What is the basis of a decision?

lizzy12

Dear whoever,

Just a random thingy i wrote during study hall :) I know its long but I would love some feedback.

love,

liz

What is the basis of a decision? Why do we choose an orange napkin over a blue? Why do we get the polka dot socks rather than the striped socks? Why did you pick that spoon rather than the one right next it which is just as close? How do people pick a certain insignificant object over another? And Why?

The human mind is a beautiful thing and unraveling the many strings of secrets that it beholds is a never ending journey. Is it peer pressure that makes us pick the orange napkin? Did a friend also pick an orange napkin or perhaps an enemy picked the blue. Do we subconsciously pick the orange napkin once are friend did in an effort to hide and not stand out. Or is the decision a conscious one, are we actually thinking “Orange is for me if I pick blue people might notice and judge me with my enemy in mind.” Or is that implying too much into the average persons thoughts and intentions. Why blue? Why Orange? Why Stripes? Is it because it’s are favorite pattern? Why does a person find stripes more appealing then polka dots? “Just Because”?

Can such a decision influence are lives? I would say so. An average woman decides to wear her blue blouse. She has no reason nor does she realize at that point the impact it could have. The women walk down the street, into the bank and waits. A man nears and compliments her on her blue shirt; it draws the eyes up to her round, light blue eyes. They decide to go on a date, and another and another. They get married. When telling of their meeting do they mention this blue shirt? Did the blue shirt even matter? Was it the shirt that caught the attention? If it was the shirt what if she had worn the green one instead? Would she still be years later in this same mans company laughing at the dinner table telling about their meeting? Could a decision as simple as the color of a shirt influence some one’s life?

Challenge ?

- Make your own short story/blurb about a miniscule decision influencing some one’s life.

- Could a decision as simple as the color of a shirt influence some one’s life?

- What is the basis of a decision?

Guest Godless

The short answer is that many of the mundane decisions we make on a daily basis are spurred by habit. We pick the orange napkin because we've always chosen it. Why switch to the blue one when the orange one works just fine for us and always has?

Short story? Okay. ;) How about a true one?

There comes a point in time in everyone's life when they're hanging upside down in a car, the windows smashed out and clinging to the ceiling by the straps of their seatbelts, when they realize they should re-evaluate their life. I look around me. My heart is pounding.

Broken glass is everywhere. Wet snow is sliding in to the side where a few shards of glass still stand, bravely clinging to the car door like the last few wisps of hair on an old man's head.

"Is everyone okay?" I hear myself asking. Maybe it's the blood rushing to my head from hanging upside down; Maybe it's shock, but I feel very far away from where I am at that moment. There's a disconnect from what I'm doing. Several murmurs of assent are heard.

I undo my seat buckle and the ceiling of the car rushes towards me. My head makes a sound like a hollow coconut hitting tin; If this were a movie, it would be pleasing to the Three Stooges afficionados out there, but I don't appreciate it at the time. Despite a sea of broken glass, I don't cut myself as I unentangle the rest of my body. It doesn't fall so much as collapse to join its head.

I dig myself out of the wet snow and stand up. The acrid stench of the thousands of cars that pass this way every few minutes fills the air. It smells like brimstone and gasoline.

I thought about how I got there. It was February. Unseasonably warm the last couple of days. It had rained the night before and puddles slicked over ice patches. We hit a deceptively deep puddle: Four relatively big guys in a tiny Turcell, road tripping from University. We spun out, crossed four lanes of traffic and ended up in a ditch off of the 401 coming back home.

The three other guys who were there: Pete, Adam, David Moore and myself. We stared at the car. It was Dave's.

"My car's rusty." He says. There's tears in his eyes. He's in shock.

"I don't think it matters any more, Dave." - I can't remember if it was Pete or me that said that. Agreement is echoed.

A simple decision: Should we hop in the car and go visit some friends for Reading Week? It ended up in a ditch with a shattered car, which led to me investigating religion and reading the bible from front to back, which led to me joining the church, which led to me moving away from home.

I'm now in England.

Edited by FunkyTown

good night,

you want a story, well I'll tell one.

Actually happened, I never mentioned that to someone. My father had an accident at home, he lay on the ground, his head full of blood in the garage, our first reaction was of 'call emergencies. We were shocked, unable to respond, it was late eleven o'clock approximately. I was not there they told me I was young I was asleep. Firefighters and the ambulance came too late. My father was taken to hospital for major head trauma. The next day the hospital called my mother had to make a choice with us his children. she explained the situation he had fallen, we never knew what really happened. The choice was that he was in a coma .. Should it disconnect the ventilator or not?

My mother has taken her, she was crying too .. We have said that later the little five year my sister. My mother chose to unplug it, it was death or a vegetative state .. My father died very quickly. I think we made the right choice. People who remain in coma out differently, excuse me, I cry. This was a very difficult one. But we did not force ...

A choice like that is the very hard to take.I am so sorry .. it is no longer here with us. It was the best choice for him, the doctors had little hope

Good afternoon personne. It is a pleasure to meet you! :)

good night,

you want a story, well I'll tell one.

Actually happened, I never mentioned that to someone. My father had an accident at home, he lay on the ground, his head full of blood in the garage, our first reaction was of 'call emergencies. We were shocked, unable to respond, it was late eleven o'clock approximately. I was not there they told me I was young I was asleep. Firefighters and the ambulance came too late. My father was taken to hospital for major head trauma. The next day the hospital called my mother had to make a choice with us his children. she explained the situation he had fallen, we never knew what really happened. The choice was that he was in a coma .. Should it disconnect the ventilator or not?

My mother has taken her, she was crying too .. We have said that later the little five year my sister. My mother chose to unplug it, it was death or a vegetative state .. My father died very quickly. I think we made the right choice. People who remain in coma out differently, excuse me, I cry. This was a very difficult one. But we did not force ...

A choice like that is the very hard to take.I am so sorry .. it is no longer here with us. It was the best choice for him, the doctors had little hope

This is a very sad story. I did not enjoy reading it. I can only imagine how difficult of a decision this must have been for your family. :(

Regards,

Finrock

personne Bon après-midi. C'est un plaisir de vous rencontrer! :)

C'est une histoire très triste. Je n'aimais pas lire. Je peux seulement imaginer la difficulté d'une décision de ce devait être pour votre famille. : (

Observe,

Finrock [/ QUOTE]

Good day to you. Yes .. terrible decision to make sometimes we have little choice. Thank you for your message. Also happy to speak with you. :wub: