Choseph

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

John,

I defer to your vastly superior knowledge on this issue

Uh oh. Someone forgot to tell afinefellow to not compliment john doe. It goes straight to his head and he uses it later much to everyone's annoyance. "Skittles is the best candy ever and I know that because of my vastly superior knowledge as has been so wondrously explained by several people."

Edited by beefche

Sorry, not trying to be offensive. Perhaps I should have said, "incomplete" instead of "false". Again, I apologize.

Choseph S.

I'd go with PrisonChaplain's suggestion. The things is on some level you are correct, if we didn't think something false about another religion we'd probably be that one . That said it is an issue of tact and respect. Tis the difference between saying, "I disagree" during the course of a conversation and saying, "How can you believe such utterly obvious tripe!", both communicate that you disagree with their position or comment, but the latter communicates a host of emotions, negative ones if said in a serious manner.

It's like PrisonChaplain, he disagrees that Joseph Smith was a Prophet of God, so he believes our religion contains falsehood. If he ran around chanting, "You believe in a false prophet! And a false religion!" he'd be banned in short order and never would have made it to be a Mod. However, he can respectfully disagree and look how loved he is. :) Another example would be our friendly neighborhood Jews on the board. The Christians and they have entirely different belief in who the messiah is, you could say we believe the other's belief concerning the matter is false. But we can be respectful about it.

So use a euphemism, they exist for a reason.

Edited by Dravin

Exactly, I think it would be dishonest if we did not admit that we believe that other religions are lacking. Regardless, we don't go into their churches and synagogues and start preaching to them, unless we are invited to do so. Especially at a wedding.

A co-worker of mine invited me to go and speak to her youth group in their church, which was a protestant denomination. I had just returned from my mission to Finland, and she wanted me to share with them my experience. I was invited, and I taught them the restored gospel of Jesus Christ, and why it was important enough to me that I served a mission. I then encouraged their youth to seek truth, and to be true to it, and to serve God by serving others. I think it went over really well, and no one was offended.

Regards,

Vanhin

Edited by Vanhin

In other words..don't make a fool of myself in trying to pronounce it? hahaha

Pam,

It's not so much that you will sound foolish, but rather that to the uninitiated and those unpracticed in the art of pronouncing a throaty "ch" it more often than not results in the unintended launching of a great gob of spit in the direction of the recipient. So unless you don't particulary care for the person you are speaking to or they are wearing a wetsuit and divers mask, don't try this at home, lol.

Besides, we Jews have long since come to terms with and have grown to accept Channukah being pronounced as Hannukah and names like Chaim being pronounced as Kaim, etc...

Don't sweat the little details, we love you just the same, lol.

HERSHEL

By the way, I was browsing through the site and on page 3 of the Gallery section I saw a pic labeled "LSD Girls". Might I remind you that I am from NYC and take things pretty literally, lol! Was that a typo and was supposed to read "LDS Girls" Because if it's not, I have to take a whole new look at the Mormon Religion, LOL!

All the best,

HERSHEL

By the way, I was browsing through the site and on page 3 of the Gallery section I saw a pic labeled "LSD Girls". Might I remind you that I am from NYC and take things pretty literally, lol! Was that a typo and was supposed to read "LDS Girls" Because if it's not, I have to take a whole new look at the Mormon Religion, LOL!

All the best,

HERSHEL

Oops, obviously a typo. I have corrected it.

Pam,

It's not so much that you will sound foolish, but rather that to the uninitiated and those unpracticed in the art of pronouncing a throaty "ch" it more often than not results in the unintended launching of a great gob of spit in the direction of the recipient. So unless you don't particulary care for the person you are speaking to or they are wearing a wetsuit and divers mask, don't try this at home, lol.

Besides, we Jews have long since come to terms with and have grown to accept Channukah being pronounced as Hannukah and names like Chaim being pronounced as Kaim, etc...

Don't sweat the little details, we love you just the same, lol.

HERSHEL

I like you already. Great sense of humor.