The Open Forum Is Dieing

DisRuptive1

Originally posted by Maureen+Oct 28 2005, 02:14 PM-->

<!--QuoteBegin-Ray@Oct 28 2005, 01:51 PM

And btw, I still do not agree with your definition of “respect”, and I do not “reverence” or “admire” your definition, but I believe I am continuing to be quite nice about it.

So Ray, do you think that dictionary.com is lying? If you can't believe a dictionary, who can you believe? And Ray, don't say God, because it was God that gave man his brain that created the dictionary. I bet God agrees with the dictionary.

M.

Dictionaries are generally vague in helping to describe a word, and primarily give examples of how a word is used, which is why I prefer to use a thesaurus.

Originally posted by Ray+Oct 28 2005, 03:45 PM-->

Originally posted by Strawberry Fields@Oct 28 2005, 02:33 PM

Originally posted by Ray@Oct 28 2005, 02:51 PM

Originally posted by Lindy@Oct 27 2005, 10:20 PM

<!--QuoteBegin-Ray@Oct 27 2005, 04:23 PM

Heather,

I think what you mean to say is that everyone should be "nice" to each other, and I say that because I think it is impossible to show "respect" to someone you don't agree with, because to show "respect" means to show "admiration" or "reverence" for someone, and I see no way to show admiration or reverence to someone who continues to say something which I know is not true after I have tried to help them see the light.

But, of course, I do think I should be nice to other people, even when showing or explaining how something they think is true is, in fact, wrong.

I'm not answering for Heather, Ray, but this post just grabbed me by the hair and jerked me backwards.

I don't know how you can' say it is impossible to show "respect" to someone you don't agree with. Geeez I know I would show respect for President Bush because of what and who he represents..... I don't agree with him on a lot of things, but I will show him respect. I will show respect for Tony Blair....I don't agree with some of his thoughts on things...but I will show respect for him. The Pope...I don't agree with him....but I will show him respect....the list can go on and on.

Maybe respect is an individual thing, like tolerance is. Some people can tolerate a lot, some can't. Doesn't make either person wrong, just different views.

As I have already explained, I define or use the word “respect” to describe an "admiration" or “reverence” or “esteem” for [whatever], and I don’t see any way possible for me to “admire” or “reverence” or “esteem” [anything] I don’t agree with.

But if you guys want to define “respect” as “to show concern” or “to be nice” when saying that we should “respect” others, then fine, I can do that, and I feel that I have already shown that I can do that. I simply will not “admire” or “reverence” someone or some idea that I do not agree with.

And btw, I still do not agree with your definition of “respect”, and I do not “reverence” or “admire” your definition, but I believe I am continuing to be quite nice about it.

I think that you are right Lindy.

Be warned apparently because Ray disagees with what you are saying he don't respect you.

Ray, do you respect your wife or does she always agree with you?

First of all, let's define how YOU define "respect", by having you state what you just said in other words.

:o:o:o I WILL NOT have you speak to me in THAT TONE.

Thank You Very MUCH!

Originally posted by Ray@Oct 28 2005, 02:49 PM

Dictionaries are generally vague in helping to describe a word, and primarily give examples of how a word is used, which is why I prefer to use a thesaurus.

You should really give dictionary.com a try. But since you're into the Thesaurus thing instead, let's give thesaurus.com a try:

There were 60 entries found for respect, this is one of them:

Main Entry: consideration

Part of Speech: noun 3

Definition: regard

Synonyms: attentiveness, awareness, concern, considerateness, esteem, estimation, favor, forbearance, friendliness, heed, heedfulness, kindliness, kindness, mercy, mindfulness, quarter account, respect, solicitude, tact, thoughtfulness, tolerance

Antonyms: disregard, inconsideration, thoughtlessness

Source: Roget's New Millennium™ Thesaurus, First Edition (v 1.1.1)

Copyright © 2005 by Lexico Publishing Group, LLC. All rights reserved.

http://thesaurus.reference.com/search?q=respect&start=11

M.

