LDS church in NYC area

Jason_J

How active is the LDS church in the New York City area (specifically the 5 boroughs and Long Island)? I live in Long Island and work in Manhattan. I've seen missionaries in Queens probably twice recently. It seems as if the church in NYC is pretty diverse, and even opened up a nice new meetinghouse in Harlem recently. Is the church growing in this area?

Also, I know that there are a number of..."tourist" sites relevant to the LDS church throughout the USA, such as in SLC, Palmyra, and temples like Washington DC. Are there any sites for visitors or investigators in NYC? Does the New York Temple have a visitors' area (I'm pretty sure it doesn't have a visitors center but the temple actually is only part of the building, so I'm wondering if the rest of it has like displays or anything for non-members)?

I'd love to hear from some NYC LDS.

How active is the LDS church in the New York City area (specifically the 5 boroughs and Long Island)? I live in Long Island and work in Manhattan. I've seen missionaries in Queens probably twice recently. It seems as if the church in NYC is pretty diverse, and even opened up a nice new meetinghouse in Harlem recently. Is the church growing in this area?

Also, I know that there are a number of..."tourist" sites relevant to the LDS church throughout the USA, such as in SLC, Palmyra, and temples like Washington DC. Are there any sites for visitors or investigators in NYC? Does the New York Temple have a visitors' area (I'm pretty sure it doesn't have a visitors center but the temple actually is only part of the building, so I'm wondering if the rest of it has like displays or anything for non-members)?

I'd love to hear from some NYC LDS.

Use this link:

http://maps.lds.org/

Fill out Long Island for the city and New York for the state – or you can use your own address and it will locate the closest LDS places. You can also find local meeting times and meet as many local LDS members as you like. Good luck

The Traveler

Use this link:

http://maps.lds.org/

Fill out Long Island for the city and New York for the state – or you can use your own address and it will locate the closest LDS places. You can also find local meeting times and meet as many local LDS members as you like. Good luck

The Traveler

Thanks, yes there are quite a few wards and branches in the NYC area, especially in Manhattan. If I convert, I'd most likely be going to the YSA ward in Manhattan.

Any NYC area LDS on this forum?

I don't know about tourist sites in NYC, but my brother attends the church on Rockland Ave. on Staten Island. I have only visited there once on a quick trip, so I didn't get a chance to really check out what is there.

Ah okay. Manhattan seems to be the "hotspot" for LDS activity, moreso than the other boroughs of NYC (and of course the temple is there). Maybe I'll walk by the temple tomorrow to see what the area is like...

• 3 months later...

today i walked by the Manhattan Temple for the first time. It's in a nice area of Manhattan (near museums, the Julliard School, etc). I thought about going inside, since it's a multipurpose building, with the temple, a ward, PR office, and a distribution center in the same building, and thought about going to the distribution center, but decided against it.

While I was walking, there was a woman outside the temple smoking, then she went inside. I thought that was REALLY...weird (WoW and all). But, she wasn't really dressed in "Sunday best", and like I mentioned, the building has other church facilities besides the temple, so I assume she was in the PR office or maybe worked in the Distribution Center (can non-LDS work in them?). Odd.

Anyway, that's all, it seemed nice from what I could see of the inside first floor. I thought I'd run into missionaries in the area, but I didn't. ;)

Jason, here's some information if you're interested.

Manhattan New York LDS (Mormon) Temple

M.

Thanks. The article mentions a separate door in the lobby to go into the actual temple, which I saw when I went. I assumed that that's what it was for (very ornate).

Is a "distribution center" just like a bookstore or something with all of the things found on the LDS.org catalog?