Are Missionaries Taught Self Defense?

Melissa569

I was at my mom's during the week before Christmas, and some female missionaries came over for lessons a few times. They would come over and leave after dark (in a car), which concerned me... My mom doesn't live in the best neighborhood. So I watched closely out the window, to make sure they got in their car and drove out safely.

Then I remember when I was 12, and the male missionaries would come to teach me and my dad (before we moved away). They too came at night, only on bikes. One night, one of them showed us a spot on his jacket where someone in a passing car actually spit on him, minutes before!

So I was just wondering-- do they teach missionaries self defense at all? I mean, I know a big part of that is going out in pairs, and I'm sure that helps. But it seems like such a dangerous job (especially for female missionaries), with all the people out there who are hateful, rude, don't believe in god, muggers, weirdo’s... ??

I think that for as much harms way LDS Missionaries can be in people overall still respect what they do. Even if they do not like the church or are even religious. When I was on my mission we were yelled at, spit at, given rude gestures, and even had things thrown at us. But never once was I ever in fear of being attacked or anything like that. For as many LDS Missionaries there are in the world at any given time it is amazing though. On rare occasions do we hear about them being attacked, more often they will be robbed more then anything. The biggest portion of self defense comes from the Holy Ghost and listening to his promptings.

We have a man in our ward who taught Judo to people and he taught the elder some concepts and some judo as self defense. then he was asked to stop teaching the elders the self defense on p-day because two of the elders who didnt like each other were "sparring" and taking it a little too far. so much for that.

I was at my mom's during the week before Christmas, and some female missionaries came over for lessons a few times. They would come over and leave after dark (in a car), which concerned me... My mom doesn't live in the best neighborhood. So I watched closely out the window, to make sure they got in their car and drove out safely.

Then I remember when I was 12, and the male missionaries would come to teach me and my dad (before we moved away). They too came at night, only on bikes. One night, one of them showed us a spot on his jacket where someone in a passing car actually spit on him, minutes before!

So I was just wondering-- do they teach missionaries self defense at all? I mean, I know a big part of that is going out in pairs, and I'm sure that helps. But it seems like such a dangerous job (especially for female missionaries), with all the people out there who are hateful, rude, don't believe in god, muggers, weirdo’s... ??

Well, let's see....during the Crusades, it was the sword in one hand and the bible in the other....

Mormons could be the Book of Mormon in one hand and the Glock in the other?

;)

In all seriousness, while I think self-defense training would be an admirable cause, I cannot forsee that ever being taught to missionaries.

Edited by theoriginalavatar

Not only would I have fought back, as a missionary, if someone had assaulted me or my companion and there was no other choice, I would also have fought for anyone else I saw being assaulted in any way. I have a hard time just standing around watching something like that happen and not do anything, or just walking away from it.

But we were safe, and the Lord looked after us. I have also seen Sister missionaries walk through some really bad parts of town, where I grew up, and people smiled or looked away when they passed them. I remember thinking then that God kept them, and how bright they looked.

Regards,

Vanhin

I have been told that statistically (though I can't source this) LDS missionaries are safer than any other group of individuals of the same age. They seem to be the least likely to have something bad happen to them.

As for self defense, we were taught self defense in the form of a 3 letter word. RUN.

Never really liked that approach myself. Thankfully never had to use it either.

I never went on a mission but i can't see self defense classes being condusive to the spirit at the MTC.

"Elder Jones, since you were pined by Elder Johnson it's your turn to to say the closing prayer.":)

Plus i believe (where's JAG when you need him) that would make the church accountable if someone jumped the gun,

not to mention "boys will be boys" and teaching them to fight before putting them into a "high stress, high boredom" is just asking for trouble imo.

My husband has some great stories from his mission in Chicago. They run the gamut from being in an alley with two opposing Asian gangs equipped with pipes and chains to just being yelled at "you the 5-O?" then them all chanting 'Latter Day Saint! Latter Day Saint!" Seems the missionaries before them did a good job and they knew there was nothing to fear or be hating on with it came to missionaries aka "white boy! white boy!"

My cousin was attacked on his mission. It was pretty serious too because I recall him being sent to the hospital. I was quite young when it happened but I remember hearing the news from my dad, as it was his nephew.

I don't think it's a bad idea for everyone to know basic self-defense. I never took a self-defense class but I've been taking Tae Kwon Do for about two years and I'm fairly competent in that.

While I think self-defense is a great thing that everyone could benefit from learning, I can see why missionaries are not taught it. The MTC teaches them the things they need to keep their mind focused on their purpose. Missionaries that really put their all into it are the most spiritual people in the world. The Lord looks after his servants. I think, if they were taught self-defense it would pull away from their connection with the spirit. It would teach them to rely on their own skills instead of relying on the Lord.