Are Mormon churches into rock music for worship?

IMHO, you may have experienced some "zeal without knowledge." If so, scripture is clear, that can be dangerous. On the other hand, I don't know what a "hallelujah sermon" is. Was there really know scripture teaching in it, or was it that you were distracted by the atmosphere, you found merely loud, rather than anointed?

I would suggest that proper scripture-teaching can be both passionate and learned. "Knowledge on fire!" as my alma mater put it. :cool:

Basically it goes like this:

The pastor? has the mic and he is walking back and forth across the stage, the "band/choir" is off to the side. The pastor is giving a passionate sermon while the choir breaks into song in the middle of his sermon - almost like the pastor's talk is the verse of the song, while the choir sings the refrain - but it's not quite like that because the choir comes in at random moments... and then, the pastor sometimes breaks into song in the middle of his talk. The congregation shouts Alleluiah, or Amen, or even just plain That's Right! almost every sentence the pastor speaks. He gives the talk like that reverend that said "the chickens come home to roost" that was popular during 2008 campaign - emotional-like, lots of fervor. If I have to put a name to the style, it is more declamation than oration. The people get out of it all energized.

I'm sure there were scripture verses spoken. I'm sure there were doctrinal truths spoken. But, at that point, it was just like when I go to a concert - I go for the beat/feel/comraderie of it - I hardly remember what the lyrics of the songs were.

OKAY...seems appropriate, so here's a joke. If it offends, I'm really in trouble. A pentecostal prison chaplain and an LDS bishop are eating breakfast, discussing how they carry out their church activities. Curiosity gets the better of the bishop and he asks, "PC, I don't understand you pentecostals--the way you carry on, screaming and shouting, and banging on drums, strumming those electric guitars. God ain't deaf ya know?"

PC slowly smiles, takes a drawn out breath, and responds, "Yeah...Heavenly Father ain't deaf. But he ain't nervous, either!."

OKAY...seems appropriate, so here's a joke. If it offends, I'm really in trouble. A pentecostal prison chaplain and an LDS bishop are eating breakfast, discussing how they carry out their church activities. Curiosity gets the better of the bishop and he asks, "PC, I don't understand you pentecostals--the way you carry on, screaming and shouting, and banging on drums, strumming those electric guitars. God ain't deaf ya know?"

PC slowly smiles, takes a drawn out breath, and responds, "Yeah...Heavenly Father ain't deaf. But he ain't nervous, either!."

There is no laugh option for you post - so, LOL.

:)

I agree with Bobby Boucher's Mom, (movie Waterboy) dat rock music is de debil! dat rock music and dem women..ALL WOMEN.. DEYS DE DEBIL I TELL YAS!!!!! Just kiddin as I'm sure you all realize. I was raised deep southern Baptist in a tiny church, Tabernacle Baptist Church where them loud guitars and boom boom drums were not EVEN talked about. The small choir and at MOST the piano played by our fragile local librarian sweet lady in her mid 80's. My granny didn't even believe churches should have a kitchen and voiced her opinion to anyone who tried to bring it up. Yeah, you could bring and have a "covered dish" service on the grounds but that's it! The days of those good old small churches seem to be about over. It's sad in a way. Not that I would go there because now the needs of my family demand more, first and formost being sermons preached directly from the Bible, then Bible study and/or Sunday school that both my wife and I and our teenage sons can attend and feel comfortable worshiping and learning along with several of our peers. Yes, we have a contemporary praise band but 99% of the songs they choose to play are easy going, no grunge metal, and before, during and after songs they talk about how that particular song relates to certain scriptures and give those references as well as post them on the overhead. As long as the main focus when we attend church is and will always be to worship God and we fulfill that goal during the hour or so I'm good with it. I've visited a local church where music, and I must admit with very talented musicians, played and it was inspirational BUT IMHO it did not leave enough time left over for the preacher to be able to provide a full sermon or what I consider one. That takes a while as I would imagine some of the clergy on this forum would agree with. Also, as for that "screamo Christian" music, to me, for it to truly be considered "Christian" music the listener must be able to understand at least ONE single word, it would actually be nice to decypher a group of words during the song that referred in some way to God, Jesus or some religious idea but as hard as I've tried there are some of the songs my teenage sons listen to that I cannot hear that. Only top of the voice screaming and/or what the youth refer to as "pig squeel" music. Just my 75 cents. (inflation you know)

Edited by MichaelCraig

I participated a fireside last Sunday near LA and a young woman performed a solo with piano that was just breath taking. It was not one of the hymns but the theme and the soft melody were just amazing. I sincerely doubt that rock music can invoke such outpouring of the Spirit.

Oh, it can. No doubt about it. I have attended Jars of Clay concert and it was very spiritual albeit non-mellow.

I have experienced extreme joy while rock music is playing and extreme sadness and pain as well. It really depends on the mood the music is designed to invoke.

But reverence is something else. Rock music can't do that, that's for sure.

Sacrament meetings are reverent. It is so reverent that we don't even clap, even to thank people after getting released from callings. We just indicate our thanks by raising our right hand. This keeps the mood reverent - no interruption.

As a ward chorister, it is part of my job to maintain this reverence. We can sing The Spirit of God like a fire is burning... rock-wise... but, even marked as allegro, we don't sing it that way. We sing it with fervor but also with reverence.

Now, if you're talking any other venue other than sacrament meeting - then, of course, we can belt out The Spirt of God as loudly as we can...

I truly believe these sentiments are cultural. Old people can get down right teary-eyed at the reverence of country-western sounding gospel. Folk under 60, from the wrong part of the country wanna cover their ears and say, "You gotta be kidding?" Young people will lift their hands, close their eyes, mouth the words, and be in a place of complete awe towards their God--all to music that many of the older folk are convinced is demonic.

IMHO, the words tell the meaning, and God reads the spirit and motivations of his people.

I think we may not all mean the same thing when we say 'rock music'. To me the term describes very loud electric guitars, often with jarring screeching chords, a very loud thumping drumbeat, unintelligible words screamed out at the top of their voices, half naked or leather clad performers, squealing fans and a total air of loss of control. To some people it means Jimmy Osmond singing 'Long haired lover from Liverpool' with an impish grin and wearing a home knitted sweater.;)

• 4 weeks later...

The music we sing on Sunday's is sacred because it's an expression of our faith. The Lord revealed to Joseph Smith "For my soul delighteth in the song of the heart; yea, the song of the righteous is a prayer unto me, and it shall be answered with a blessing upon their heads." (Doctrine and Covenants 25:12)

We don't use music that expresses our emotions as much as music that expresses our faith. True, they are connected, but while human emotion can be wild and unpredictable with many highs and lows, faith is solid and unmovable. This is what the Lord wants to see from us as we worship.