New revelations and/or texts in the future?

Choseph

Do you think there will be new revelations and/or texts discovered in the future or is what we have now all we have in this life? I have been discussing this with my friend and I'm still not sure where I stand. The thought of new revelations is exciting to me but part of me thinks we would already have it if we were intended to have it.

Any thoughts/comments/input is welcome. Thanks.

Choseph

I'm actually kind of surprised that the Proclamation On The Family has not been formally canonized.

To answer the question, yes, I believe there will be revelations and texts in the future that we will become aware of as needed. I heard a church leader once talk about how we may someday, possibly in the Millenium, find writings of remnants of the 10 Lost Tribes, and possible dealings they had with God and Christ.Portions of that might be considered scripture.

Do you think there will be new revelations and/or texts discovered in the future or is what we have now all we have in this life? I have been discussing this with my friend and I'm still not sure where I stand. The thought of new revelations is exciting to me but part of me thinks we would already have it if we were intended to have it.

Choseph

Most certainly.

We believe all that God has revealed, all that He does now reveal, and we believe that He will yet reveal many great and important things pertaining to the Kingdom of God. (Articles of Faith 1:9)

The Book of Mormon also offers us some clues. For example, Christ taught the ancient Americans that he would visit others, whom he had not before visited, and teach them as well.

And verily, verily, I say unto you that I have other sheep, which are not of this land, neither of the land of Jerusalem, neither in any parts of that land round about whither I have been to minister. For they of whom I speak are they who have not as yet heard my voice; neither have I at any time manifested myself unto them. But I have received a commandment of the Father that I shall go unto them, and that they shall hear my voice, and shall be numbered among my sheep, that there may be one fold and one shepherd; therefore I go to show myself unto them. (3 Nephi 16:1-3)

The presumption is that these people also wrote records, and one day they will come forth as well.

Also, not all of the "golden plates" were translated. There was a sealed portion, that will be unsealed in due time, and add to our canon precious knowledge that we do not have at this time.

And it shall come to pass that the Lord God shall bring forth unto you the words of a book, and they shall be the words of them which have slumbered. And behold the book shall be sealed; and in the book shall be a revelation from God, from the beginning of the world to the ending thereof. . . .Wherefore the book shall be kept fromthem. . . . For the book shall be sealed by the power of God, and the revelation which was sealed shall be kept in the book until the own due time of the Lord, that they may come forth; for behold, they reveal all things from the foundation of the world unto the end thereof. (2 Nephi 27:6–8, 10)

Regards,

Vanhin

I'm actually kind of surprised that the Proclamation On The Family has not been formally canonized.

I think it is because it is not introducing any new doctrine, but is reaffirming existing doctrines that have been consistent and long standing, and can be found from the scriptures. This includes the doctrine of "heavenly parents" or a mother in heaven.

However, official proclamations are part of our canon and can be referenced as binding doctrine.

With divine inspiration, the First Presidency (the prophet and his two counselors) and the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles (the second-highest governing body of the Church) counsel together to establish doctrine that is consistently proclaimed in official Church publications. This doctrine resides in the four “standard works” of scripture (the Holy Bible, the Book of Mormon, the Doctrine and Covenants and the Pearl of Great Price), official declarations and proclamations, and the Articles of Faith. (Approaching Mormon Doctrine - LDS Newsroom)

The main difference between official declarations and proclamations is that one is used to clarify or reaffirm existing doctrine that is found in the Standard Works, and the other (Official Declarations) are used to modify or supersede existing doctrines, practices, or policies. Both OD 1 and OD 2 supersede existing doctrines, practices, and policies; namely, those having to do with plural marriage and blacks and the priesthood.

Regards,

Vanhin

Edited by Vanhin

There are many major revelations, etc., to be received. We have yet to receive the writings of the Lost Tribes, Enoch, the sealed portions of the Book of Mormon, etc.

And we have yet to receive the revelations on how to resurrect a being, create a world, etc. There is much left to learn, some for this life, and some for the next.

Just an opinion, but once the Church as a whole begins living the revelations we've already received, then we'll be more privy to the revelations the Brothern receive. We don't seem to appreciate what we've been given, so why would the Lord give us more?

Agreed. We learn line upon line, precept upon precept. The Lord wanted to reveal all his doctrine to the Israelites with Moses, but they weren't ready for it. This is why there was the Law of Moses (part of the reason, anyway. The other part of the reason was that Christ needed to come to fulfill that law). They lived a law of following commandments and offering sacrifice. When Chirst came, the world was ready to receive more doctrine, and the Law of Moses was expounded upon.

The Book of Mormon was brought forth at a time when the world was ready to receive it.

So, who's to say there isn't more to come? When people (for the most part) were living the Law of Moses, Christ came to fulfill that law. When people (again for the most part) were walking uprightly before Christ, we received the Book of Mormon. So when the people as a whole (for the most part) are abiding by the precepts found in the Book of Mormon, we will receive more truths.

Personal revelation is meant to be an ongoing thing in our own lives. I know that when I stay as close to our Father as I can, I often have inspiration out of the blue. Blessing are poured out and I have more understanding than I previously had.

If we truly believe in a living God, we can look forward with faith and anticipation for the day when God reveals more to us.

Choseph

Absolutely, and hopefully before thee second coming occurs.