Are Mormon churches into rock music for worship?

There is no discouragement from listening to specific genres of music, but there is an emphasis on deciding for oneself what is uplifting. The 13th article of faith sums it up pretty clearly:

"... If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things."

I think there are some rock songs that fit this category, and some that do not. But for worship, we tend to lean toward the still small voice rather than the loud boisterous one.

I enjoy many styles and types of music, rock included. In general I really only don't like screamo as a genre, and music which is explicit, profane, or depressive in text. For worship itself though, I don't use any types with the exception of hymns, because I don't personally feel an increase of reverence with others.

Remember though that these are my own personal convictions or ideas, and don't reflect every members ideas. This ties to bytebears reference to deciding for oneself.

Church services are very reverent. Rock music just doesn't set a reverent tone. Accompaniments to hymns sung at an LDS church service are limited to organ or piano. No drums or electric guitar stuff.

Basically, the hymn is chosen to enhance the talks/testimonies. It sets the ambience. It is not meant to replace/overshadow the talks/testimonies. It is not meant to be a "performance". Hence, we do not applaud (clapping) at church services.

If David Archuletta would be in our ward, he would sing together with the rest of the congregation during sacrament meeting. He will not be up there "performing".

Personal worship is just that - personal. It is up to the person how he does it - as long as it doesn't drive out the spirit. Just everyday music outside of worship can be anything - but same thing, as long as it doesn't drive out the spirit with crass lyrics, immoral themes, etc. I'm a big Jars of Clay fan.

Edited by anatess

We've had the Osmonds and Gladys Knight at our Sunday meetings when they have just sung the hymns with the rest of the congregation. We've also had firesides with them when they have 'performed' more upbeat music but still in a spiritually uplifting way so the latter is possible but just not appropriate for a worship setting such as Sacrament Meeting.

I'm impressed. Does the church discourage young people from listening to rock music throughout the week too?

Not specifically "rock" music, but the members should use discretion with all forms of entertainment. If a movie or a song makes you feel angry, violent, or otherwise negative then you should avoid it. I would say that there is some excellent rock music that is perfectly acceptable for listening.

:)

Jenny Jordan Frogley is a good exempel og GOOD rock. She really rocks and youth... and me ... love it. But it does not mean sjhe would be preforming her sones in aworshiping meeting or even in afiresite where she chooses music that is bit more tooned for that situation.

But when she sings I came to win... I feel that nothing can stop the Church from rolling on amd when she sings about the dear faces of her family that she sees in the morning and tells about her devotion adn love thowards her family, I feel the same with my family. And when se sings that there will never be an other like you, you feel extraspecial...

Rock dont NEED to be bad and dirty to be GOOD!

Since the youth likes this kind of music WHY not allow them it with positive rockers like JJF? It IS a beautiful life!

Jenny Jordan Frogley

Here more quiet ones also: YouTube - jenny jordan frogley

This person's book holds good insight for anyone who is interested:

Why I Left The Contemporary Christian Music Movement: Confessions Of A Former Worship Leader

~ Dan Lucarini

Amazon.com: Why I Left The Contemporary Christian Music Movement: Confessions Of A Former Worship Leader (9780852345177): Dan Lucarini, John Blanchard: Books

Also, this one which might be even better:

Can We Rock the Gospel?: Rock Music's Impact on Worship and Evangelism (Paperback)

~ John Blanchard (Author), Dan Lucarini (Author)

Amazon.com: Can We Rock the Gospel?: Rock Music's Impact on Worship and Evangelism (9780852346280): John Blanchard, Dan Lucarini: Books

Edited by chitchat

I'm not LDS, so consider this just a brother's gentle disagreement. I checked your link and agreed with the first reviewer of the book. He gave the author a 4-star rating for a moving personal story, but found the sweeping generalizations to be dogmatic, and simply not always so. I frankly find some CCM to be trite, lite and occasionally silly. But, some of it is so powerful in its simplicity, and truly leads me to a place of worship, often on a single important truth. To add to the tendency to oversimplify these things: hymns are like sermons in song, choruses like a meditative thought.

I find it interesting how more and more contemporary Christian services are now using pop/rock music from big name artists like U2, Foreigner and The Beatles. They'll take the lyrics of one of their hits and put a Christian spin to it such as U2's "Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" or Foreigners "I Wanna Know What Love Is". IMHO, a person can still recieve the Spirit through other means of music than just Mormon Tabernacle Choir hymnals. There are even some hymnals that I don't feel the Spirit from simply because I just don't care for them. I DON'T believe that every hymn is going to guarantee a spiritual experience just as every secular song is not necessarily going to drive the Spirit away. If this kind of music really helps these churches spread their Christian message and brings people to Christ, then more power to them. Through the astounding number of baptisms and high attendances that I hear Evangelicals have in their churches, they must be doing something musically right that's working.:)

I have no idea what point of view those books take, but I believe those that think rock is devilsmusic have never really been hurt, they have not really had a need to kill the pain inside them not really bene down. I really have no idea where I would be today without rock.

