Quick external temple symbolism question

RipplecutBuddha

Someone asked me why the Nauvoo temple has inverted five-point stars on it, or what they symbolize. I'm certain it has nothing to do with satanism or the occult, and I told them as much, but I could not think of what they do represent beyond the telestial kingdom, or even if that is correct.

any help would be welcome.:confused:

Even if the occult usage of inverted pentagram stems for before the claimed 1854 date, it has not always been so associated as a satanic symbol. It is also seen as the symbol used in the United States Armed Force's Medal of Honor, as well as the Masonic Order of the Eastern Star.

;) The only current satanic usage of this symbol can be found on the logo of the Republican National Committee. ;)

Even if the occult usage of inverted pentagram stems for before the claimed 1854 date, it has not always been so associated as a satanic symbol. It is also seen as the symbol used in the United States Armed Force's Medal of Honor, as well as the Masonic Order of the Eastern Star.

I've been doing research on Temples and church as well and read about those stars. I read that during the time of the original Temple that they carried a good meaning and later on I think they took on a negative connotation. I also read that they asked President Hinckley about putting the stars on the new Temple, him knowing it would be controversial and he decided to have them added.

I also read that they asked President Hinckley about putting the stars on the new Temple, him knowing it would be controversial and he decided to have them added.

President Hinckley knew that if you make a historically correct replica, you cannot change the original details (except hopefully added electricity and better plumbing).

Someone asked me why the Nauvoo temple has inverted five-point stars on it, or what they symbolize. I'm certain it has nothing to do with satanism or the occult, and I told them as much, but I could not think of what they do represent beyond the telestial kingdom, or even if that is correct.

any help would be welcome.:confused:

There were two types of five pointed stars for the Nauvoo Temple (original temple) both with a ray pointing downward.

1. All rays of equal length. It is seen on architect drawings but it is not known if it was in was ever incorporated into the actual building.

2. A single ray pointing downward that was considerably elongated. It is confirmed that this design was incorporated into the the actual bldg.

It is known as the Star of the Morning. The morning star is the brightest object in the sky just prior to the breaking of dawn. The reason it is so bright is that it "borrows' light from the sun which is just below the horizon. The elongated ray is pointed downward as if the star draws light from the sun.

The morning star is a herald or precursor with theological implications. For example, it was on a Holy Mount that Peter James and John had received the "more sure word of prophecy," meaning a man's knowing that he is sealed up unto eternal life. It is also a symbol of the Lord Jesus Christ. In the Old Covenant, the coming Messiah was known as the Star of Jacob and in the New Covenant the Book of Revelations refers to Christ as the morning star. (See Symbols in Stone, Brown and Smith, Covenant Communications)