I find it interesting that you scrolled down past the first 10 of 60 references that were given until you found one that supported your views.

Here is the first reference that was given after doing a simple search for the word "respect"

http://thesaurus.reference.com/search?q=respect

Main Entry: respect

Part of Speech: noun 1

Definition: admiration

Synonyms: account, adoration, appreciation, approbation, awe, consideration, courtesy, deference, dignity, esteem, estimation, favor, fear, homage, honor, obeisance, ovation, recognition, regard, repute, reverence, testimonial, tribute, veneration, worship

Antonyms: disrespect

Source: Roget's New Millennium™ Thesaurus, First Edition (v 1.1.1)

Copyright © 2005 by Lexico Publishing Group, LLC. All rights reserved

It should now be obvious that the first reference given through the simple search agrees with what I have been saying.

Originally posted by Strawberry Fields+Oct 28 2005, 03:46 PM-->

Originally posted by Ray@Oct 28 2005, 03:45 PM

Originally posted by Strawberry Fields@Oct 28 2005, 02:33 PM

Originally posted by Ray@Oct 28 2005, 02:51 PM

Originally posted by Lindy@Oct 27 2005, 10:20 PM

<!--QuoteBegin-Ray@Oct 27 2005, 04:23 PM

Heather,

I think what you mean to say is that everyone should be "nice" to each other, and I say that because I think it is impossible to show "respect" to someone you don't agree with, because to show "respect" means to show "admiration" or "reverence" for someone, and I see no way to show admiration or reverence to someone who continues to say something which I know is not true after I have tried to help them see the light.

But, of course, I do think I should be nice to other people, even when showing or explaining how something they think is true is, in fact, wrong.

I'm not answering for Heather, Ray, but this post just grabbed me by the hair and jerked me backwards.

I don't know how you can' say it is impossible to show "respect" to someone you don't agree with. Geeez I know I would show respect for President Bush because of what and who he represents..... I don't agree with him on a lot of things, but I will show him respect. I will show respect for Tony Blair....I don't agree with some of his thoughts on things...but I will show respect for him. The Pope...I don't agree with him....but I will show him respect....the list can go on and on.

Maybe respect is an individual thing, like tolerance is. Some people can tolerate a lot, some can't. Doesn't make either person wrong, just different views.

As I have already explained, I define or use the word “respect” to describe an "admiration" or “reverence” or “esteem” for [whatever], and I don’t see any way possible for me to “admire” or “reverence” or “esteem” [anything] I don’t agree with.

But if you guys want to define “respect” as “to show concern” or “to be nice” when saying that we should “respect” others, then fine, I can do that, and I feel that I have already shown that I can do that. I simply will not “admire” or “reverence” someone or some idea that I do not agree with.

I think that you are right Lindy.

Be warned apparently because Ray disagees with what you are saying he don't respect you.

Ray, do you respect your wife or does she always agree with you?

First of all, let's define how YOU define "respect", by having you state what you just said in other words.

:o:o:o I WILL NOT have you speak to me in THAT TONE.

Thank You Very MUCH!

Heh, that's funny. A tone? I was merely highlighting YOU because I wanted YOUR definition or description of the word "respect", since your definition or description appears to be different than mine. I have no anger in my "tone" whatsoever.

Silly girl.

Originally posted by dizzysmiles@Oct 27 2005, 01:31 PM

then why do they talk about it in a lds site? why not an anti one?

Hey Dizzysmiles :)

Others know how I feel about non lds.... I have no problem with them or their opinions....heck I used to be one of them...BUT it took some good LDS people with strong testimonies to help me find the truth I was looking for.

And that is why I love this site so much....Heather sees the good side of people, knowing that just because they don't agree with us, doesn't mean their opinions and thoughts are less important. In reality, some things said in the open forum may help you to do some research and some extra reading, which in turn increases and strengthens your own testimony. Or maybe that's just me ;)

Originally posted by Ray@Oct 28 2005, 04:36 PM

I find it interesting that you scrolled down past the first 10 of 60 references that were given until you found one that supported your views.