It is sad that most of rok is worded foul insted of positively and activatedly. I love drums and bass and I love the beat. In early Jewish services and feasts tambourine was a very importnat instrument.

Beat is not devilish it is the heart of life. Sure music without drums can be beautiful and enjoyable, but so can music with drums and beat too. Music, rythme, drums is just what we make it to be.

I know Mick Jagger once said that rock is to make all youth ... break the law of casity.. (my translation to his words). This was HIS view point and we can easily take a step away from HIS viewpoint, dont need to go that way. There is difference.

My opinion is we should give an answer to the world by haviong a good rock band ala Osmonds concouring the world! Rock is something that catches the youth and IS a good way to smugle in some good toughts to teh youth. Devil strikes hard with his bad music but we CAN if we will hit even harder with GOOD rock. Why do we put our heads behind the bush and think they dont see us or that we cant hear it, when it is played everywhere. Our answer has to be beat them on their own field!

I once walked away from a warmup for the kids, done by some 12 year olds, in my school and sat in the office and asked if they know what the kids are listening to and doing the warmup to, for the jogging day! I was so ******! But I was calm as I asked the question, they just did not care. But I sat there til they were ready, and this was seen as a major disobediance from my site!

I am a sporty type and have liked motion all my life. Rock has a good beat for that, but when I go to the gyms what do they play? Yeah the filth! Why? Because we have not come with an alternative and looks like we are going top keep our heads in the bush adn close our eyes and keep telling ourselves we dont hear it.... we should take the bull by the horns and put it down! But it is not possible if we dont teach the kids to do it the right way... the Osmond way!

This may be a bit too hard for some of you but this is my favorite doing my favorite peace whan I was... under 21..

Feel the pain of youth, get teh message.

This one makes me want to move:

And todays favorite:

See we tend to cool down by the years... and I am still HERE!

OK I confess I am fusterated because of some stuff along this subject....:mad:

Edited by Maya

I enjoy rock music. I play loud music for pleasure at home. I have a lot of favourite music, some of it is even by the Osmonds. ;) I like soul music and I like blues. I even like an Alice Cooper song .............. and things like "I wanna know what love is" can be very moving. "Love lifts us up where we belong." has that effect on me too. I think they are great and it is possible to see them on a Christian level. One song I particularly do that with is "No Matter What" by Meat Loaf, yet I would not want any of them as part ofmy Sunday worship. They have their place but I don't believe it is Sunday Morning Sacrament Meeting. On the other hand I did once request permission to play an old song called "Come To Me" in my RS lesson but all the lyrics are scripture based and it is a very sweet and gentle song. (NOT P. Diddy!)

I'm a convert and used to be a choir guitarist in the old church. Our choir has drums and electric guitars and bass and such. Remember Sister Act? That movie is too "mellow" compared to our choir. It was good because it "attracted" people to attend church - made it more fun.

But when I converted to LDS, I will not go back to that rock church music during sacrament services. No way. I realized, going to a church because of the "concert" is sadly keeping the people from building true testimonies. I love it now that I go to sacrament meeting to hear from his prophets and leaders and renew my baptismal covenants, not to catch a weekly concert. I can attend concerts on my own time.

Not to 'razz Evangelical churches, but I attended a baptist services and international church of christ services and born-again services before I became LDS and they had something in common. The services were mostly 2-hour concerts interspersed with emotional Alleluiah sermons. There was not much difference between that and my dad's political campaign events. I didn't like it. They rely too much on "fervor" to get people to learn something instead of actually building a testimony line upon line, precept upon precept.

How many times do I have to watch the video of Scotland the Brave? lol

Just messin with ya. I actually love bagpipe bands and love that march. Kind of brings back memories of marching in high school.

This was the march we did when I was in high school my last year. Called Eagle Squadron..goes up to about 2:25. I don't have my actual high school band with us performing..so the next best thing. lol

I once gave our choir director a metronome ;)

Did he/she get the idea?

I definatly agre NO other than piano or orgel in Church services. Some beautiful songs goes, sung by someone as a middle song... If there are no piano or orgel gitar might be ok or an other instrument that has kind of quiet sound.:rolleyes:

Not to 'razz Evangelical churches, but I attended a baptist services and international church of christ services and born-again services before I became LDS and they had something in common. The services were mostly 2-hour concerts interspersed with emotional Alleluiah sermons. There was not much difference between that and my dad's political campaign events. I didn't like it. They rely too much on "fervor" to get people to learn something instead of actually building a testimony line upon line, precept upon precept.

IMHO, you may have experienced some "zeal without knowledge." If so, scripture is clear, that can be dangerous. On the other hand, I don't know what a "hallelujah sermon" is. Was there really know scripture teaching in it, or was it that you were distracted by the atmosphere, you found merely loud, rather than anointed?

I would suggest that proper scripture-teaching can be both passionate and learned. "Knowledge on fire!" as my alma mater put it. :cool: