"Goodly" as used in The Book of Mormon

The scripture reference in the footnotes is:

A good name is rather to be chosen than great riches, and loving favour rather than silver and gold.

I think there is ample evidence that Lehi was no poor man, Nephi felt he had sufficient property to entice someone as obviously connected (the powerful tend towards wealth) as Laban. That said I've always taken it as he was praising his parents as being wise, honest, and moral as opposed to some sort of boasting in their wealth.

Considering the man that Nephi was, I would think he would be using the word "goodly" more as moral, honest, good people.

Personally I don't see Nephi as bragging about his family's wealth. Laman and Lemuel yes because it is mentioned they murmurred against their father. They didn't like going into the desert and leaving all their personal wealth and style of life behind.

A couple of quotes from past Prophets concerning this scripture:

Joseph F. Smith

“After all, to do well those things which God ordained to be the common lot of all man-kind, is the truest greatness. To be a successful father or a successful mother is greater than to be a successful general or a successful statesman. One is universal and eternal greatness, the other is ephemeral….Let us not be trying to substitute and artificial life for the true one.” (Gospel Doctrine, p. 358, taken from Latter-day Commentary on the Book of Mormon, compiled by K. Douglas Bassett, p.2)

Heber J. Grant

“We have heard gratitude expressed by many of the speakers because they, like Nephi of old, have been born of goodly parents. I feel that I would be unworthy the wonderful teachings and the magnificent and splendid example of a widowed mother who reared me, if I too did not lift my voice here today and thank God for a mother who loved Him, who loved the religion of Jesus Christ, whose life was an example above reproach, than whom I knew no more loyal, patriotic and true Woman among the Latter-day Saints. I thank the Lord for my father, although I never knew him. I have had love lavished upon me by the leaders of this Church and by influential men from one end of this country to the other, because of the love and respect which they felt for my father… It is indeed a wonderful and a splendid thing to be born of goodly parents; and it is one of the saddest of all sad things where the sons and the daughters of goodly parents are recreant to the faith of their parents, when they are careless and indifferent, where they fail to honor their fathers and their mothers, and thereby fail to honor their God, where they follow after the things of this world, and allow the ideas of men to blind them.” (Conference Report, April 1913, p. 112 - 113.)

I think we also need to read the very next part of that scripture to get a clearer view on what he was referring to:

1 I, Nephi, having been born of goodly parents, therefore I was taught somewhat in all the learning of my father; and having seen many afflictions in the course of my days, nevertheless, having been highly favored of the Lord in all my days; yea, having had a great knowledge of the goodness and the mysteries of God, therefore I make a record of my proceedings in my days.

I second the moral thing

From the Ensign article

Born of Goodly Parents

Joseph Smith was prepared to be a prophet by righteous parents.

Young Joseph learned from his parents that praying and studying the scriptures were important. Because his parents taught him well, he knew how to find the answers to his questions.

I don't think anyone would describe Josephs family as "goodly", as in a financially well of sort of way.

There is also a talk I read recently where it was stated that the Prophets and General Authorities were all born of goodly parents who taught their sons to live righteously and morally. I'll see if I can find that article.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't see goodly as refering to wealth, mainly because neither in Hebrew (the word tob) nor in the KJV is it used to denote wealth, but to denote quality.

Here is what good could mean in 1820s America:

Having moral qualities best adapted to its design and use, or the qualities which God's law requires; virtuous; pious; religious; applied to persons, and opposed to bad, vitious, wicked, evil.