be the seed that falls on fertile ground.

I've seen all of these do's and don'ts in the 7 sets of brethren who've reported to me as a quorum leader....

• 3 years later...

Sit down and talk with the EQ President. Ask him what his goals are for his Presidency. Many jump in and don't take the time to stop and think about what they want to achieve during their time as president. What plans if any are there? What specific help or duties does he expect from the secretary.

In my experience you will find that they do not have a clear understanding of the secretary roll. They usually think it is taking attendance and minutes and that is about it.

The most effective Presidencies work together to reduce everyone's load. A good secretary reduces the load on the President by guiding and directing issues to the appropriate person. Does an issue require the President to step in or can it go to a councilor. Does the Councillors have clearly defined rolls and responsibilities?

A good secretary working with a good President can deal with the structure and organization allowing the Leadership to deal with the issues. The EQ President can be a very consuming calling at it gets worse if they are not well organized or do not delegate rolls and duties to others.

I have found and had the Stake agree with me that one of the biggest issues we have is not taking time to train people when giving callings and Leaders not understanding what the real duties of callings are. If you call um but don't train um and don't use um you lose um.

A secretary can have a major impact on how well any unit functions. For example one thing I learned to do is to sit so I can watch the people in the group. Often I have been able to tell someone is upset by either someone or something in a class by watching their body language. Talking to them after class I have been able to defuse several situations before someone has stormed away.

Remember you do not get released when a President does, you are not a particular President's secretary you are the Elder Quorum secretary, you are responsible for the continuation of the Quorum between Leaders. Any EQ can survive a bad Presidency but you have a major impact on how well a Quorum makes the transition between Leaders. It is a foolish new President who calls a new secretary as soon as there is a Leadership change and a worse Bishopric who lets it happen.

Learn your role, you might have to ask several times for information, research it on church sites, read the online handbook of instruction 2. Decide what goals you have for your calling and find out the President's goals. Do everything you can to help the Leaders.

I get angry when I hear Leaders telling people it's okay the secretary position is an easy calling. They do it to not intimidate the person. I know the opposite. A good secretary is more important to a President then Good Councilors. You have a solid President and Secretary and the Quorum is in good hands no matter how dedicated the Councilors.

Remember you are responsible to the President but also to the Quorum. Do what you can to help the Quorum progress no matter how good or long the President is there. When I have had the calling I have had to sometimes fight uphill battles to keep the Presidency from straying off the guidelines laid out by the Handbook. They get focused on individual issues and it is easy to lose sight of the bigger picture. And to not see that a solution to one problem they come up with actually create new problems in other areas.

As Ward Clerk I found out I was supposed to instruct new secretaries in their role outside of their auxiliaries. I got the backing of the Bishop and we had a meeting with all the secretaries, President's and Councilors. When I was done most of the people realized the importance of secretaries and how under used they were. For the next year until Bishops changed and a cascade of calling and releases followed we found things worked easier, more focus was put on issues quicker and the Leadership load was more distributed and everyone worked together easier. I am not a super teacher it was just getting everyone to understand everyone else's role and the interconnection between them.

I wish you every success in your calling. Never think of it or yourself as unimportant. Even if the Leaders in your Ward don't get it the Lord does. He knows the importance of your calling. Learn your role according to the church, find out the President's expectations, think of your own goals, study the Quorum's needs then keeping within the church guidelines work to blend them together.

Thank you for caring enough about your new calling to ask and research it.

Thank you LDSVALLEY, I really appreciate the sound advice.

I have only been a member for 3 years now and this is my first leadership calling and I want to be sure that I am not over-stepping (or under-stepping!). I am blessed to be working with 3 awesome guys that I know will help guide me, but I wanted to do some of my own due diligence too.

My Advice.

I try to be a step a head. Its not always easy. So I try to plan ahead a week or even a month ahead of time. What things the Presidency needs to know about. Any meetings they might need to go to and so forth.

I spend most of my time is getting the other three to get me Home Teaching numbers. Some are easier then others to get. I even made it easy by putting together an Google Doc sheet that they could enter them in. Sometimes they still wouldn't use it. You do have to be patient.

I do the roll on sunday. Technically the church only gets the numbers for Home Teaching and the role ever 3 months (ever Quarter). So technically you don't even need to get them the other two months. But I do, just so every stays in the habit of it.

When we have our Presidency Meeting I create some type of agenda. I had been a secretary before in other calls so I kind of had a basic Agenda layout. I use to have 5 sections.

One area for old business, (this was mostly used to remind us for old things we talked about, but our current Presidency tends to just talk about each item).

Two Upcoming events. I would log into LDS.org and go to the calandar. for our stake/ward. I would put down any items that would would concern the Presidency.

The rest of the agenda I would have three sections all for the three different missions of the church (Perfecting the saints, Proclaiming the Gospel, and Redeeming the Dead). I still do feel this is should the focus of every presidency. For use we would only have stuff to talk about with Perfecting the saints. I kind of have dropped the other two.

Obviously we would have an open and closing prayer which would be on the agenda. But I also would assign somebody to give a short thought. This does make more work on my part because I have to let them know ahead of time (and keep track). But I really do believe having a thought does bring in the spirit.

Last, we have gotten in the habit of having little meetings at the church like during sunday school. This really aren't meetings with an agenda, and thus because we have talked about the stuff we need to, we don't have an official meeting. Yes these probably do have there place. But I realize we get so much more done when we have an actually meeting. Talk to your presidency about setting up meeting times. We started out having them the first and third sunday. Try to stick to it. Even if you don't think you have stuff to talk about. You probably do.

We tend to struggle with PPI's. (Could be because a lot of people don't do there Home Teaching in our ward). I use to call everybody to set up appointments. That did seem to work pretty good. I then found out people could do it on the set day we had scheduled. So now we pick two sundays to do them on. (Usually the last sunday and the first sunday).

I also have started to just bring a signed up sheet early. Let people sign up, and then I try to find those in Primary and Young Mens. I then would just send them a reminder text about the PPI.

Good Luck.