Here is the first reference that was given after doing a simple search for the word "respect"

Main Entry:  respect

Part of Speech:  noun 1

Definition:  admiration

Synonyms:  account, adoration, appreciation, approbation, awe, consideration, courtesy, deference, dignity, esteem, estimation, favor, fear, homage, honor, obeisance, ovation, recognition, regard, repute, reverence, testimonial, tribute, veneration, worship

Antonyms:  disrespect

Source:  Roget's New Millennium™ Thesaurus, First Edition (v 1.1.1)

It should now be obvious that the first reference given through the simple search agrees with what I have been saying.

You're doing the same thing Ray, the difference is I acknowledge the other 59 entries are valid. I'm not ignoring all the many synonyms of the word respect - why are you?

Synonyms: account, adoration, appreciation, approbation, awe, consideration, courtesy, deference, dignity, esteem, estimation, favor, fear, homage, honor, obeisance, ovation, recognition, regard, repute, reverence, testimonial, tribute, veneration, worship

Why did you ignore the ones that I just italicized?

M.

Originally posted by Maureen+Oct 28 2005, 05:04 PM-->

<!--QuoteBegin-Ray@Oct 28 2005, 04:36 PM

Main Entry:   respect

Part of Speech:   noun 1

Definition:   admiration

Synonyms:   account, adoration, appreciation, approbation, awe, consideration, courtesy, deference, dignity, esteem, estimation, favor, fear, homage, honor, obeisance, ovation, recognition, regard, repute, reverence, testimonial, tribute, veneration, worship

Antonyms:   disrespect

Source:   Roget's New Millennium™ Thesaurus, First Edition (v 1.1.1)

You're doing the same thing Ray, the difference is I acknowledge the other 59 entries are valid. I'm not ignoring all the many synonyms of the word respect - why are you?

Why did you ignore the ones that I just italicized?

M.

I already explained that. I said I did a simple search for the word "respect", meaning that I simply typed in the word "respect", hit enter, and then listed the first reference that popped up, while showing how certain words in that first reference were exactly what I was talking about.

Or in other words, I didn't play around with the results until I found some results that would agree with my reasoning, as it appears you did. I simply listed and highlighted the words which were listed in the first reference.

Originally posted by Ray+Oct 28 2005, 05:10 PM-->

<!--QuoteBegin-pushka@Oct 28 2005, 05:03 PM

A little less arrogance on the part of some posters might go a long way towards making this place more friendly again...

I think it takes quite a bit of arrogance to state that other people are being arrogant.

No it doesn't, it just take a little bit of perception. Do I have to go get the dictionary again Ray? :P

M.

Originally posted by Ray@Oct 28 2005, 05:14 PM

I already explained that.  I said I did a simple search for the word "respect", meaning that I simply typed in the word "respect", hit enter, and then listed the first reference that popped up, while showing how certain words in that first reference were exactly what I was talking about.

Or in other words, I didn't play around with the results until I found some results that would agree with my reasoning, as it appears you did.  I simply listed and highlighted the words which were listed in the first reference.

Play around with the results? Ray, all the entries are valid. The other 59 entries aren't a trick that the thesaurus conjured up to try and mess with you. They are real synonyms for the word respect.

And Ray, you only highlighted the words that work for you and you ignored the rest. If they were part of the first entry why not highlight all the synonyms?

M.

Guest Member_Deleted

Originally posted by Ray+Oct 28 2005, 06:10 PM-->

<!--QuoteBegin-pushka@Oct 28 2005, 05:03 PM

A little less arrogance on the part of some posters might go a long way towards making this place more friendly again...

I think it takes quite a bit of arrogance to state that other people are being arrogant.

Maybe stubborn and unteachable would be better labels...